Three entry level filters cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combo ADBV's are jacks of all trades masters of none IMO. The one time I tried one I had horrendous start up rattle within a few days... in the SUMMER for crying out loud! Off it came.

Dumb thing was leaking anyway.

Great pics!

thanks for sharing... I didn't know purolator was still using a string. maybe on just the lager filters?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Dumb question, but are all Wix filters made by Affinia in Gastonia, NC?

I'm probably not the expert on Wix filters, but I just replaced the fuel filter one of my '96 Jeep Cherokees. This filter is probably bigger than a beer can and must hold 12+ ounces. I replaced it with a Wix filter and it was made in China. (Had I known that when it was purchased, I probably would not have purchased it) I'm pretty sure some of the slower-numbered Wix filters are made in Europe and other places around the world also.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Great pics!

thanks for sharing... I didn't know purolator was still using a string. maybe on just the lager filters?
DIdn't see a string on the last 14477 PureOne I checked.

The Wix for my Nissan is made in Mexico.

I've seen Wixes made in the USA, Mexico, and S. Korea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Some are supposedly made in Poland as well. Never seen one though.

I forgot about Poland. Wix cartridge filters tend to be made in either Poland or S. Korea, as far as I've seen.

All this talk of combo valves made me think of my Motorcrafts, whether they were combination valves or just bypass at the thread end. Made me cut open a new one (FL-910s) to check. Not a combo valve but a nice looking bypass valve setup for sure.

i have said this before so forging me if you have seen it. my idea is that all the bad filters could be held in one hand.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

And I agree that the PM has no known efficiency rating, unlike the other two pictured. Of the three, the PM would last.All things considered, efficiency rating, construction and price, I'd choose the Classic here. Thanks for the pics.

Here is the information for the PM filter from the Auto Value site.It showa a WIX but the information is supposed to be for the PM.

Filter Information

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

And I agree that the PM has no known efficiency rating, unlike the other two pictured. Of the three, the PM would be last. All things considered, efficiency rating, construction and price, I'd choose the Classic here. Thanks for the pics.

Here is the information for the PM filter from the Auto Value site.It showa a WIX but the information is supposed to be for the PM.

Filter Information

Hey, thanks for that! Always interested in see the tech specs on oil filters. If the beta info is accurate/authoritative then the PM has respectable filtration, 95%@23um. As for showing a first line Wix filter pic for the Wix 'made for' PM, well I'll give that pass I suppose. And the reason I say if accurate/authoritative is because other auto stores like AAP have oil filter spec sheets too, but the information in them is suspect at times. But I digress.

While the PM price and now filtration spec look good, because of the nitrile combo valve design, I'd still keep the PM ranking last. Just don't trust the PM with what's basically a large rubber grommet to be reliable in all conditions over the length of an oci, to function as an adbv and even more importantly a bypass valve too. I prefer and would pay a little extra for a filter with traditional separate adbv and bypass valve. But, that's just me.

On a related topic, if it's not a trade secret(j/k) curious what procedure you followed to find and get to the link showing the PM spec sheet from Auto Value. Anyway, thanks again for the effort to obtain the PM information.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222

And I agree that the PM has no known efficiency rating, unlike the other two pictured. Of the three, the PM would be last. All things considered, efficiency rating, construction and price, I'd choose the Classic here. Thanks for the pics.

Filter Information

Hey, thanks for that! Always interested in see the tech specs on oil filters. If the beta info is accurate/authoritative then the PM has respectable filtration, 95%@23um. As for showing a first line Wix filter pic for the Wix 'made for' PM, well I'll give that pass I suppose. And the reason I say if accurate/authoritative is because other auto stores like AAP have oil filter spec sheets too, but the information in them is suspect at times. But I digress.

While the PM price and now filtration spec look good, because of the nitrile combo valve design, I'd still keep the PM ranking last. Just don't trust the PM with what's basically a large rubber grommet to be reliable in all conditions over the length of an oci, to function as an adbv and even more importantly a bypass valve too. I prefer and would pay a little extra for a filter with traditional separate adbv and bypass valve. But, that's just me.

On a related topic, if it's not a trade secret(j/k) curious what procedure you followed to find and get to the link showing the PM spec sheet from Auto Value. Anyway, thanks again for the effort to obtain the PM information.

I second the thanks for the good detective work and I echo Sayjac's comments on ranking the fitler last due to the combo valve. I'll let someone else do the R&D on that. ( : < )

Last edited:
sayjac On a related topic said:
Go to: Site

When you get to the site,click on the "Products" menu and a list will appear.Click on "Look Up Parts".

Enter the information by either VIN number or year etc.

After the info is entered,choose the "Ignition & Engine filters" from the first list.

Then choose "Engine filters & PCV".

Answer any questions that might be asked and you should get sent to the "Parts" list for the vehicle.

In the list,the part/filter should have an "i" for "information" for each product and category listed.Click on the "i" and it will tell you the part/manufacturer.

This usually applies to most if not all parts and categories.

^^^Thanks for that information. Clearly you went the extra mile to find the PM specs. I had gone to AV site and to Look Up Parts after your first post and saw the vin info request and that stopped me. I might try it again now though and to access the info by using year etc., see if I can get it that way.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
PartsMaster 61515. Purolator L300001. Fram 8A.
I decided to cut open some entry-level oil filters. I realize that there is no scientific info to be gathered by this and it's more of a beauty contest than anything. These filters are probably as close to an apple-to-apple contest as you are going to get as all three are the Ford 1 quart (so to speak) filters that have been used in applications for over 50 years. These were cut open with a hack saw, as I do not have the need for a filter cutter. The first photo shows actually four filters, the PartsMaster coming from a bubble pack and also how they sell it in the box. The PartsMaster filtes are sold by the AutoValue auto parts store chain, manufactured on the Wix assembly line and are used by a lot of the local independent service stations. They cost the average Joe $1.67 each if sold in a master pack of 12 or $2.05 each if sold in the box. The local stores that have a charge account that have their parts delivered can purchase these filters cheaper. The center filter is the classic Purolator L300001 (about $3.27 at WM) and the filter on the right is the Fram 8A (around $4 or higher depending on where purchased).
For a typical Ford car, and just going by this beauty contest, I'd have no problem going 5K miles with any of these, although I have no idea about the quality of the media in any of these. Since this is posting is a visual and nothing more, I reserve judgement, except for what can be decided by sight. I saw no manufacturing defects in any of them.

PartsMaster on the left came from a bubble pack. The next PartsMaster is the boxed version. Except for the selling price and the packaging, both are the same.

Standing at attention.

Ready for the guillotine.

All three are made or at least assembled in the U.S.A.

Base plates are cut off.

PartsMaster and classic Purolator have metal ends. Fram has cardboard/fiber board ends. It's interesting (to me, at least) that the Purolator still uses the string.

PartsMaster uses coiled spring. Purolator and Fram use a leaf spring. I forgot to upload the photo, but the PartsMaster and Fram have glued media seams. The Purolator has a crimped seam.
whistle.gif
I am at a total loss for words.
One of these looks like it belong in my daughter's Barbie doll car. The other 2 look pretty good. Especially the affina/wix. I wonder if puro will ever start using the string on the classic again.it looks good too. I've seen they do on the newer shell filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back