Toyota Service Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to Toyota vehicles. In the past, with Ford trucks I was able to buy Ford branded service contracts from online dealers significantly cheaper than buying them from the dealerships where the vehicles were purchased.

Can anyone point me towards a similar thing for Toyota?

Check with Toyotanation forum, IIRC, there is somebody there from a dealership that sells it cheaper than local dealership.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Check with Toyotanation forum, IIRC, there is somebody there from a dealership that sells it cheaper than local dealership.

Thanks!

Our friends purchased a RAV4 and also, a service contract from their Toyota dealer for some extra services beyond the 2 yr Toyota Service which I believe, has some oil/filter changes.

Consumer Reports says to avoid service contracts in most cases. Huge profit item for dealer. I looked at one for pickup and it would not cover any of the expensive exhaust system parts. Always lots of overlap with mfg warranty.

Its a Toyota, so why would you waste your $$ buying the extended warranty? You've been conditioned by your Ford experience to always get an extended....this is a Toyota we speak of...not a Ford. Its a whole new world!! ;-)

Toyota's are among the most dependable cars in the world. Sure you might hear about that very, very rear problem where an extended warranty would've saved the day, but the chances are exceedingly small.

I've owned several Toyotas and put a combined million miles across all of them and never had a failure. This is anecdotal evidence at best, but I would suggest you not buy the extended and just save your $$. Its a safe gamble.

Last edited:
There is a dealer who sells them extremely cheap. Like 700 vs 1500 cheap. From what I remember, they can no longer advertise this, but still offer it. Google it, the info is out there on old forum postings.

I don't think you need it. 36k bumper to bumper, 0-60k drivetrain. Anything that was going to fail would have already, and most likely now will go past 100k with no issues.

toyota is also good about extending warranties for years that have known problems, such as the air pumps on tundras(4-5k replacement cost), frames on tundras, etc. I think they warranty up to 12 years on the two I just listed.

Most likely not to have a problem, than to have one with a toyota in my expieriences.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Its a Toyota, so why would you waste your $$ buying the extended warranty? You've been conditioned by your Ford experience to always get an extended....this is a Toyota we speak of...not a Ford. Its a whole new world!! ;-)

Toyota's are among the most dependable cars in the world. Sure you might hear about that very, very rear problem where an extended warranty would've saved the day, but the chances are exceedingly small.

I've owned several Toyotas and put a combined million miles across all of them and never had a failure. This is anecdotal evidence at best, but I would suggest you not buy the extended and just save your $$. Its a safe gamble.

The OP didn't post about a bad experience w/Ford. IMO an extended warranty is a waste of money for most cars unless you're mechanically helpless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back