Tire cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long of time before cracking is "normal"? I'm not concerned about mine, as they have what I'd call minor cracking, just seems kinda soon. Date code of 0511, and these would have have sat in the shed for 5 months or so last winter. I'll have to see when I actually got them. Tread area seems free of cracks.

main.php

main.php

What brand are they?

I had a set of Yoko Avid TRZs start to crack within Yokohama's "cracking warranty" and got a new set for a prorated amount based on tread left.

Those cracks, to my untrained eyes, look like surface cracks. I would feel safe on those tires.

My 2 year old Michelin X-Radial tires have fairly large surface cracks. I brought the car to Costco for the tire shop to look at and they said it's safe. I then drove the car to Las Vegas in the sweltering heat over the summer and the tires held up well with the cracks. With the miles I drive yearly, I'll probably have the tires another 2-3 years.

Yeah, surface. Just seemed early, that's all. They are only a little over 2 years old. Probably less than 2 years sun exposure, in a northern climate at that.

Nokian enTyre. I forget exactly when I bought them.

0511 on the tires. I'd have to look at the logbook to see when I put them onto the car.

I don't think I'd have a leg to stand on: these are the tires from here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3121237#Post3121237
37k on the tires BUT with large amount of feathering on the rear pair. I'm also thinking of changing my tire buying habits on this car, and might not buy snow tires for it any more--meaning, I might not go with enTyre on the next go-around. I don't think they will work well enough in light snow.

For all that they're Nokians, you're right. EnTyres are much more on the wet side of all-season tires than, say, WRG2's.

That looks like the beginnings of dry rot to me, and yeah, two years is early for that. Keep an eye on the spaces between tread blocks for more. Did you store them bagged or bare?

Stored bare, but covered in the shed, so at ambient (meaning well below freezing), also I leave them on the rims, fully inflated.

I'm probably going to wait until I get the rear axle alignment fixed, then probably replace the set with some cheapo all seasons. I don't see Nokian prorating them, given the feathering and now obvious lack of rotations (fronts are getting pretty thin).

a good rule is deflate to 20 psi. stand them up and put them in black lawn and garden bags. I would look into a warmer climate to store them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back