truck has bad vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle-87 Mazda pickup 2 whl drive

Problem- When I drive the car it starts to shudder really bad, it used to be only at high speeds (45+) and when I would brake (plus the truck would pull to one side when braking) now it does it a lot, well today I smelt some burning and the front right side wheel was extremely hot. I took the car into the shop and they (along with my dad) think that the caliper is dragging on the front right brake and that the rotors were warped. Does this sound like the likely culpret? Would this cause the truck steering to vibrate when driving and not even touching the brake? Ideas? Thanks

Cost- new pads, rotors, reman. calipers, labor

Another vote yes, and a strong suggestion that you have the shop (or whomever does the job) to completely flush all the old brake fluid out of the system and replace with new. Just like coolant, motor oil and ATF, brake fluid should be changed at regular intervals.

Exactly what the others have said. And like Mike242GT said, make sure they flush the old fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, and this will corrode the inside of your brake lines and calipers. Your stuck caliper may be caused by this corrosion. Some say brake fluid should be flushed annually, but honestly, mine only gets done about every 2 years. It's not a really well-known maintenance item, and I'll bet most people never do it at all.

Dave

The shop is going to bleed/replace the brake fluid, they are doing a complete brake job (not just the pads) including new rotors and reman. calipers (and hardware)it comes with a 25,000 mile/36 month parts and labor warranty, I just hope this solves the shaking, I'm also getting it aligned too I'll let you know how it turns out.

quote:

brake fluid should be changed at regular intervals.

Now let me say that I'm not arguing here. That is, far too many people insist on doing this ....

....but I've never done it ever ..and have had virturally the same brake fluid in a number of vehilces for many many years. That is, aside from any that "may" have been added when servicing the brakes.

I've had no troubles what so ever because of brake fluid.

What blessing am I bestowed with that all of you seem to lack??
grin.gif

Gary, you are right. Calipers and wheel cylinders do need to be rebuilt occasionally, if for no other problem than the rubber gets old and loses its elasticity. You lose enough brake fluid on the rebuilds, that it is all replaced before it goes bad. The old Mazda likely pushed a caliper rebuild too long and ended up with a corroded piston. Unnecessary messing about with the brake fluid can cause more problems than it solves, including broken bleed screws. I worked for an old pro in a brake shop for 3 years. He was strong on rebuild every pad change, but never suggested changing fluid. Maybe the Wagner fluid he sold was as good as he thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back