Toyo Proxes 4 or Yokohama TRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
What model have you been buying? I just looked at my friends Proxes 4's. They are made in Japan.

Quote:

How old are your friends tires? I just noticed this in the last 6 months or so.

I believe he bought them right before summer. If this is the case. I won't be buying Toyo's. I won't buy Korean made tires either. I just don't trust their manufacturing. I know Les Schwab also stocks Federal tires. They are made in Taiwan. I don't know anybody that owns a set of them though.

[Re 0.79g cornering force vs. 0.77g cornering force]
Quote:

GC, you're counting 2/100 of a G now? That's hilarious.

Both numbers are very poor. Only when you say that the tire that objective testing shows to have poorer traction has better traction than the one that testing shows has the better (but still poor) traction do I point out that you don't have a grasp of reality.

Quote:

fwiw, after 15k, a tire that wears better will likely have more tread. You run your "performance" tires for 15k and I'll do the same, then we'll see following winter in the snow which has more traction.

Your repeated assertion that treadwear is the only important specification of a tire, and trumps actual traction during the time the tire is wearing, is now well-established.

Quote:

Quote:

How old are your friends tires? I just noticed this in the last 6 months or so.

I believe he bought them right before summer. If this is the case. I won't be buying Toyo's. I won't buy Korean made tires either. I just don't trust their manufacturing. I know Les Schwab also stocks Federal tires. They are made in Taiwan. I don't know anybody that owns a set of them though.

If you're looking to avoid tires made in low-cost manufacturing countries, then good luck. Many of the major tire companies have factories (and/or joint agreements to manufacture) in Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, or China now.

BTW - some tires are made with multiple compounds. I've heard that they'll blend in softer rubber (or use other techniques) that increase wet weather grip as the tread wears down. Just because one is halfway through the useful tread depth doesn't mean being halfway through the useful life. I could be less with the differences in tread compound.

The tire manufactures have become very tricky when it comes to country of manufacture. For instance the Nokian i3 for the European market is made in Finland, but for the USA market they have "Engineered in Finland" in large font and in small letters has "Made in PRC" (China).

I am using the Proxes 4s on one of my Alfa Romeo Milanos and have been quite happy with them.

BUT - we should be very clear as to what these tires are. They are labeled as an all season tire, but just barely. They share the same carcass as the T1-R Max Performance tire, with a different tread pattern and compound. The tread pattern has good water evacuation provisions but very little siping, so snow and ice traction is pretty limited.

As a performance tire, they are very good for an all-season. In fact, you probably couldn't tell the difference between the Proxes 4 and the T1-S or T1-R until you were driving above 8/10ths.

Joe

I have Yokohama TRZ's on my wife's Taurus. We like them real well, quite, great in rain, and handle nice. I bought them mostly based on a tire test in Consumer Reports.
I already had a set of Blizzaks for winter so I can't say how the Yokos are in snow and ice. BTW, they say "Made In USA" on the sidewall.

Under no circumstances would I ever again drive a car fitted with Toyo tires. Came fitted to my new toyota Kluger/Highlander, poor grip and they wore out after 18k miles and I baby the car. I now have Hankooks (made in Korea) fitted and they are as a tire should be, good grip, still in balance, quiet and after 12k miles show hardly measurable wear and no lumps or bumps.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back