Toyota 4 Runner with 225k miles and filter not changed in over 3 years...

After seeing some of those mangled, new spin-on filters, I have new respect for the newer cartridge style ones!

Absolutely. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Merc, Audi and on and on have been using cartridges for decades and decades and decades.

Funny fact. The c8 z06 had to go from spin on filter to cartridge filter because they couldn't keep the spin on filters from unscrewing by themselves over the nvh.

I bought a work truck to add to the fleet. Never owned a car with this many miles...

Looked at Carfax and it was both dealership serviced as well as by a local tire shop.

Last oil change was supposedly performed 3 months and 800 miles ago.

Here was the filter. Apparently because it's in an ever so slightly difficult place to reach people just decided to leave it in for 3.5 years....

View attachment 158405

View attachment 158406

View attachment 158404

View attachment 158403

View attachment 158408

Ran EPR through the engine to clean it....

View attachment 158409

Oil is completely liquefied by this stuff. Zero globs or even crusties.

View attachment 158410
Looks like it took a few rounds!

Funny fact. The c8 z06 had to go from spin on filter to cartridge filter because they couldn't keep the spin on filters from unscrewing by themselves over the nvh.
Same thing happened with the Mustang GT-350 with the "Voodoo" V8 having a cross-plane crank, which the C8 also has a cross-plane crank and that's where the vibes come from.

Same thing happened with the Mustang GT-350 with the "Voodoo" V8 having a cross-plane crank, which the C8 also has a cross-plane crank and that's where the vibes come from.
High RPM’s in racing led to your favorite filter having wire holes😷
(in the 1” nut) …

Absolutely. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Merc, Audi and on and on have been using cartridges for decades and decades and decades.

the new style cartridge oil filters that are installed from the top down are quite nice, but the old style cartridge filters the installed from the bottom up were generally a mess. Hence the spin on filter was an improvement in many cases. But I believe the cartridge style was first and the spin on came later. thats why when someone says " what goes around comes around" is usually a true statement. :)

I've cut open three different random brand new m1 filters now with poorly manufactured media...

View attachment 158425
I contacted Mobil about this issue of torn filter media over the weekend and received a reply very early this morning, "Your inquiry has reached the Mobil motor oil support desk for US market vehicles and US market oils. I'm copying our Filter Hotline for further assistance." I'm hoping someone in the filter department contacts me.

While this probably isn't the case here, that filter could sit on a shelf for 3 years and then be used for 6 months. Manufacturing date has little to do with installation date in my case. I buy 6 or more filters to minimize shipping costs and then use them for 3 or 4 years.

While this probably isn't the case here, that filter could sit on a shelf for 3 years and then be used for 6 months. Manufacturing date has little to do with installation date in my case. I buy 6 or more filters to minimize shipping costs and then use them for 3 or 4 years.

Yes of course this is true but since this was done at a shop that really shouldn't be sitting on 3 years of inventory of a filter that is probably used in more cars than any other filter (almost every Toyota 4 and 6 cylinder engine) and add that the media has literally disintegrated I'm pretty sure it was installed close to the manufacturer date. That's why I said 3 years. The filter is actually close to 4 years old

the new style cartridge oil filters that are installed from the top down are quite nice, but the old style cartridge filters the installed from the bottom up were generally a mess. Hence the spin on filter was an improvement in many cases. But I believe the cartridge style was first and the spin on came later. thats why when someone says " what goes around comes around" is usually a true statement. :)
Just to complicate your categories ... If by "old style" cartridges, you mean circa 1950s, one of the three I knew about was "installed from the top down," and another was from the side horizontally. My modern (2011) cartridge is installed from the bottom horizontally.

Back