The 7,500 mile Oil Myth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru of America has purportedly scaled back their normal service OCI to 6k miles. No OLM that I'm aware of.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2015.html#maintenance

Probably so they can keep an eye on oil consumption that was such a big problem in the FB engines due to bad oil control rings.

IIRC, Subaru Canada automatically puts all Subaru's in the severe service category.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Of course a UOA is the best way to see what's going on with your oil if you don't have an OLM . If using a top tier SN oil and If I'm not packing on the miles - I am inclined now to pay more attention to the 6 month time limit on the oil versus the 3,750 mileage .

Last edited:
According to my owner's manual for my Hyundai Genesis, it's almost impossible to not fall under the severe category.

Calls for 3,750 mile oil and filter changes as well. (7,500 miles for "normal")

The oil requirements for our Genesis does not mandate a synthetic, so I presume this is one of the reasons for a 3,750 OCI; a "worst" case scenario.

Interestingly enough, our VW Jetta TDI, which calls for a VW 507 spec oil, calls for 10k OCIs. I understand that VW 507 is a very high quality, low-SAPS, synthetic.

See , another Hyundai / Kia owner who reads the 3,750 mile OCI and wonders the same thing ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
See , another Hyundai / Kia owner who reads the 3,750 mile OCI and wonders the same thing ...

I own two Hyundai Sonatas and will be doing 20 000 mile OCI!!!
Both cars use Amsoil, I also took lots of pictures of the valve train after removing the valve cover.
Most of my driving is highway, 80%.

With CHATERHAM blend done several 15 000 mile oci and UOA showed no problems.

Last edited:
Have a 2006 Kia Spectra, out of warranty now and run MS5k for..5k. 3-4 oil changes per year, $40.00 per and tire rotation included in that price.

I just purchased a 2013 Toyota Venza. Traded a 2004 Camry that I did my own OCI at 5,000 with Mobil 1 or PP. Had 108k on it and the it looked spotless through the filler hole. We both live less than a mile from our jobs so I always thought that was hard on the engine. 5 days a week of that. And on the weekend, even the trip to Walmart is only 4 miles max. We do about a trip a month out of town. Any where from 100 to 600 miles, depending on which in laws we visit and then maybe a summer vacation. So, annually only about 10-12k on the car and the bulk of those miles getting on in trips. Is that considered "severe"? So, I am a bit nervous on this new Toyota to run it to 10k like they say, but seems like the consensus on here is that it will be ok most likely and you all know much more than I do
smile.gif
Not like it sets me back that much to do a 5k OCI on this car. Just figure the winters are probably hard on the oil.

On a side note, the OLM on the Honda trips at 15% it that averages about 4100-4500 miles.

Thanks!

That's the point. UOAs don't lie. I have never seen one where a quality "synthetic" oil was used up by 7,000 miles. Just never seen it. If it's not used up, it's good.

Why would you run synthetic at 5000 while the cheaper conventional can do the same?
27.gif

Besides vehicles that require synthetic of course..

Originally Posted By: Philth
Aren't synthetics better at handling higher heat, and flowing at colder temps?

Yes. Extreme heat and extreme cold are both worth mentioning, but its safe to say a vast majority of synthetic users don't drive in these conditions.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Yes. Extreme heat and extreme cold are both worth mentioning, but its safe to say a vast majority of synthetic users don't drive in these conditions.

Desert locations (i.e., Phoenix/Las Vegas, etc.)?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Desert locations (i.e., Phoenix/Las Vegas, etc.)?

I believe the posters was commenting on some real extreme heat. Not the 115F we see here.

Alright so bottom line, a quality conventional is more than adequate for 3,750 OCIs in temps up to, what, 130*?

Huh?

What? 130F ambient? Come on.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Alright so bottom line, a quality conventional is more than adequate for 3,750 OCIs in temps up to, what, 130*?

Huh?

What? 130F ambient? Come on.

So what temp are you talking here?

I do 10K OCIs regardless of driving conditions. It's easy to get OCD here about stuff like "severe conditions". The condition of my engines is one thing I never worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back