The Myth of the Mobil 1 v Castrol lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Of course, Group III oils are better than petroleum. You didn't mention oil drain intervals on the engine above...

Once again, more proof that you need to read more and post less.
smirk.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Of course, Group III oils are better than petroleum. You didn't mention oil drain intervals on the engine above...

smirk.gif

It did not mention oil drain intervals. However, there was a link that looked at first to be part of the signature that actually led to a page with that information. Thanks G-man for pointing this out in your usual condescending "you are a newbie Homo Erectus" manner of expression!
crazy.gif
I appreciate it!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smirk.gif

It did not mention oil drain intervals. However, there was a link that looked at first to be part of the signature that actually led to a page with that information. Thanks G-man for pointing this out in your usual condescending "you are a newbie Homo Erectus" manner of expression!
crazy.gif
I appreciate it!

Here is the first sentence of his post: "Since this is a Castrol/G-III thread, look at Mori's Audi engine after using Syntec 5w-50 at 10k intervals after 122k."

You can read, right? See that "...at 10k intervals"? What do you think that's referring to?

You're well on your way to joining TimVipond in Read Only Land. Keep it up.

The claim of "severe sludging" on Castrol only re-enforces the stereotype of the jump-to-conclusions-grade analysis perfomed by the general public and "mechanics" in general. It's a stereotype BitOGers have of "new" members and basicly you are the new poster boy for it. Come on, was Castrol used every change at a good interval or was the faulty mfg interval used? BMW and Audi both use Castrol and have sludge issues unrelated to the oil quality. Was it all documented? Was it really Castrol or did it just say "Castrol" on the filler cap? Was the PCV system checked and serviced? How come, if castrol is so bad, does it say "Use Castrol" on the filler cap and in the manual of my friend's 2007 Audi? btw- I'm waiting for my custom PAO oil.

Quote:

The claim of "severe sludging" on Castrol only re-enforces the stereotype of the jump-to-conclusions-grade analysis perfomed by the general public and "mechanics" in general. It's a stereotype BitOGers have of "new" members and basicly you are the new poster boy for it. Come on, was Castrol used every change at a good interval or was the faulty mfg interval used? BMW and Audi both use Castrol and have sludge issues unrelated to the oil quality. Was it all documented? Was it really Castrol or did it just say "Castrol" on the filler cap? Was the PCV system checked and serviced? How come, if castrol is so bad, does it say "Use Castrol" on the filler cap and in the manual of my friend's 2007 Audi? btw- I'm waiting for my custom PAO oil.

Quote:

BMW and Audi both use Castrol and have sludge issues unrelated to the oil quality.

did I read this right? did you mean something mechanically causes sludge? not the oil?
popcorn.gif

Well, I'm not talking about oil sludging sitting on a shelf in the bottle. I'm talking about overly optimistic service intervals, PCV issues, like in Saabs, short trips, etc. Incorrect application of any oil is the problem. Once it passes the test sequence, how can people claim it's faulty based on second and thrid-hand speculation?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smirk.gif

crazy.gif
I appreciate it!

Here is the first sentence of his post: "Since this is a Castrol/G-III thread, look at Mori's Audi engine after using Syntec 5w-50 at 10k intervals after 122k."

You can read, right? See that "...at 10k intervals"? What do you think that's referring to?

You're well on your way to joining TimVipond in Read Only Land. Keep it up.

Yes I can read quite well actually. I bounce in out out of here fast because I have other things to attend to more important. I didn't notice he posted twice in a row. I thought it a different person. Honest mistake.

You all don't know me very well, and I don't think sludging is ever a problem of the lubricant, even Group II. I only mentioned it in passing as something you will run into for sure if you go out there and mingle with auto mechanics who see the worst of other people's neglect. I've never had a sludgy motor and wonder how others get it so bad. The mechanics who drag me over to engines loaded with sludge do so to show "Look what a synthetic did!" Yet, the same engine driven by a friend with higher mileage is exceptionally clean. What's more is this friend is horribly neglectful of his car. What in the world are those people doing to get so much sludge?

Sludge to me is sort of like finding out your son in high school can't read. You want to ask, "You never noticed before now?" These people must never open their hoods on top of whatever they are doing wrong.

Yet, no answer to my previous question. Being an attorney I felt your answer would have been a doozy too! I leave here disappointed, but not surprised.
grin.gif

confused.gif

Well, I guess you've learned nothing and will continue to rely on grease monkeys for the most current technical research. Thank you for your contribution and open-mindedness.

Quote:

confused.gif

Well, I guess you've learned nothing and will continue to rely on grease monkeys for the most current technical research. Thank you for your contribution and open-mindedness.

What was that suppose to mean? You act as if I was bragging about what mechanics say instead of pointing out why they are so cynical. Good Lord you guys are easily irritated!

More fiber! Get more fiber!:D

When I first joined, I posted a couple of 'explain it to me posts', but learned fairly quickly that I could actually find far more information by searching for and reading a full thread on a topic. It is VERY arrogant of you, in my opinion, to sit there and repeatedly say 'I'm not doing any searching - explain it to me, NOW!' You're obviously a fairly self-centered person who thinks others should pander to his demands, and doing this to the busy admin of this board is in very poor taste. G-Man has tried to gently suggest you can have a good time finding the information yourself (trust me, there is a TON, and it is easy to find), but your ot getting the hint. When you do, you will 'fit in' here a bit more.....and that is not to say that this is a rigid board with too many rules.....

Please stay but learn to use the 'search' function, you'll be glad you did!

Addyguy

Quote:

GREMIL i dont see you becoming a full member!

You and I both!

But to be honest, I already knew the answer to the question you never answered. I just take issue with the statement that Group III is equal to Group IV and wanted to provide proof of that. I appreciate you don't agree. I'll drop it. I just didn't like being told I was wrong in the face of so much information, lot of it coming directly from your company.

I just choose to disagree. I had no idea all of you, or maybe most of you were Castrol people. If it were clearly identified I might have understood this was your post to do as you like and that I wasn't welcomed to participate. Only through private messages did I ever get this point brought across. As a new member I apologize for interfering with your thread.

On other forums I am well liked. Maybe I came across hard on this forum. But I was jumped on pretty hard too.

See you guys around, maybe! Best to all of you.
grin.gif

Your question itself was flawed, that's the problem. I explained why *I* thought it was misguided to search for "perfect" base oil status for a fluid used in vehicles that are, or soon-to-be, imperfect...when results using "less-than-perfect" base oil APPEAR (via visual inspection and UOA) to actually work ~perfectly~. There lies the contradiction.

Quote:

I had no idea all of you, or maybe most of you were Castrol people. If it were clearly identified I might have understood this was your post to do as you like and that I wasn't welcomed to participate.

Youll be sure to find that BITOGers in general are labelled lovers of one specific oil by people in arguments all the time. However, depending upon the person or discussion, the group will be labeled lovers of different oils!

Some say BITOG is nothing buta schaeffer's cult. Others say it is Amsoil. Still more say that this is a Mobil biased site. Its almost like flavor of the day, so I apologizethat you got the wrong impression. Spend enough time on here and youll find that there actually is a reasonable distribution of people that like and dislike eachoil brand, vriety, chemistry, etc. With 16k+ people all on here hungry for knowledge, its hard to deny the statistical analysis alone!

Best,

JMH

gremil
" hate to say it, but the use of Group III "synthetics" needs to be rated differently somehow."

Agreed. Everyone wants to group gIII in one bucket. They are all not produced with uniform specs thru-out. We all certainly do not think that they are all the same do we?

Or did you GIII seperately from syntheitcs in general?

Quote:

I look stupid for posting him not becoming a full member
laugh.gif
welcome to the club

It appears he hasn't been back since I made him a full member.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back