Best performing oil for track use - Camaro SS

Hey guys

I need to prepare my car for the track and due an oil change tomorrow -
GM calls for 0w40 or 5w40 Dexos 2 for this engine on track, the oils I could use are
Motul 0w40 X-Max
Motul 5w40 X-Cess
Motul 5w40 X-Clean (which has Dexos 2 approval)
or Castrol Edge 5w40 (also Dexos2)

In terms of quality and performance, considering I don't care much about my catalytic converter's life, which would be the best oil to use?
I've read that the motul X-Cess and X-Max have MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 while the X-Clean has the 229.51, which I've read has less protection for the engine but is easier on the cats.

Which would be the best performance oil?
Oil temps range from 15-135 degrees C.

Thank you!

For track use I'd actually go with m1 15w-50 as 250f+ temps will thin oil down a lot. A 40 can be thinned to a 20. But any 40 grade with good ratings like a40 will be fine. I assume your Camaro has magnetic ride control.

Hey guys

GM calls for 0w40 or 5w40 Dexos 2 for this engine on track, the oils I could use are
Motul 0w40 X-Max
Motul 5w40 X-Cess

In terms of quality and performance, considering I don't care much about my catalytic converter's life, which would be the best oil to use?
I've read that the motul X-Cess and X-Max have MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 while the X-Clean has the 229.51, which I've read has less protection for the engine but is easier on the cats.

Thank you!
When used with ultra-low sulphur gasoline (ULSG*) there is no performance difference between 229.50 and 229.51 oils.

Having to chose from the list I would probably opt for X-Cess because the HTHS is every so slightly higher than the others (3.7 vs 3.6).

*ULSG has been mandated in the US since 2020-21.

I'd run M1 0W-40, like I have in every other track car that I've owned. Hasn't failed me yet!

That is why HTHS is better value to go with.
Yeah, for track I'd rather have 4.5 with less VII than 3.7 with more but it's ok to use a 40 grade. It just makes me nervous when the average oil temp read by the sensor gets up to a peak of 135c when flooring it under high load.

Yeah, for track I'd rather have 4.5 with less VII than 3.7 with more but it's ok to use a 40 grade. It just makes me nervous when the average oil temp read by the sensor gets up to a peak of 135c when flooring it under high load.
I was running Mobil1 0W40 for 5k and temperatures reaching 300f in BMW on track. I am not that fond of new API SP M1 0W40, but there are a lot of good options there that have Porsche A40 approval which has track test.
15W50 is nothing special. It will shear down fast. If higher HTHS is necessary, which is not in his case, Motul 0/5W40 300V or Redline 5W40 is better option. Actually in Camaro SS he could run thick XW30 like German Castrol or Redline 5W30.
15W50 will affect performance, will create more heat.

At 275+ F I’d be using an oil cooler, if there was already one in place,
I’d get a better / bigger one.

The factory oil cooler in my 2002 Jaguar XKR is operational when the oil temperature is above 217 F y way of an oil diverter valve which begins to open between 217- 226 F and is fully open at 246 F. And this is on a car unlikely to have been engineered to be at home on a race track. It’s just too dang heavy to be anything but a GT road car.
Many summertimes I have been driving in heavy stop and go traffic in south Texas when the oil temperature did get up in the 240’s before it stabilized. Once the car was moving at highway speeds again it would drop to 225-230 F pretty quickly.

From the Jag shop manual:

The valve is fitted between the oil pump outlet and the oil filter inlet.
The oil diverter valve operates thermostatically and at higher temperatures diverts the oil through the oil cooler. The valve begins to open between 103°C and 107°C and is fully open, diverting 100% of the oil, at 119°C.
( Opens : 217 F to 226 F
Fully Open: 246 F)

At 275+ F I’d be using an oil cooler, if there was already one in place,
I’d get a better / bigger one.

The factory oil cooler in my 2002 Jaguar XKR is operational when the oil temperature is above 217 F y way of an oil diverter valve which begins to open between 217- 226 F and is fully open at 246 F. And this is on a car unlikely to have been engineered to be at home on a race track. It’s just too dang heavy to be anything but a GT road car.
Many summertimes I have been driving in heavy stop and go traffic in south Texas when the oil temperature did get up in the 240’s before it stabilized. Once the car was moving at highway speeds again it would drop to 225-230 F pretty quickly.

From the Jag shop manual:

The valve is fitted between the oil pump outlet and the oil filter inlet.
The oil diverter valve operates thermostatically and at higher temperatures diverts the oil through the oil cooler. The valve begins to open between 103°C and 107°C and is fully open, diverting 100% of the oil, at 119°C.
( Opens : 217 F to 226 F
Fully Open: 246 F)
275 is still acceptable. But, not much room for error, mostly if he goes on higher altitude tracks. 275 here in Colorado at the High Plains Raceway is EXCELLENT! 275f at the sea level is bit problematic.
SS should have oil cooler.

@Tals975 dilute coolant with distilled water. Run 10% coolant concetrate and rest distilled water. Remove any cowling under the hood or engine covers.

Mobil1 Supercar is dexosR in either 0w40 or 5w50. I believe it was formulated in collaboration with GM for the Corvette/Camaro in mind. States it's suitable for use in everyday driving and high performance track events. I used the 0w40 in my econobox commuter a while back, but have no experience on the track with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I ended up going with the 5w40 X-Cess
The car can use either 5w30 for non-track use or 0/5w40 for track use so it should be fine according to GM.

Porsche a40 xw-40/Dexos R in colder temps and if not running R compound or slicks. 15w-50 works great (edit: and cheaper) for those hotter conditions with more lateral g's. I see 275F oil temps every track event. Its the corners that you need the thicker viscosity especially with R compound tires at the lateral grip your car is capable of.

Hey guys

Motul 0w40 X-Max
Motul 5w40 X-Cess

Thank you!
M1 0w40 super car is all you need

My feeling is any quality major brand is going to work for you. How many cars on the track do you think see 100,000 miles and are still competitive?

OP left the building

IMG_2141.jpg

Back