Regular vs flare crowfoot wrenches?

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking to get a set of crowfoot wrenches. The only ones I have are some very rough cheap ones I got at a flea market type place about 20 years ago.

Looking at Tekton US made sets.

They have a regular type and a flare type.

Seems to me that maybe the regular ones are better for high torque, but I can’t imagine that any is really great for that.

Seems to me that the flare type will be worlds more useful, torque limitations aside.

Which would you buy and why?

They also make sets that go to 19mm, and sets that go to 24-27mm. I do encounter those larger bolts occasionally, but again, can’t fathom where a crowfoot would support the torque needed for such large fasteners. So are they worthwhile to have that large?

I’ve been impressed with the build quality of Tekton tools.

Honestly, I would get both - I have a couple of flare nut crowfoot wrenches that I had to use for particularly troublesome hydraulic lines on Mercedes.

Those do look nice. I would also consider box end torque adapters. You can get 6 point or 12 point if you shop around. I guess it depends on what you need them for.

NAPA Evercraft crowfoot flare wrenches. They are built heavy and you can take the bull to the china closet!! Busted loose some fittings from aluminum castings that were stuck.

I originally bought Snap On flare crowfoots when I became a diesel mechanic for getting the fuel lines on and off Cat pumps in the V engines. Had only those for years and then got a set of regular crow foots and realized I had been missing out. That said, I'd get both.

Both is like a $400 proposition versus $200. I’ll buy US made since there’s an option.

Maybe the better question is, which do I buy first? :)

Is there a good use case for needing to slip a standard crowfoot on versus coming from the top like with a flare? Seems like if I can slip a regular style on flats, then I coukd do the same with a regular wrench…

Which makes me lean toward the flare style fwiw…

I originally bought Snap On flare crowfoots when I became a diesel mechanic for getting the fuel lines on and off Cat pumps in the V engines. Had only those for years and then got a set of regular crow foots and realized I had been missing out. That said, I'd get both.
Yes. My first ones were metric crowfoot style from Snap On. Snap On was the only tool vendor that had them in 1980. I needed them to get the rack and pinion assembly off the wonderful Chevy Citation. Those Snap On tools are expensive but still in my tool chest.

Yes. My first ones were metric crowfoot style from Snap On. Snap On was the only tool vendor that had them in 1980. I needed them to get the rack and pinion assembly off the wonderful Chevy Citation. Those Snap On tools are expensive but still in my tool chest.
Yes. Same here.

That rack was on the firewall? I hated those.

Both is like a $400 proposition versus $200. I’ll buy US made since there’s an option.

Maybe the better question is, which do I buy first? :)

Is there a good use case for needing to slip a standard crowfoot on versus coming from the top like with a flare? Seems like if I can slip a regular style on flats, then I coukd do the same with a regular wrench…

Which makes me lean toward the flare style fwiw…
I have both. If I can get a flare on there, then I am good.

Most of my crowfoot collection predates the flare version. So, I do have both.

Tight surroundings (not the fastener, but clearance, like on a shock bolt in a body cavity) and I’m reaching for the regular crow foot again.

Yes. Same here.

That rack was on the firewall? I hated those.
That’s correct. Chevrolet wouldn’t authorize replacement of the rack assembly under warranty. They had to be disassembled and attempt to repair first. Most would come back. Really “happy” customers… It was the poor quality control-machining of the time. Then and only then would Chevrolet allow replacement.

And we were still putting kits in for the morning sickness in the mid 80 and early 90s, made a lot of money (and few comebacks) but the J cars weren't fun. Studs always came out of the firewall...

Any way put me in the both, category, but if i could only have one the flare because they seem to get the most use...

I would say flare because of the different angles of attack you can get, the reduced risk of rounding the fastener and of course a good selection of extensions preferably locking.

Back