The coolant I used to use is no longer available and my stash has ran dry.

Last year I poured the last of my conventional, non dex-cool, nonorganic acid additive comparable Texaco coolant in my tractor. I'm pretty sure I can't get it any more.
So it's time to pick a new coolant.
Looking for something that is non organic hybrid acid tech, a non "global" coolant.
I need to pick a coolant for my old 1999 dodge Dakota, so it was intended to run inorganic acid tech. I dipped a coolant test strip in it before this past winter and the mixture freeze point was good but it looked like it was getting close to being time for a change.
Conditions here are very hot and rather cold. 100f in the summer is normal, with some 110f, in the winter 0f is normal most years, every 2 or 3 years we see -10f minimum cold temperature is about -16f.
So 50/50 to 60/40 with the majority favoring water is fine.
I'm looking for something that doesn't have a fanciful long change duration. Changing it every 2 or 3 years is fine with me.
I have I narrowed down to 2 must haves.
Common like I can get it locally and budget friendly.
I have an idea of what I don't want.
Evans waterless coolant, its $50 or more a gallon and can't get it locally.
Anything that says "all makes all models".
Anything that says "universal".
Anything that says dex-cool or "dex-cool compatible".
That eliminates about 80 to 90% of coolants.
Would prefer non diluted since 50% water is coolant isn't 50% cheaper, not even close the same price to a dollar or 2 cheaper per gallon..
But if there's a 50/50 diluted IAT coolant available and that's the only way I can get it, then sold.
I'm kinda thinking zerex heavy-duty extended change coolant. "Not intended for cars". Yeah that sounds about right. I'm not seeing buzz words like global or universal, it's actually telling you not to use it in most vehicles.
I don't remember the price but I know it's not $50 a gallon and I can get it locally.

I have no clue why some despise universal coolants like this unless it's because of the interval claim but I always cut it in half. It's not hard to make a good universal coolant. It's just more expensive to make it both compatible and as good as a simpler coolant.

I've only ever used universal coolants in all my vehicles like my 340k yukon that I've had since new and that old iron block is as good as ever. Never drains out any hint of rust and even during hot days stuck in long traffic the temp gauge almost never goes beyond the middle. Once did when i was in traffic over a horrible semi accident where I was idling for an hour in 102 heat ac blasting but it was under 230 which is ok.
I'm kinda thinking zerex heavy-duty extended change coolant. "Not intended for cars". Yeah that sounds about right. I'm not seeing buzz words like global or universal, it's actually telling you not to use it in most vehicles.
You can use that if you do a full drain and rinse but i wouldn't go through that effort but use whatever you want. Though it's a car engine not a semi.

If universal coolants were bad you'd hear about it. There'd be lawsuits about it causing rusting and other things.

Last edited:
Just just the Zerex G-05 in your Dakota. It is the exact same fluid as the factory Mopar coolant used starting in around 2000 and is a HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) formulation. You'll want to do a complete flush when you switch.

G-05 will likely work fine in your tractor unless it needs anti-cavitation additives which it does not have.

Last edited:
Zerex original green is listed as being an inorganic additive technology product and it came up when I did a recommendation for a 1999 Dodge Dakota w/3.9L V-6. It is listed as being for 2001 and older Chrysler products.

The OEM Dodge P/N seems to have been superseded to 680489AB if you want to try the local dealership again.

I have no clue why some despise universal coolants like this unless it's because of the interval claim but I always cut it in half. It's not hard to make a good universal coolant. It's just more expensive to make it both compatible and as good as a simpler coolant.

I've only ever used universal coolants in all my vehicles like my 340k yukon that I've had since new and that old iron block is as good as ever. Never drains out any hint of rust and even during hot days stuck in long traffic the temp gauge almost never goes beyond the middle. Once did when i was in traffic over a horrible semi accident where I was idling for an hour in 102 heat ac blasting but it was under 230 which is ok.

You can use that if you do a full drain and rinse but i wouldn't go through that effort but use whatever you want. Though it's a car engine not a semi.

If universal coolants were bad you'd hear about it. There'd be lawsuits about it causing rusting and other things.
Yeah I'm going to drain out as much as I can get, flush, fill it up with water run it for a day drain it and then refill with actual coolant.
Universal and organic acid tech is new and doesn't appear to be better.
Everyone used the same antifreeze for like 50 years, it worked great, ya change it every 2 or 3 years, no problem.

I vote for Zerez Original Green as well. You can get a case of 6 gallons through Amazon, but it ships from Zoro, maybe ordering straight from Zoro would be cheaper? I’m tired of Dexcool eating up the intake gaskets in my GM 3.4V6, maybe they won’t get mushy with this…….

Back