Three entry level filters cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PartsMaster 61515. Purolator L300001. Fram 8A.
I decided to cut open some entry-level oil filters. I realize that there is no scientific info to be gathered by this and it's more of a beauty contest than anything. These filters are probably as close to an apple-to-apple contest as you are going to get as all three are the Ford 1 quart (so to speak) filters that have been used in applications for over 50 years. These were cut open with a hack saw, as I do not have the need for a filter cutter. The first photo shows actually four filters, the PartsMaster coming from a bubble pack and also how they sell it in the box. The PartsMaster filtes are sold by the AutoValue auto parts store chain, manufactured on the Wix assembly line and are used by a lot of the local independent service stations. They cost the average Joe $1.67 each if sold in a master pack of 12 or $2.05 each if sold in the box. The local stores that have a charge account that have their parts delivered can purchase these filters cheaper. The center filter is the classic Purolator L300001 (about $3.27 at WM) and the filter on the right is the Fram 8A (around $4 or higher depending on where purchased).
For a typical Ford car, and just going by this beauty contest, I'd have no problem going 5K miles with any of these, although I have no idea about the quality of the media in any of these. Since this is posting is a visual and nothing more, I reserve judgement, except for what can be decided by sight. I saw no manufacturing defects in any of them.

PartsMaster on the left came from a bubble pack. The next PartsMaster is the boxed version. Except for the selling price and the packaging, both are the same.

Standing at attention.

Ready for the guillotine.

All three are made or at least assembled in the U.S.A.

Base plates are cut off.

PartsMaster and classic Purolator have metal ends. Fram has cardboard/fiber board ends. It's interesting (to me, at least) that the Purolator still uses the string.

PartsMaster uses coiled spring. Purolator and Fram use a leaf spring. I forgot to upload the photo, but the PartsMaster and Fram have glued media seams. The Purolator has a crimped seam.

Partsmaster looks AWESOME!!!!!!!! What`s that *pleat* made out of on the Fram? The pleat that`s kind`ve squared off in the front (the last set of pics). It almost looks like one of those sugar wafer cookies :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oops, Gastonia, NC. Partstmaster has to be a Wix. Looks like a Napa Pro Select.

That's what I was thinking. Looks good for a "cheap" filter no doubt, although I've recently seen some disparaging remarks regarding the media on those.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
The parts master looks like a carquest filter to me.

You're both right, as far as I know Wix makes the Carquest filters as well.

And THANK YOU Kruse for sacrificing the filters and taking the time to post pics. Nicely done.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What`s that *pleat* made out of on the Fram? The pleat that`s kind`ve squared off in the front (the last set of pics). It almost looks like one of those sugar wafer cookies :p

That "pleat" is just their fiber end cap, thinner than the cardboard in a cereal box. I really don't know why it has some discoloration to it, but if I had to guess there might have been some heat applied to it at the factory. It looks like a burnt image similar to somebody waving a torch over it. Otherwise, I dunno....

The Parts Paster has one very bad mark against it... combo ADBV/bypass valve. Very definitely cost cutting technology and many think it is a very suspect new addition to the filter world... me included. All the people who have howled at Frams "plastic" bypass should be howling even louder at a "rubber" bypass valve made of nitrile.

Of these three, I'd probably buy the Classic because it's of known quality but at a great price. Parts Master... no way. Besides the combo valve, if I don't know the efficiency of the filter, I don't buy it. Where do you go to look up Parts Master data? Don't care if it's made by Wix because it may use the most bottom end, boulder-catching-only media Wix has so it can make the desired price point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What`s that *pleat* made out of on the Fram? The pleat that`s kind`ve squared off in the front (the last set of pics). It almost looks like one of those sugar wafer cookies :p

That "pleat" is just their fiber end cap, thinner than the cardboard in a cereal box. I really don't know why it has some discoloration to it, but if I had to guess there might have been some heat applied to it at the factory. It looks like a burnt image similar to somebody waving a torch over it. Otherwise, I dunno....

I think he's talking about the vertical seam where the filter media meets itself after it makes its way around the core. Doesn't look good to me.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Oops, Gastonia, NC. Partstmaster has to be a Wix. Looks like a Napa Pro Select.

Can't tell, but does the Parts Master have the funky combo ADBV/bypass valve? No actual separate bypass valve? If so, really don't like any filter with the combo valve. I stay away from those and ecore filters too.

The Puro Classic is simply hard to beat. I'm using them in just about everything anymore... and it really helps that I can get them at Wal-Mart for $3.27 everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back