Tall or short Toyota filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of ordering oil filters for the Toyotas that both spec the smaller filter (in this case the MANN W68/3). I know its possible to run the longer filter (specced for the 2zz-ge) and for some reason its also cheaper.
The Filtron versions have a different type of by-pass valve where the longer one has it combined with the ADBV.

Is the arrangement simililar in the Toyota original filters? Why are there 2 filters available when the longer one fits nicely to all the smaller engines as well? Better flow, more or less media?

Both filters work fine with the 1ZZFE and if the shorter one is not available then you can use the longer one.

No benefit using the longer one and the engine is protected with either the same. If your engine is loading up the small one with a normal OCI then you have more issues to worry about than small vs larger filter.

I run both on my 1ZZFE with 234,000 miles and open each and every one. Both sizes are clean as they can be after a 7,8,10k OCI.

Take care, Bill

I'd imagine the extra room in the 2zz filter allows some relief from a higher revving, higher pressure motor. As to why there are two sizes instead of making one filter for both zz motors, maybe Toyota is that exacting.

Ive had very good luck with AC/Delco on my yaris - better than the toyota thai denso. These can be sensitive to vvt operation esp if your VVT feedline screen is getting blocked. Maybe the 2000 doesnt have vvt .

The Corolla was available with 1.4 (4ZZ-FE) and 1.6 (3ZZ-FE) liter engines which are very much like the 1.8 1ZZ-FE and incorporates VVT-i on the intake cam. It's running fine with the smaller Mann-filter and I really like the quality of them.
Also the Mann won the filter test I posted some months ago so it's a solid performer.

So it really comes down to choosing between the following:

Mann W68/3 (small filter) 7.40€ + shipping
Mann W610/9 (long filter) 7.00€ +shipping

Any thoughts?

Not the same application as yours but I always use larger or longer filters if I can find them. If the media is the same, the increased filter area of a larger filter will cause the bypass to remain closed more often due to reduced pressure differential across the media.

I always use the later factory spec'ed Puro 14477s on 5s Camry engines. It's taller than the 14476 and the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back