Mercedes prepaid service. Worth it?

My wife’s 2021 Mercedes GLC 4Matic suv has completed its first three services. When I purchased the car, these were included. The dealership is offering a package price for the next three services. Aside from the usual oil change, cabin filter changes it includes 2 brake fluid changes, transmission oil and filter change, and spark plugs.

The list price for theses services is $4070. The prepaid price is $1920. I would normally have an independent mechanic do this work, but if this engine fails I hope having the service done at the dealer would garner some good will. Not sure this is still an issue with this engine.

The problem is that you are binding yourself to dealership service. In the context of a dealership, the price for those services seems okay, although if you add up the actual cost of materials, even expensive MB-spec fluids, you don't really get there. There is no possibility that this car needs spark plugs anytime in the next three services. Also no call for 2 brake fluid changes in this window, although MB no doubt asks for one. Trans fluid and filter may be in the same boat. I do respect your question as it shows thought about the very important topic of automotive maintenance.

'I do respect your question as it shows thought about the very important topic of automotive maintenance.' Echo TomYoung. Most of the mentioned services are within the capabilities of a skilled DIYer. Skip the $2K prepay, get the required tools and parts yourself. A MB is a car not a space shuttle.

Last edited:
There is no shame, IMO, going to the MB dealer particularly for the tranny and spark plug services. Having a relationship with and getting into the good graces of the service writer can only benefit you down the road.

If you don't want to DIY, plan to keep the vehicle and are happy with the dealer service, then I think it's a good deal. They're banking on you moving, selling the car or totaling it and not cashing in on the services.

My wife’s 2021 Mercedes GLC 4Matic suv has completed its first three services. When I purchased the car, these were included. The dealership is offering a package price for the next three services. Aside from the usual oil change, cabin filter changes it includes 2 brake fluid changes, transmission oil and filter change, and spark plugs.

The list price for theses services is $4070. The prepaid price is $1920. I would normally have an independent mechanic do this work, but if this engine fails I hope having the service done at the dealer would garner some good will. Not sure this is still an issue with this engine.

Does this transmission need some special procedure? Otherwise I don’t see how the package price, let alone the retail, is justified. Shows you just how much of a ripoff these luxury brand makes are overpriced for this stuff.

Check out some of the M-B forums; some extended warranty and maintenance plan prices are negotiable and can be purchased from other M-B dealers at a considerable savings.

Does this transmission need some special procedure? Otherwise I don’t see how the package price, let alone the retail, is justified. Shows you just how much of a ripoff these luxury brand makes are overpriced for this stuff.
Sometimes I think some owners are proud of extravagant spending. Each to their own. Others just think dealer oil or tires or whatever must be better just because.

Lexus gave us a deal on the RX services and we took it. It is fun going to their fancy-pants dealership, looking at the cars, drinking their coffee and eating their food. I'm sorry I got sucked in like that; stupid is as stupid does.

My M-B dealer is very reasonable and provides excellent service so I use them.
I have a BMW Rewards Mastercard that I put virtually every purchase on. I have enough points that I haven’t paid for service on my BMWs for at least two years. I use my excess points to buy items on Amazon or when buying something using PayPal.

Yes. Prices keep going up and up, and maintenance costs on a modern Mercedes... yeah, buy the prepaid service and extended warranty.

I would cross reference the offered services in the packages with your actual maintenance schedule. Will you hit these items in the next three services?
Check if these services are going to be doing anything of significance, and if its only a couple hundred more than your indy will charge, then it might be worth the goodwill potential, if your engine is known to fail.
If they are just inspecting and spraying injector cleaner, etc... then its better to save your money and spend it at the indy actually doing something.

Back