HPL oil choice for a 600hp V8 TT?

No they're different oils. I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong though.

This is not the same product.

This comes up quite frequently.

This is not the HPL we are talking about....different brand...

This is not the HPL we are talking about....different brand...

That's what he put in his car...

Screenshot_20230921_075013_Samsung Internet.jpg

What is the benefit of doing away with the dipstick?

I had a BMW for a while that had a sensor to report the coolant level. That thing was a BIG pain. Down a skosh and the dash light came on all for just a few ounces of coolant.
the benefit is for service departments with the most current diagnostic equipment and paying customers.

Lets face it, it is a German Car, so it takes special training to put coolant and oil in it.. :)

Id consider using an oil that is ACTUALLY mb 229.5 and porsche a40 CERTIFIED.

Neither HPL oils are.

They're not certified to those OEM specs for good reason. Not only would the ROI not be there, but HPL would have to dumb down their oils, make them perform worse, in order to meet some of those certs. They're not going to sacrifice quality for a cert, that's just not who they are.

Certs and approvals are good for weeding out the cheap gas station brands selling line flush as engine oil. They don't have much redeeming value beyond that.

Right that's why I posted that link. It's different form the HPL we talk about on here. (y)
Correct. Blended in the same plant, by the same people, but the chemistry choices are different. The silver bottled products are blended for, IIRC, the guy that owns Precision Turbo, to his spec's, they aren't Dr. Rudnick's products.

And he apparently ordered it on

https://www.advlubrication.com/

So now here is what the OP had delivered....

Screenshot_20230921_092205_Samsung Internet.jpg

Which that company also offers this ....

Screenshot_20230921_092332_Samsung Internet.jpg

Which means they are the same as or different from....

This line of oils???

Screenshot_20230921_091859_Samsung Internet.jpg

And this line of oils????

Screenshot_20230921_091928_Samsung Internet.jpg

They're not certified to those OEM specs for good reason. Not only would the ROI not be there, but HPL would have to dumb down their oils, make them perform worse, in order to meet some of those certs. They're not going to sacrifice quality for a cert, that's just not who they are.

Certs and approvals are good for weeding out the cheap gas station brands selling line flush as engine oil. They don't have much redeeming value beyond that.

That's a very interesting way of looking at oil quality certifications. In my industry we look at them a little bit differently. So does Mercedes Benz.

That's a very interesting way of looking at oil quality certifications. In my industry we look at them a little bit differently. So does Mercedes Benz.

Yeah, because Mercedes has to assume that the average owner is clueless about oil. (which they are) They provide a cert so the owner has at least something to go by for a minimum standard for their engine. Those of us here, we know what those standards are, how the tests are performed, the (low) bar that's set for passing those tests, and how base oil blends and additive chemistry come together to define the quality of an oil. That's what we come here for. That's the whole basis for this forum.

The way in which certs and approvals are conducted makes them cost prohibitive to anyone who isn't a major additive company or global multi-national conglomerate. It costs well into the six figures to get an oil formula tested for MB 229.5 (for example) and then you're locked into that exact formula. A blender cannot deviate from that formula. So say Brand A purchases an approved add pack from Lubrizol, they must blend it to the base oil and VII specified in the formula that was used for testing. If the blender wants to add a little extra anti-oxidant to improve service life, they can't do it and keep the cert. If they want to add some ester to improve cleaning and thermal stability, they can't use the cert. Even though the oil is better with those additions, the formula used for the cert didn't include it so they can't put it in there and use the cert. It forces the blenders into a small box chemistry wise with no room for deviation. If you want to make a better quality oil, you either have to accept the indirect ceiling created by the cert or ditch the cert to make a better product.

If HPL was seeking API, ACEA, MB, VW, etc... certs and approvals, they'd have to dumb their oils way down, get rid of a lot of the chemistry that makes the oil perform as good as it does, in order to meet those certs. They're not going to do that, especially considering the vast majority of their customer base doesn't care much for certs anyway. Their oils would easily crush the lab and live engine tests for MB 229.5, but it's not worth forking out six figures just to end up locked in that formula. They're constantly testing new additive chemistry and base oils to find ways to improve their products. A cert would hinder them much more than it would help, even if it costs them nothing.

Last edited:
Yeah, because Mercedes has to assume that the average owner is clueless about oil. (which they are) They provide a cert so the owner has at least something to go by for a minimum standard for their engine. Those of us here, we know what those standards are, how the tests are performed, the (low) bar that's set for passing those tests, and how base oil blends and additive chemistry come together to define the quality of an oil. That's what we come here for. That's the whole basis for this forum.

The way in which certs and approvals are conducted makes them cost prohibitive to anyone who isn't a major additive company or global multi-national conglomerate. It costs well into the six figures to get an oil formula tested for MB 229.5 (for example) and then you're locked into that exact formula. A blender cannot deviate from that formula. So say Brand A purchases an approved add pack from Lubrizol, they must blend it to the base oil and VII specified in the formula that was used for testing. If the blender wants to add a little extra anti-oxidant to improve service life, they can't do it and keep the cert. If they want to add some ester to improve cleaning and thermal stability, they can't use the cert. Even though the oil is better with those additions, the formula used for the cert didn't include it so they can't put it in there and use the cert. It forces the blenders into a small box chemistry wise with no room for deviation. If you want to make a better quality oil, you either have to accept the indirect ceiling created by the cert or ditch the cert to make a better product.

If HPL was seeking API, ACEA, MB, VW, etc... certs and approvals, they'd have to dumb their oils way down, get rid of a lot of the chemistry that makes the oil perform as good as it does, in order to meet those certs. They're not going to do that, especially considering the vast majority of their customer base doesn't care much for certs.
Even if they didn't have to dumb them down, HPL knows what's going on in terms of the requirements.

All, after researching the orders, there were 2 orders placed one with us at advlubrication.com on our webstore and yet another on our distributor’s site hploil.com. Both orders were filled and shipped correctly. The OP does have the oil he needs and there is zero concerns about running the Silver HPL 5w40 in his engine regardless of spec. This oil is designed for 4 digit horsepower and has excellent results at yes, 4000 hp.

I do apologize for the confusion between our distributor and us. This relationship was in place long before we appeared on BITOG.

Everything was handled correctly without mistakes.

David

So, I've got a 640HP C63 with the M177. I run redline 0w40 and motul 300v 5w40. Going to try this Amsoil 0w40 next change. The HPL products are nice, but I've been using redline and motul for 25 years. BTW Mobil 1 0w40 is awesome, and its cheap. My buddy with a 700hp 911 Turbo S runs it.

Last edited:
Nice car :)

I’m still in that phase where I’m afraid to mess with the engine. I have seen all the goodies available, such as from Weistec. Maybe when it’s not my daily driver :unsure:

All, after researching the orders, there were 2 orders placed one with us at advlubrication.com on our webstore and yet another on our distributor’s site hploil.com. Both orders were filled and shipped correctly. The OP does have the oil he needs and there is zero concerns about running the Silver HPL 5w40 in his engine regardless of spec. This oil is designed for 4 digit horsepower and has excellent results at yes, 4000 hp.

I do apologize for the confusion between our distributor and us. This relationship was in place long before we appeared on BITOG.

David

So silver HPL 5w40 (what the OP put in) is the same as the silver HPL euro 5w40 is the same as the bitog HPL euro 5w40 and supercar 5w40?

David
Ahhh, so he is in possession of both products and got confused as to which was ordered from which site then?

No, I have another case of regular PCMO ordered from hploil.com, The Super Car was ordered separately from advlubrication.com afterwards, but it was probably fulfilled from hploil because of my previous order. Technically an error, but I don’t have issue with it, and Dave assures me the Super Car in the grey bottles will be fine for my car. I will still send it off for a VOA.

So silver HPL 5w40 (what the OP put in) is the same as the silver HPL euro 5w40 is the same as the bitog HPL euro 5w40 and supercar 5w40?
The HPL silver bottle oils are not the same oils as the High Performance Lubricants black bottle oils.

Example, here is the silver bottle 0W-20:
2007 GM 6.2L w/186k, HPL PD 0w20 w/3400 | Bob Is The Oil Guy
Note the BL:
1695312657944.jpg

Here's the bottle (from the same thread):
1695312684359.jpg

Here's the HPL Super Car 0W-20 (sample #2 is the BL):
High Performance Lubricants Super Car "Overkill" 0W-20 VOA | Bob Is The Oil Guy
1695312739213.jpg

Here's the bottle:
1695312756790.jpg

Note the vastly different levels of: