Test drove a Mitsubishi Mirage

$20K is entering te price of some next segment up cars even though the upper cars may have less stuff, you’ll be getting better bones and better fuel economy.

At $20K I'd look at a used and very low mileage 2012-2019 Prius C. I believe 2015 was a facelift year. Since you're considering a CVT anyways, might as well get something that's just as reliable, but has more space, more power, and more efficiency. A friend of mine had one and hit 77MPG in that thing. The bulletproof 1.5L and electric torque is a great combo. The hybrid system is proven and extremely long lasting, compared to everyone else. And you will likely end up saving money not just in MPG, but also in initial purchase price, and long term maintenance/repairs.
Screenshot (18).jpg

As everyone else exited the segment (Spark/Sonic, Fiesta, Fit, Yaris, etc), Mitsubishi raised the prices on the Mirage.
That probably has a lot to do with it. Those other cars were what was keeping the lid on the pan, so to speak.

I'd consider a Mirage if I thought it could carry my music gear. I eventually bought a Fit because a) it's a little bigger so the gear fits and b) CKN's frequent recommendations.

I’d take a $17k-$18k Kia Rio or $20k Kia Forte over one of these any day.

Looks like you can get a new Corolla for $22k as well which would 100% be the winner in my book.
Yeah I think the Soul still starts under $20k as well and those are decent little cars.

Example

Last edited:
Use cars.com and other similar sites and have the distance to what you're willing to travel to check prices on that and the versa.

My wife has a 2018 SE and loves it. It gets 48 mpg (Hwy). Having said that, as others have suggested, explore your price range options.

Didn’t these things go for a little over $10k?
$20k is a lot for such a penalty box IMO.

Yea our company got them for $13k a couple years ago. It seems like they're a bit more popular now, I see a few a day now compared to none a few years ago.

I've always had a soft spot for minimalist cars, but largely for their minimal price along with the good fuel economy they typically offered.
20K seems a little rich for this little thing, although it would be pretty attractive at 15K.
There are a number of options used for less coin as well as new for maybe 10% more.

Back