Cutting a Filter Open

For those who cut oil filters open, how are you doing it so neatly, and without a lot of metal shavings in the filter from cutting it.
I assume that you don't use a vise, and hacksaw.

Google "oil filter cutting tool". .....not being wise, there are several.

Thanks, I should have done that first.

This website has got me wondering what the inside of my F150 filter looks like after 6 months, so cutting one open.
All I could think of was my bench vise, and hacksaw, and what a mess it would be.

For those who cut oil filters open, how are you doing it so neatly, and without a lot of metal shavings in the filter from cutting it.
I assume that you don't use a vise, and hacksaw.
we have a cutter but also have a large pipe cuter and it works great on bigger filters and already have one

I have this cutter in my tool box, a leftover from my old general aviation days. This thing will cut the big, fat Champion Aerospace thick walled filters in just a couple of turns without doing damage or creating any debris. The cutting wheel isn't a sharp as it once was but hey, who is? $80 at Aircraft Spruce.
oil filter.JPG

Years ago I lucked out and scored a custom made filter cutter off eBay from a motorcycle shop. It uses a pipe cutter blade like most. Zips filters open in a few revolutions. I've had it about 15yrs.

and what a mess it would be.
I hacksawed my Ranger's fuel filter as it was 15 years old and I just had to see inside.
I figured hacksaw filings wouldn't resemble trapped fuel crud so my "results" would remain discernable.
Let's just say if Ford used the same stainless steel in its bodies as it uses in its fuel filters, our rides would last a long time.

Unlike when I first joined this forum, there's many dedicated oil filter cutter options now. Amazon and ebay have many purchase choices for a reasonable price. In my experience, unless your cutting filters open very often, spending the most money not necessary. The one posted directly above by racer from Amazon, a good example of reasonable price option.

I got a cheap one off ebay (amazon?) that works ok on thin wall, but on my Denso's I gave up as all it did was crush the can and result in many 4 letter words before finally cutting through. Have yet to figure out what to put the filter into, as putting into a vice means crank down, hope it doesn't turn, crank down more when it does... I gave up on my Denso filters, too much effort.

I got a cheap one off ebay (amazon?) that works ok on thin wall, but on my Denso's I gave up as all it did was crush the can and result in many 4 letter words before finally cutting through. Have yet to figure out what to put the filter into, as putting into a vice means crank down, hope it doesn't turn, crank down more when it does... I gave up on my Denso filters, too much effort.
Just go slowly... The blade shouldn't be forced into the can, just let it lightly touch and give the can a few rotations which will remove a small amount of material. Tighten it a tiny bit more, repeat the process and you should be able to get through it.

If this still doesn't work, try replacing the blade. It should be the same type used in most pipe cutters.

This method works fine on the Hyundai / Kia OE filters which probably have the thickest cans in the automotive industry... so it should also work fine on Denso.

Back