The Chevy Cruze comes with S speed rated tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about a stripped economy car coming with S rated tires. How may economy cars do you see zooming by at 100+ MPH? And if a tire blow because of the excessive speed, hopefully the Darwin Theory will take over and the driver will be eliminated from the gene pool before they procreate. How many other cars out there come with S rated tires? I'm fairly certain that it is not specific to GM.

As it happenes we recently purchased a Cruze and it has H rated Continental tires. As fas as disc brakes being lower maintenance that will vary by brand. The rear disc brakes on my 2005.5 Jetta were down to the rotor by 30K. The Cruze also has disc brakes depending on the trim or option.

Camry and Accord have V rated tires on some model because their top speed can go above what T rated tires can handle. Now if they put in AA traction tire in H but the car can speed into V territory, it is lawsuits waiting to happen.

Ford limit the older taurus to a speed that the tires maxed out at (T), but people are aware that the car can actually go faster.

Where are people maxing out their car's top speed in the US?!? Oh wait, on public roads when "nobody's around". Not like that's advisable here in the Northeast given how our roads are trashed...

Ludicrous comments about drum brakes! They are good for about 70k miles of completely trouble free operation in our fleet Silverados!

The maintenance consists of knocking the drum on the ground if/when we rotate tires. These are on two 05's we own with a trailer towing package that get drums on the rear.

I'll take a drum brake over a stupid solid disc any day. That's what you find on the back of many small cars. They are CHEAPER to make. That's the only reason they are there.

Back on topic, the tire will be the cheapest that meets the specs. That's all. Many times I purchase a new car or truck and immediately take off the factory tires. It is sometimes a HUGE difference.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'll take a drum brake over a stupid solid disc any day. That's what you find on the back of many small cars. They are CHEAPER to make. That's the only reason they are there.

Many cars with rear discs have integral drum parking brakes as well. That can't be cheaper than a full-on drum setup. I much prefer the serviceability of a rear disc than a rear drum. I've replaced enough rear brake shoes to prefer, by far, replacing rear brake pads.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Camry and Accord have V rated tires on some model because their top speed can go above what T rated tires can handle.

For the Camry anyway, ALL models have V-rated tires, from the most plebian base model 4-banger with 16" steelies to a loaded V-6 SE model with 17" alloys. I don't know why a decent H-rated tire wasn't good enough. That's certainly what I plan to refit the car with when it comes time for new tires.

I actually appreciate GM putting S- and T-rated tires on cars. So many auto makers are installing V-rated tires on the most conservative of sedans, and that only limits consumers' choices in the replacement market, as most tire stores will only mount tires of a like speed rating (or higher). With an S-rated tire as the OEM fitment, the consumer is afforded the widest possible selection when it comes time to buy new shoes.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Camry and Accord have V rated tires on some model because their top speed can go above what T rated tires can handle.

For the Camry anyway, ALL models have V-rated tires, from the most plebian base model 4-banger with 16" steelies to a loaded V-6 SE model with 17" alloys. I don't know why a decent H-rated tire wasn't good enough. That's certainly what I plan to refit the car with when it comes time for new tires.

I actually appreciate GM putting S- and T-rated tires on cars. So many auto makers are installing V-rated tires on the most conservative of sedans, and that only limits consumers' choices in the replacement market, as most tire stores will only mount tires of a like speed rating (or higher). With an S-rated tire as the OEM fitment, the consumer is afforded the widest possible selection when it comes time to buy new shoes.

True...which means a price choice, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back