Target Canada vs Walmart Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope no one minds this being in the PCMO forum. After all, it's not about rebates, sales, and promotions; in fact, it's about the opposite - no rebates, gouging, and promotions that are maladjusted enough to be almost fraudulent.

I finally got to check out the recently opened Target store. I haven't seen any other threads talking about their oil. I had high hopes at the outset since they promised to have American prices. Then they backed up on that and promised to be competitive. I began to lose faith.

Well, they're not going to be putting any fear into Canadian Tire, let alone Walmart up here. To be blunt, the Target store had less variety and fewer bottles of oil than I have in my own stash, and I have far from a large stash. All that was available was Mobil Super 1000 (conventional), Mobil Super 2000 (HM), and vanilla M1. The grades were essentially 5w-20 and 5w-30. One would be hard pressed to do an oil change without mixing grades or mixing product lines. All oil was in 1 L bottles, and we know what that does for pricing. There are no other brands. There are no filters. The pricing was at least 15% higher than WM on conventional, less so on synthetic. In all, there were two shelves of oil less than four feet wide. And the bottles were no more than three deep, so you can picture how slim the pickings are.

Walmart Canada has completely jumped the shark with oil sales. Yesterday's ad stated VWB for $12.88 for 4.73 L jugs. That's decent, but not their best price ever. There was one jug of 5w-20 left in the entire store today. Their taking lessons from Canadian Tire's fantastic policy of empty shelf sales. What is this, Boxing Day? Did the store order four jugs of each grade?

On a brighter note, there was an unadvertised special of Mobil 1 4 L (not the usual 4.4 L size) jugs at $24.88. That's fairly decent by Walmart or Canadian Tire standards, and the average Canadian would think it's a great price, when the normal jug is in the $50 range.

Keep in mind, though, that the Imperial Oil distributor sells Mobil Delvac 1 in the exact same size for the same price every day of the week, without a special. I suppose it's pretty easy to have a nearly 50% off sale when your normal price includes a markup well in excess of 100%.

Is there any wonder why PU disappeared from Walmart a few weeks after its introduction, and Canadian Tire won't stock it at all? Is anyone surprised that WM tends to not carry M1 EP, or that they're trying to clear Castrol Edge with Titanium off the shelves (and yes, it's Castrol Edge with Titanium, since with a clearance price of $13.99 per litre, we still have SM/GF-4 on the shelves).

And that's why we can't have nice things in Canada.

The local Target stores in So Cal used to have decent stock of auto parts and oil, but since about 8-10 years ago they reduced auto parts inventory by at least 60-70%.

Whenever I go to Target for something I don't bother to stop by the auto parts section anymore, they have almost nothing to buy.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Well, you do have Celine Dion, so there's that...

The Target stores I've been in here have a very limited automotive section, and the oil selection is comparable to most convenience stores. I like Target, but I wouldn't go there to buy oil. The selection is so small I kinda wonder why they bother at all?

Isn't she in Vegas? I was thankful for that.
wink.gif

You two guys are both right. Their automotive section is so small, I don't know why they bother. Two chamois on the shelf? And I don't mean two brands, I mean two period.

It's a nice store and all, but its automotive section is almost as bad as that of the Zellers it replaced.

Ya I was dissapointed with that too Garak, was looking forward to having another place to browse. The wife likes the clothing department much better than Zellers or Walmart.

P.S. I agree, leave Celine in Vegas, we'll keep Shania Twain!

Yes, there was some Mobil ATF there, but I didn't pay much attention to it. If I can't get enough oil for an oil change (ignoring the unimpressive price) at the place, it's extremely unlikely that I'm going to be shopping for ATF there.

Aside from that, it's not a bad store at all. It's an advancement over Zellers for sure, and it's not as annoying as Walmart.

Target USA has always had very minor auto sections...poor oil choices...one or two waxes, etc....

But it fits into Target's model, they're relentless in updating inventory, focusing only on things that sell well...looking at the Target demographic - oil really isn't in that category. At our Target here in VB, the only oils are Mobil Super and Car & Driver...so, I assume some form of product tie-in....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The local Target stores in So Cal used to have decent stock of auto parts and oil, but since about 8-10 years ago they reduced auto parts inventory by at least 60-70%.

Whenever I go to Target for something I don't bother to stop by the auto parts section anymore, they have almost nothing to buy.

Target at one time had a very good auto section, with a large variety of oil, oil filters and various small parts like plugs.
I was even able to purchase a window winder handle for our old Vanagon there, and I bought lots of clearance Maxlife 20W-50 which served in the lawnmowers for years.
I also picked up some Texaco full syn on clearance, which I used for a few OCIs in our old Aerostar.
Target's auto section is now very limited, with little you'd want to buy at prices you wouldn't pay.
Target may have oil but they don't stock oil filters.
What's the point of that?

Target does have a nice selection of suspenders, and better quality ones than Walmart, which is good for all of us as the world really doesn't need any more plumber's cracks.

Target has traditionally not competed with Walmart in the oil department. I, too, saw the selection at Target stores here and in Coquitlam, BC -- both with limited choice. In US stores, there is slightly more selection, but no comparison to the selection you get at Walmart.

Target Canada is a joke.
I went in once and have no intention of ever going back. I could not figure out at all how it was different from Zeller's, which was trash as well.

It can really be frustrating just how much more $ we have to spend up here to get the same things.. That is why I cross the border all the time.

Yeah, the Target here doesn't have much in the automotive section. The fishing section is even worse, however. Just a few kid's rods.

But if you want the elusive Mobil Special, it's the only game in town!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Target Canada is a joke.

Took the words right from the tip of my fingers.

I remember during the Toronto area rollout, when they were getting ridiculous advertising from every News agency that were pushing Target's entry into Canada as a "news story", that a rep for Target Canada said that they were not going to offer lower prices, just simply "competitive". Target isn't in Canada for our benfit, they're here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of the inflated Canadian retail market, where our prices are all considerably higher than US equivalents FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON. Our dollars' have been flirting with parity for the past few years, but Cdn retailers REFUSE to adjust prices accordingly. That stupid Target dog is just salivating at the mouth thinking about it's master's profit margins.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Well, you do have Celine Dion, so there's that...

The Target stores I've been in here have a very limited automotive section, and the oil selection is comparable to most convenience stores. I like Target, but I wouldn't go there to buy oil. The selection is so small I kinda wonder why they bother at all?

You guys can keep her.
I've yet to go to the target stores here. Not interested. I've got enough oil to make the oil sands jealous and I don't need to spend anymore money.

Ha! It seems like half of Quebec is at our Target every weekend. They park their RV's at Walmart and drive over to Target. I think they spend everything they save shopping here just to travel here.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've got enough oil to make the oil sands jealous and I don't need to spend anymore money.

You and I definitely put Target's stock to shame. I was hopeful after all the hype when they announced their entry into Canada.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I've got enough oil to make the oil sands jealous and I don't need to spend anymore money.

You and I definitely put Target's stock to shame. I was hopeful after all the hype when they announced their entry into Canada.

Between you and I Canadian tire is jealous. Hehehe.

Originally Posted By: salv
Ha! It seems like half of Quebec is at our Target every weekend. They park their RV's at Walmart and drive over to Target. I think they spend everything they save shopping here just to travel here.

I know the sales taxes up in Quebec are VERY high and there is also a national VAT as well, correct?

I'm pretty sure that Target is owned by a French parent company.

Yeah when those folks travel back over the border I'm pretty sure they have a limit on what they can take back duty free. After that you pay pretty dearly in import duties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back