Toyota 1MZ coolant flush, need opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I performed a coolant flush today on my 95 1mz-fe camry v6...this is how I started off

1. Drain radiator through drain cock
2. Tighten drain cock and pour dis-stilled water
3. Turn engine on set heater to max and wait till fan turns on
4. Loosen drain cock and keep repeating all above steps until fluid appears clear

Now my problem is, when I turn on the vehicle, the rad fans won't come on? I even let it run for 10 minutes and occasionally holding it at 3k (to warm up the temp quicker)....I just kept on revving and revving but even with my temp gauge reading in the middle, the fans wouldn't turn on?? I know my t-stat is working because I never had a problem over-heating on the freeway...

So whats the deal here? I just called it a day and poured 50/50 super-tech coolant in there while squeezing the upper rad hoses...I poured it in until it over flowed and no more bubbles were coming out

Did I perform this flush correctly?

There is an engine drain block drain plug as well. This would save you from repeating some of the steps.

I am sure the fan would have kicked in if you left it running a few minutes longer. You did set the heat setting on hot?

I might be wrong but I would have gone with OEM Toyota coolant myself.

Is it difficult to access the engine block drain plug? I know on the VQ30 nissan engines, you have to drop the down pipe in order to gain access....and even then, I heard its still a PITA

On my 97 Avalon, the drain block plug is on the driver side of the engine, on the front of the block below the exhaust manifold.

The Haynes manual says there is one on both sides of the block but I have never been able to find the one on the back side of the engine.

I think the one on the back side of the engine is for the inline 4.

I have mine at the same location as yours, driver side below exhaust manifold. What I like about it is that you can attach a hose for the coolant to flow through on mine. Doesn't make much of a mess at all compared to doing coolant drains on other cars.

Is it really necessary to go toyota oem coolant? that thing is [censored] expensive for 50/50 diluted...I mean my camry is a 95...isn't it after a certain year, toyota calls for only oem fluid? my owners manual says nothing about "must use oem fluid only"

If you put a 50/50 mix in, the residual water will dilute it way down. You don't have 50/50 any more.
You may have an air pocket problem. They usually fix themselves with a number of driving cycles. Make sure your radiator cap is OK, and the reservoir has at least 4-5 inches of coolant in it.

My automotive teacher has a 1992 Toyota pickup with the 22RE engine. He used to change the coolant out once a year with Toyota OE coolant and distilled water. Once Dex-cool was available, he mixed it with distilled water and just changed that stuff once a year. He never had any engine problems.

I used Dex-cool in my dad's 1997 Lexus ES300, and had no cooling problems either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back