The Brake Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My preference is OEM supplier(Wagner, Akebono, Pagid/Textar) or a good aftermarket brand. I feel iffy with AutoZone brake parts, since the Duralast line is made in India(but I did install Chinese Bendix pads)...

I wouldn't try and convince him either way - his kid, his vehicle, his choice of pads! Does it really matter, as long as he's putting some sort of new ones in?

Originally Posted By: hpb
I wouldn't try and convince him either way - his kid, his vehicle, his choice of pads! Does it really matter, as long as he's putting some sort of new ones in?

I agree with you, somewhat. With my many years of experience working with brakes and brake jobs, compared to what his father has ONLY read about "HOW TO" do brake jobs, I just want to help my nephew in any way I can.

Practically my whole fleet has been converted to ceramics. Very pleased overall as pads last 3-4X longer (still haven't worn any out in the past 10 years I've been doing such, while I'd only get 30-40k on the pads used prior!).

As with extended motor oil drains, long-life brake pads aren't a substitute for proper inspection intervals.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I agree with you, somewhat. With my many years of experience working with brakes and brake jobs, compared to what his father has ONLY read about "HOW TO" do brake jobs, I just want to help my nephew in any way I can.

Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm an ex-mechanic, and often cringe when I see or hear what friends, relatives or colleagues are doing with their cars. I used to get involved and offer advice, but soon discovered it's a fine line between "helping" and "being a know-it-all." So now, unless it's something that will endanger people, I just keep out of it. And in this case, as long as he uses decent, name brand pads, it won't really matter what material they're made from. Since the dad sounds limited in his car knowledge, maybe you could offer to help install the pads, at least that way you'll know it was done properly. Just my 2 cents worth
smile.gif

My favorite combnation:
1. Brembo slotted rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads
Pro: Rotors are simply amazing. Very high carbon content
Pads are biting like crazy, keep biting all the time, no fade whatsoever, even pushing hard coming DOWN from Pikes Peak.
Con: Rotors: NONE
Pads: Huge dust, squeak at very low speeds during light braking.
2. More civilized option:
- EBC Ultimax rotors and Red Stuff pads
pro: Non slotted high carbon rotors will be more gentle on pad, but still high performance rotor.
Pad: No dust since it is ceramic/carbon compound
Con:
Ultimax rotors have less carbon then Brembo slotted, but not important for F-150 application
Pads: They are street performance, so not best option if you track your Pick-up, which you will not!

Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm an ex-mechanic, and often cringe when I see or hear what friends, relatives or colleagues are doing with their cars. I used to get involved and offer advice, but soon discovered it's a fine line between "helping" and "being a know-it-all." So now, unless it's something that will endanger people, I just keep out of it. And in this case, as long as he uses decent, name brand pads, it won't really matter what material they're made from. Since the dad sounds limited in his car knowledge, maybe you could offer to help install the pads, at least that way you'll know it was done properly. Just my 2 cents worth
smile.gif

Thats the way it is! Family in many cases is worse than any customer, customers can only haunt you during the day.
Family on the other hand... LOL

^^^haha, times a dozen! I had to read the riot act to my extended family years ago. I can't fix everyone's car!

NO ONE ANYWHERE will treat you like a family member...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back