Mobil 1 vs. Mobil Full Synthetic

20230921_083450~2.jpg

Walmart is advertising Mobil Full Synthetic 0W-20 and 5W-20 for C$26.97 (plus eco fee plus 12% sales tax).

That's cheaper than SuperTech (not shown in the flyer, but seen recently for C$28.88 plus eco fee plus sales tax).

Is Walmart moving away from ST to a lower grade of Mobil synthetic as its house oil?

What's the difference between Mobil Full Synthetic and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 is the flagship product, advertised as "advanced full synthetic." Mobil Full Synthetic is advertised as a step above syn blends -- it seems similar to Mobil Super Synthetic, but this is where the product lines become blurred and the public gets confused, hence your question. The price difference is so small between Mobil 1 and Mobil FS/Super Syn that I just spend a couple extra dollars and get the advanced product. Marketing works. See this page: Mobil Synthetic Oils

View attachment 179716
Walmart is advertising Mobil Full Synthetic 0W-20 and 5W-20 for C$26.97 (plus eco fee plus 12% sales tax).

That's cheaper than SuperTech (not shown in the flyer, but seen recently for C$28.88 plus eco fee plus sales tax).

Is Walmart moving away from ST to a lower grade of Mobil synthetic as its house oil?

What's the difference between Mobil Full Synthetic and Mobil 1?
Not to say its a bad deal but I got it at Bi-Mart in Pendleton, OR. for $19.95.

Mobil 1 is the flagship product, advertised as "advanced full synthetic." Mobil Full Synthetic is advertised as a step above syn blends -- it seems similar to Mobil Super Synthetic, but this is where the product lines become blurred and the public gets confused, hence your question. The price difference is so small between Mobil 1 and Mobil FS/Super Syn that I just spend a couple extra dollars and get the advanced product. Marketing works. See this page: Mobil Synthetic Oils
The price difference here is significant - here's Mobil 1 AFE at Walmart at C$57.97:
Screenshot_20230921-133926~2.png

Mobil 1 used to go on sale regularly - I don't remember ever paying the regular price. When sales became much rarer, I switched over to SuperTech, which was around C$19. Now ST is pushing C$29, and here's Mobil full synthetic (but not Mobil 1) actually slightly cheaper.

I should have enough ST on hand to get through to next Spring - at that point I can reevaluate.

Or another option is when Canadian Tire puts Pennzoil on sale buy it and submit the rebate. It works out roughly the same price and it’s a better oil than Mobil synthetic.

Or another option is when Canadian Tire puts Pennzoil on sale buy it and submit the rebate. It works out roughly the same price and it’s a better oil than Mobil synthetic.
I standardized on Mobil 1 20+ years ago because it was regularly on sale at CT/PartSource. They would offer the 4.4 l jug with the 1 l bottle shrink-wrapped to it, often for under $30.

I have heard good things about PP - will watch for it.

I have buy few old full synthetic Mobil oil I will not buy again I buy because it was in clearance $6 full synthetic oil at aap. Will spend more get Mobil 1.

Not to say its a bad deal but I got it at Bi-Mart in Pendleton, OR. for $19.95.
its worth pointing out the thread starter is in Canada.. so you can add about 30 to 50% on the American price..

or are you suggesting the man drives to the USA for some motor oil? :)

Can tire has Pennzoil on sale. Today is the last day.
My local CT has PP on sale for between $35.99 and UP for $38.99 (both plus $0.90 eco fee). That sale price is slightly more than WM's new rollback price, but I'm not sure the products are identical.

Now I'm confused. This is not unusual ... 😉

I noticed it was still on sale today so i picked up a jug of 5w30 for my old ranger's next oil change.
When i read the label I saw it has a lot of the most recent spec approvals/meets requirements. With my truck's engine being non-vvt and relatively basic by modern standards, this stuff should be more than adequate.

$26.99 (canadian) is a good price for a jug of full-synthetic. Most brand name full synthetics around here are usually $40-$50+ or $35-$40 if its on sale.
Maybe if you had something high-strung with a turbo, or you plan on going 20,000 km on an oil change then you might want something better, but I'm good with spending a little less when even this is more than good enough for my truck anyway.

This Thread saved me from asking the same question on a new Thread: Mobil 1 Advanced Synthetic, or Mobil Synthetic, to be or not to be. I like the advice of DGXR, which is basically, you won't go wrong with the Mobil 1. So why feck around. (I added that last part.) ~Thanks!

Back