Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Some people spend their entire lives trying to change a number on a piece of paper. My grandfather did that, worked until he dropped, wouldn't spend money on anything, never took a vacation or bought a decent car. But, my mother and aunt made up for it, paid him back by burning through the entire estate in 5 years with nothing to show for it. On the 1st day they spent over $30k in 1982 on fur coats which I have now and nobody wants. I hind sight, at least my mother and aunt, both long gone 10-15 years ago, had 5 more years of a good life than my grandfather and suffering grandmother who he wouldn't spend a nickel on.

I just quite frankly don't understand the mentality of "work until you drop"......

just quite frankly don't understand the mentality of "work until you drop"......

I do....working is all some people have ever done all they know how to do. No hobbies, no interest in traveling, no nothing but work. My father still works a full time job 45 hours a week driving a bus. He is 84 years old. Income with different pensions, social security etc... is about $100,000 a year. He drives a 15 year old F-150.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
just quite frankly don't understand the mentality of "work until you drop"......

I do....working is all some people have ever done all they know how to do. No hobbies, no interest in traveling, no nothing but work. My father still works a full time job 45 hours a week driving a bus. He is 84 years old. Income with different pensions, social security etc... is about $100,000 a year. He drives a 15 year old F-150.

I have heard stories like this before. At the very minimum I would be driving a new pickup.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I have heard stories like this before. At the very minimum I would be driving a new pickup.

My father's parents were much this way. They lived on a farm, no mortgage, decent pensions, but drove old beaters and followed a very specific routine. They had multiple cottages but they were never very nice to visit because of how cheap they were. Their retirement was, well, depressing quite frankly. My grandmother had a great deal of money socked away that only a very small portion of which was touched when she was put into a long-term care facility when she became severely demented. It was not long after that she passed away. My grandfather pre-deceased her by about 5 years.

My mom's parents were the polar opposite. They retired to their cottage/summer home and he was never afraid to spend. He owned a ton of antique boats, tractors, snowmobiles...etc and was always tinkering and buying something new. My grandmother fed us like it was Thanksgiving every day. They were genuinely happy and always doing something, be it going to an antique boat show, taking grand kids on adventures or just a cruise on the lake.

Both my parents have eagerly embraced the 2nd model as their own retirement has come upon them and all of us are thankful to see them enjoying themselves and what they've earned.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Anyone at Balsam Lake, Coboconk, Ontario of your acquaintance?

I know a few people on Balsam, can't recall who off hand, but yes. We are on Muskoka, used to be on Rosseau.

I haven't been there since I was 12 in 67 when we went to Expo. The cottage on about an acre, now owned by my mother's 1st cousin, on the north-east shore in a bay. There is an island about half a mile south of the cottage. My uncle by marriage, RCAF officer pilot and civic engineer for Ajax, took us on a tour in his jet boat, through some locks to a town and back which took several hours. The deal now with the 3rd and 4th generation is; we can keep the cottage if you guys pay the taxes, which are quite steep.

Yes, taxes in cottage country in general have jumped the shark. My grandfather's were around 10K a year when he passed and that was almost two decades ago.

My dilemma is a vacant lot in a national park (RMNP) that costs me $150 a month. If I spend $200k plus for a starter castle, the lease rate will double and I will have to rent it out to recoup the investment. For that money, I could buy a quarter section of land with a farm house on it a mile from the park that I would actually own. The bare lot drives people crazy and I get at least 6 calls a year wondering if I want to sell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CKN

My father's parents were much this way. They lived on a farm, no mortgage, decent pensions, but drove old beaters and followed a very specific routine. They had multiple cottages but they were never very nice to visit because of how cheap they were. Their retirement was, well, depressing quite frankly. My grandmother had a great deal of money socked away that only a very small portion of which was touched when she was put into a long-term care facility when she became severely demented. It was not long after that she passed away. My grandfather pre-deceased her by about 5 years.

My mom's parents were the polar opposite. They retired to their cottage/summer home and he was never afraid to spend. He owned a ton of antique boats, tractors, snowmobiles...etc and was always tinkering and buying something new. My grandmother fed us like it was Thanksgiving every day. They were genuinely happy and always doing something, be it going to an antique boat show, taking grand kids on adventures or just a cruise on the lake.

Both my parents have eagerly embraced the 2nd model as their own retirement has come upon them and all of us are thankful to see them enjoying themselves and what they've earned.

My grandmother was this way too.

I think some people who lived through the Great Depression never learned to enjoy money or life again.

It's the only explanation I can think of for working one's self to death.

My father had some money, but choose to give a lot of it to two of my brothers. One was lazy and couldn't afford basic necessities, the other worked at a solid blue collar job, but always wanted to live above his means.

My father lived like a pauper so he could support those two. That was his choice, neither I or another brother who managed to get by without any help could not talk him out of it. That's life I suppose.

500k a year surgeon has no time actively managing a rental property. It is a lot of work and only for those with lots of free time and are very handy and not afraid of getting dirty, like my retired dad.

If he wants an LC, that's not inappropriate, he earned it and can afford it. Many don't want Luxo Euro badge because of the perceived reputation of some of their owners (not all, just some). Plus LC is probably the most reliable SUV in its class, and highest resale value.

500k a year surgeons drive all kinds of cars: Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Ford, GM, Cadillac, Tesla, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, Acura, Infiniti, etc. They are people just like the rest of us.

Buy a new Atlas AND a GTI
smile.gif

Just an update: (I got tired of the 1997 4Runner) So a little over a year later and I recently placed an order for a 2019 Lexus LX570. After sales service was why I went with Lexus LX570 and not a Toyota Land Cruiser. Only other SUV I seriously cross-shopped was the MB G-Wagon. Options I got were: Mark Levinson audio upgrade, DVD entertainment, HUD, cool box, luxury package, 21" wheels. When it gets delivered I'll post some pics for you folks.

Funny, your original post specifically states you would not consider the Lexus. What made you change your mind?

Congrats, by the way.

Originally Posted by GenSan
Just an update: (I got tired of the 1997 4Runner) So a little over a year later and I recently placed an order for a 2019 Lexus LX570. After sales service was why I went with Lexus LX570 and not a Toyota Land Cruiser. Only other SUV I seriously cross-shopped was the MB G-Wagon. Options I got were: Mark Levinson audio upgrade, DVD entertainment, HUD, cool box, luxury package, 21" wheels. When it gets delivered I'll post some pics for you folks.

Very nice. But you do realize it is a Toyota Land Cruiser, with some more sound dampening and a few more luxurious options. You have the best SUV on the road today based on reliability, longevity, resale, and capability. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by 93cruiser
Originally Posted by GenSan

Very nice. But you do realize it is a Toyota Land Cruiser, with some more sound dampening and a few more luxurious options. You have the best SUV on the road today based on reliability, longevity, resale, and capability. Enjoy.

and the worlds ugliest front end on an suv as well......

Been thinking about this for a year and If it were me I would lease one as the new vehicle feeling of life is now worth living cause i look pretty in the new car dies at about 3 years. FYI,, I still look pretty in my 2015 ford F150 .

Originally Posted by 93cruiser
Mark Levinson audio upgrade

I remember their uber high end home stereos from the 80s. They were sweet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back