Needing rotor brand recommendations

Hey all. I have almost 5,000 miles on my current brakes and they’re not performing well on my vehicle. I have a 2002 F150 2WD with Motorcraft Super Duty brake pads (blue) and Raybestos R-Line rotors. Even though I followed the bedding procedure, after these last 5,000 miles my brakes still take a while to stop the vehicle and I have to press down real hard to get it to come to a stop. I attribute it to the fact that the pads have a ceramic mix in them.. I also have stainless braided brake lines and the brake fluid was flushed at the same time.. I have already bought new pads (Wagner TQ’s semi-metallic) and want to buy rotors that will work well with these pads. Please help me with recommendations. Thanks!

It could be the pads and not the rotors. Years ago I installed new brake pads and had a similar issue. It was the pads they didn't like any heat in them. I went ahead and purchased different pads and problem solved.

If the rotors only have 5000 miles on them, they are likely ok to reuse. The pads are the source of the performance issue.

The new semi-metallic pads should work well for you. If not, I would recommend the Centric Fleet Performance pads.

I've never had issue with the inexpensive Raybestos rotors. If you insist on replacing them, I would probably just buy the same parts. Raybestos and Bendix offer truck & severe duty rotors as well, so those may work if you want something different.

If the rotors only have 5000 miles on them, they are likely ok to reuse. The pads are the source of the performance issue.

The new semi-metallic pads should work well for you. If not, I would recommend the Centric Fleet Performance pads.

I've never had issue with the inexpensive Raybestos rotors. If you insist on replacing them, I would probably just buy the same parts.
Here are my rotors. I feel ever so slight ridges on them but BARELY when I run my nail across them. Can I scuff them up with 120 grit with a sanding block and call them good?

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpeg
    IMG_4541.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4542.jpeg
    IMG_4542.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 46
Rotors are all pretty much the same except for cosmetic coatings, if applicable. Some alloy of steel. The more expensive ones may have ingredients for longer life or greater friction, but still basically the same.

It could be the pads and not the rotors. Years ago I installed new brake pads and had a similar issue. It was the pads they didn't like any heat in them. I went ahead and purchased different pads and problem solved.
I’m hoping that’s the case with me

Here are my rotors. I feel ever so slight ridges on them but BARELY when I run my nail across them. Can I scuff them up with 120 grit with a sanding block and call them good?
If it were me, I probably wouldn't even go that far. Just replace pads and call it a day.

Rotors are all pretty much the same except for cosmetic coatings, if applicable. Some alloy of steel. The more expensive ones may have ingredients for longer life or greater friction, but still basically the same.
I’ve always heard that they all come from neighboring factories in China

It's the pads, not the rotors. Get EBC Ultimax2/Blackstuff pads. They are awesome :)

You should be able to reuse the rotors with no problem. However, if you still wish to replace them, get Powerstop Geomet coated rotors or Centric Premium.

You said the lines and fluid were replaced at the same time, so bleed your brakes again before you spend any money on new parts.
Yeah, I can't imagine the friction coefficient is so different on the new pads compared your old ones?
The only brakes pads I've had that didn't bite pretty much the same as the old ones instantly, were "racing" pads that did take a dedicated bedding session to get working, well atleast when they were warm, and then they bit much better!
Do you have your old pads still? maybe throw them on one side and see if they make any difference? I suspect you've got air in the system somewhere or your booster is maybe unhappy?

Back