Tire cracking bad enough to be of concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
You bought a cheap Chinese tire and it cracked. I'm shocked.

CAT-SHOCKED.jpeg

I only buy made in USA tires (normally by a US based company) and I don't have these problems.

Actually, it is a Thai manufactured tire made by Sumitomo, an American company.

They are not top-of-the-line, but at the time I was looking for something affordable but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. But I think I got pretty close to the bottom.

Made in Thiland tire would be worse. Sumitomo is a Japanese company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumitomo_Rubber_Industries
Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. (住友ゴム工業株式会社 Sumitomo Gomu Kōgyo Kabushiki-gaisha?) is a global tire and rubber company based in Japan. It is part of the Sumitomo Group.

I just replaced some 5 year old Canadian made goodyears with less visible cracking but was losing air through the sidewalls with 60-70% tread remaining. Oddly, There were two identical tires on the vehicle, with older date codes that were doing just fine.

I have 2 Falken Ziex ZE612+ installed on the rear of my S200 couple months ago.

8-9 years ago I had Falken FK452 on all 4-corner of the S2000. Performance/handling was very good on both dry and wet roads, no crack what-so-ever after 2-3 years. The rear was replaced after 10-12k miles and both front and rear were replaced after another 2-3 years.

Hopefully with parking in garage and/or under parking cover most of the times will not result with badly cracks like shown here.

CAT-SHOCKED.jpeg

I only buy made in USA tires (normally by a US based company) and I don't have these problems.

Actually, it is a Thai manufactured tire made by Sumitomo, an American company.

They are not top-of-the-line, but at the time I was looking for something affordable but not bottom-of-the-barrel either. But I think I got pretty close to the bottom.

Made in Thiland tire would be worse. Sumitomo is a Japanese company:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumitomo_Rubber_Industries
Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. (住友ゴム工業株式会社 Sumitomo Gomu Kōgyo Kabushiki-gaisha?) is a global tire and rubber company based in Japan. It is part of the Sumitomo Group.

I based my info on the company's website:

Originally Posted By: http://www.sumitomotire.com/History.aspx
As an American company with roots in Japan, we continually demonstrate our ability to draw from the well of American and Japanese heritage, and bring forth fresh commitments to success.

definitely take them back for adjustment. I had a set of Falkens do the same (although not that bad) somewhere in the 2-3 year range, and Discount Tire gave me full credit towards a new set of (another brand) of tires. the michelins that I have on there now are 3 years old and are still in perfect shape.

Last edited:
I'll take them in on Monday and see what America's Tire will do for me. If they will warranty them, then I think I will have them slap on a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Michelin Defender, or Michelin Premier A/S. Any preference between those three? Mostly interested in a quiet and comfortable ride with dry traction, cornering/steering, wet traction, winter traction, and tread life following in that order of importance.

I am not a fan of Pirelli's. When I was mounting tires at the tire shop, Pirelli's always generally needed A LOT of weight on the balancer to balance, and never spun true on the machine. Always a lot of noticeable hop.

I have Firestones on my car currently. Work good. I always liked how Michelins mounted up at the shop. Continentals were good too.

Keep in mind that, America's Tire may(maybe not) want to verify that your alignment is in good standing in order to warrant your tires. I don't know how good of a tire store they(America's Tire/Discount Tire) are! I hear only good things about them!
smile.gif

And don't give'em any extra information that might cause you to loose the warranty!

Last edited:

CAT-SHOCKED.jpeg

Those look better than the Michelin Pilots a dude I work with threw away a couple years ago! (They were so bad that one leaked air.) As i predicted, Michelin refused to lift a finger, instead accusing him of using "unapproved" tire shine. (He never did.)

And note: Falken isn't Chinese...it's Japanese: a subsidiary of Sumitomo!

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I had some Yoko avid touring tires that did that. I bought them in Washington state, and lived in San diego for a few years. In Cali is when they really went to heck.

Discount said they were A OK. Translation.....we don't want to comp them....... I got rid of them at about 50% tread...... Mine were worse on the actual sidewall.

I just noticed the same thing on my Yoko Avid Touring S tires yesterday. I doubt I have any warranty options, I think they are about 3 years old. They are wearing very well and have about 1/4" of tread with 55K miles on them. Between mediocre wet traction and this sidewall cracking, I've likely bought my last Yokos. Overall they are pretty nice tires, decent ride and handling, and wearing well.

I've had some Michelins that had some substantial cracking at the end of their life, but I've never had to take a tire that wasn't worn out due to cracking before. I think this will be the case with these Yokos in a year or two.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Keep in mind that, America's Tire may(maybe not) want to verify that your alignment is in good standing in order to warrant your tires. I don't know how good of a tire store they(America's Tire/Discount Tire) are! I hear only good things about them!
smile.gif

And don't give'em any extra information that might cause you to loose the warranty!

The alignment has always been good. I got an alignment done right after purchasing the tires and again a month or so ago after doing some front suspension and steering work. The front has a slight negative camber, which is the factory setup and is not adjustable without use of an aftermarket parts kit, which the alignment shop I used offered to install for $155. That negative camber is the only reason for a minor difference in inner and outer tread wear (inner and center tread is at 6/32 and outer is at 7/32). Falken allows up to 1/32 inch tread depth variance when trying to claim the treadwear warranty before denying it for irregular wear so I do not think that should be an issue. The inner tread blocks are also fine so I do not see the alignment factoring into the cracking.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I have 2 Falken Ziex ZE612+ installed on the rear of my S200 couple months ago.

8-9 years ago I had Falken FK452 on all 4-corner of the S2000. Performance/handling was very good on both dry and wet roads, no crack what-so-ever after 2-3 years. The rear was replaced after 10-12k miles and both front and rear were replaced after another 2-3 years.

Hopefully with parking in garage and/or under parking cover most of the times will not result with badly cracks like shown here.

I'm glad you have gotten good service out of your Falkens but the two sets I have had have failed me so I am giving up on them. Best of luck to you with yours!

Two years in service and less than three years from manufacture?
These tires look like they're a dozen years old.
Seriously ugly.
See what the seller will do for you on warranty.
If they won't make it right, make sure that they understand that you'll never deal with them again and you'll share that information with all of your friends, buddies, coworkers and relatives along with the reason that you'll never set foot in one of their locations again.
Bad tires pure and simple.
In choosing a new set, I'd lean toward the Pirellis out of the tires you've listed.
The Michelins are priced a little high for what you get while the Pirellis are a good value.
I've had Pirellis in the past and been happy with them, but I haven't had a set of them in recent years.
Finally, don't even allow any discussion of alignment.
The deterioration of these tires has as much to do with alignment as it does with the phase of the moon when they were mounted.

I would ask for a new set. Discount Tire Direct has them for $93 each with free shipping and a $40 discount (so $83 each). They should at least give you a 50% pro rate since they are 60,000 mile tires.

So a new set for $200 isn't bad if they will do it.
21.gif

That is caused by bad rubber compounding. But that can be a specific tire batch and a new set could be fine. (or not).

I have sent back tires many times and gotten an excellent set of the same thing back. This is with many brands Michelin, Yokohama, Goodyear. etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I would ask for a new set. Discount Tire Direct has them for $93 each with free shipping and a $40 discount (so $83 each). They should at least give you a 50% pro rate since they are 60,000 mile tires.

So a new set for $200 isn't bad if they will do it.
21.gif

That is caused by bad rubber compounding. But that can be a specific tire batch and a new set could be fine. (or not).

I have sent back tires many times and gotten an excellent set of the same thing back. This is with many brands Michelin, Yokohama, Goodyear. etc.

I bought the replacement certificates on them so they will give me a 100% refund of the purchase price plus sales tax. I paid $123 each so I could actually come out with some money in my pocket if I go with another set of the same. That being said, Falken may put out decent tires but of the eight I have had on my vehicles, all have been [censored]. So either their tires are junk or their QA is junk. Either way, I have given them more than enough of my money. I would rather pay more for something better. I am leaning toward Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring from DTD for $140 each (including certificate for replacement) less a $60 mail-in rebate for a set of four, so $125 each delivered.

Took the vehicle into America's Tire and was told the tires are fine. The employee who helped me (I believe he was the manager) referred to the cracks as hairline. I think the gaps in the cracks make them more than hairline. There is another one nearby so I am going to head over there in a few minutes to see what they say. Even if they will not warranty them, I will see what they are willing to do for me under their return policy, which includes:

Quote:
At America's Tire we stand by everything that we do. If you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time, bring it back and we will make it right. That is our promise.

And if they will not do anything for me, I will take my business elsewhere.

Second location also said they are not bad enough to warranty/certificate. They offered me a $30 per tire credit. Guess I am tire shopping!

2 thoughts:

Every tire is going to develop cracks. It is the nature of the beast. The question becomes at what point does this become an issue.

I am a bit surprised they wouldn't do a warranty, but it is possible they have experience as to what will or will not be accepted by a tire manufacturer. I think those tires are barely over the line, but I'll concede someone else might judge them as under that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back