Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Being from Canada, I would think you would know that tires, and/or chains make all the difference in snow and especially ice.

Stock, low-bidder all-season tires will give a nice ride on dry or wet roads, but will be sorely lacking on pretty much anything more challenging.

Believe me I know an all-season from from a variable conditions all-season and always have winter tires on when the temps dip to 40sF average and take them off when the temps are above that.

Originally Posted By: CT8
A 911 would be money better spent that a Landcruiser. [/quote]

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

So if your a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, you should drive a ____________?

If I was a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, I would drive a $28K Honda Accord.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
You could buy a rental property that pays you every month. Or buy a depreciating asset. Your choice.

Yes because a $85K piece of rental property is going to be peaches and cream. Pick up a bottom dollar shanty rental that will need repairs and ongoing maintenance and rent it to lower income individuals who wont take care of it and try to get back into the black in a few decades or Procure the finest SUV ever built...That is definitely a hard choice. . . .

LOL! Just teasing ya! People need to spend their money how they see fit.

Every market is different. In MY market, $85K will get you a nice rental home that pulls in $800 to $1000 in monthly income. Living in southwest Florida, its slap full of retirees that dont cause a ruckus and pay their bills on time. My father in law has about 30 of these rental homes, all rented to northern retirees and he rarely if ever has any problems. If you live in a dump like Philly, then yes, a $85K rental WILL give you problems.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Wolf sounds like my friend from Wheeling, WV who is a fam med doc from Nepal and his wife is a nurse. He bought a $500k home 5 years ago in Pittsburgh and then recently moved to Winetka, IL and picked up a $1Mil "fixer-upper" that should really sell for $100K. The kicker is he hasn't off-loaded the Pitt. property yet and he told me in the past that he still supports his family back in Nepal. He drives a range rover and the wife a 5 series beamer. I feel any day now that guy will overburden himself with too much debt and he will never see the end of the tunnel the way he spends. Some docs want to live like they are ballers but I prefer to live within my means.

Well I just run the credit checks, usually they're just the co-signers on a lease so I don't get asset information. For all I know, they could be loaded but choose to carry mortgages and leases so they can maximize their returns in the stock market. In my area, the real estate market is booming stuff that sells today is up 10-20% over 2 years ago. So he might actually make out holding that other property and selling it in the spring.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
You guys should be on Oprah.
I figured us to be more of a Springer crowd. Or maybe I'm projecting. I should speak for myself
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Wolf sounds like my friend from Wheeling, WV who is a fam med doc from Nepal and his wife is a nurse. He bought a $500k home 5 years ago in Pittsburgh and then recently moved to Winetka, IL and picked up a $1Mil "fixer-upper" that should really sell for $100K. The kicker is he hasn't off-loaded the Pitt. property yet and he told me in the past that he still supports his family back in Nepal. He drives a range rover and the wife a 5 series beamer. I feel any day now that guy will overburden himself with too much debt and he will never see the end of the tunnel the way he spends. Some docs want to live like they are ballers but I prefer to live within my means.

Well I just run the credit checks, usually they're just the co-signers on a lease so I don't get asset information. For all I know, they could be loaded but choose to carry mortgages and leases so they can maximize their returns in the stock market. In my area, the real estate market is booming stuff that sells today is up 10-20% over 2 years ago. So he might actually make out holding that other property and selling it in the spring.

I live close to Wilmette/Winetka, IL and I endorse this message....

How about getting a slightly used Land Cruiser for like $65k? I've seen a lot of near new condition examples with low miles.

The way the door shuts on the G wagon is just awesome.....and the rear hatch.....its amazing.

I can afford a "better" car, but I drive Kias and Hyundais. I don't like spending over $20K on a vehicle and my latest acquisition was the 2012 Sonata in my signature for the princely sum of $7500. I was going to buy a new 2017 in the beginning, but then I found this low miles manual, which they don't make anymore. That, and the low low price, seduced me.

I cannot getting my mind around spending $85K on a vehicle.

But, to each his own, if you will enjoy it and you can afford it, buy it.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Being from Canada, I would think you would know that tires, and/or chains make all the difference in snow and especially ice.

Stock, low-bidder all-season tires will give a nice ride on dry or wet roads, but will be sorely lacking on pretty much anything more challenging.

Believe me I know an all-season from from a variable conditions all-season and always have winter tires on when the temps dip to 40sF average and take them off when the temps are above that.

My post was in reply to member 'userfriendly'.

Last edited:
Wow, good thread and going strong. I wanted to see if the OP ever posted again after the OP. He has, the last 50 posts of his have been in this thread.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

So if your a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, you should drive a ____________?

If I was a $500K a year cardiac surgeon, I would drive a $28K Honda Accord.

Thats funny, I see nurses making $70K driving a $70K BMW or Benz...

85K.. that is 15K more than I paid for my house and my house has appreciated in value to 170K while a vehicle ... will likely lose value. But if one really wants it and has the disposable income to do it then ... spending 85K is as good of way to dispose of cash as any.

Some people spend their entire lives trying to change a number on a piece of paper. My grandfather did that, worked until he dropped, wouldn't spend money on anything, never took a vacation or bought a decent car. But, my mother and aunt made up for it, paid him back by burning through the entire estate in 5 years with nothing to show for it. On the 1st day they spent over $30k in 1982 on fur coats which I have now and nobody wants. I hind sight, at least my mother and aunt, both long gone 10-15 years ago, had 5 more years of a good life than my grandfather and suffering grandmother who he wouldn't spend a nickel on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back