Talk me out of an $85,000 SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've considered the LC before as well.

The latest one has re-sparked my interest. Before that it was a matter of liking the late 90s model.

But there are so many other cars that are excellent and I could buy two of for the same money...

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The good Doc said; "Talk me out of buying an $85K SUV". Not; "I have $85K to blow on 2 kilograms what should I do?".
4x4 crew cab pickup trucks are the new SUVs on the block. I don't feel that $85K is too much to pay.
I just spent $200k on my daughter's nursing degree and now she's pregnant. Again!
That's goofy money for a nursing degree, even for NP certification

GenSan I get where you are coming from. You've earned it and you are old enough to want what you want - end of discussion
laugh.gif

I recently did what I wanted. A 1993 F-150 extended cab 4x4 that my wife tested long before I got there and said it was OK. Only 83K on the ODO (was a garage queen). And that's my point. You could drop $85K on a brand new one, or you could seriously shop for a real nice used one out west where it only went to the mall in Phoenix or LA ...

No rust, it is the actual legend they are talking about, not the 2017 incarnation ... And the money you save could buy that nice cabin up in the hills, or a decent boat to tow behind it
smile.gif

I'm not trying to be cheap. I have a Big Bronco - why, because of the turning radius and the soft ride off-road. It's not a Toyota, but it's been more than 10,000 miles off-road and it has needed little. And in the nasties it'll give your Toy a run for it's money with electric windows, A/C. cruise and all still working at 218K. Yeah, I over maintain too
laugh.gif

There are essential goodies for real off roading like high lift jack, shovels, come-along or winch, saws, etc. And WV has real off roading opportunities to enjoy. Some pretty country out there. I'd just hate to put some brush burns on $85K ...
frown.gif
I'd rather scratch say $35K (a real fine used one with some add-ons)
laugh.gif

I'm not knocking a L-C in any way. My BIL has one and loves it. He also has an Infinity QX and they both go off-road (MOAB).

While you are cross shopping, I'd like to relate a story. Was maybe five years ago. Was returning from a business trip in my little Ford Ranger 4x4 company truck. Coming through Jamison Canyon when it was two lanes. Lady in a BMW X5 stopped at a light on my left. Light went yellow, then red as I was stopping. She started across and get tagged hard by a Kenworth tractor trailer running the red.

Completely tore the front off the KW and put the radiator into the fan. Spun her around more than once. When the dust settled, she jumped out to see if her kids were OK in the back seat. She actually opened the rear tailgate to get a fire extinguisher. She could drive home in a mangled 4x4. They towed the KW. I was there the whole time as prime witness. Do not discount BMW X series. They are tough. May not be my cup of tea, but I was amazed ...

The Escaleds and Tahoes and all are OK. But if real off roading is in your future, the list gets shorter quick. A Hummer H2 is a decent off road piece and surprisingly comfortable inside. Good towing capability, etc. Someones Big Bronco Eddie Bauer that sat in the garage most of it's life would be cool (sort of like finding that nice air cooled Porsche
laugh.gif
). A four door Jeep Rubicon is good solid vehicle and quite capable
smile.gif

From there, the repair to miles off road ratio starts to look a lot worse ... I have friends in a Land Rover club. They love them as oddities, and they tinker on them a lot. Only the Defender will slog you through w/o a trip to the dealer
frown.gif
They are a legend too, but not the SUV versions ...

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Originally Posted By: khittner
I'm finding it pretty difficult to believe that a 6-7-figure MD (in uh, WV, no less) gives actually gives a rat's rump about what the econo-misers on BITOG think about his prospective vehicle choices.

should I take that as a complement? btw I do my own oil changes on a 97 4runner.

It is. Actually I do credit checks on doctors, seems like what they mostly do is lease a car in the 1k+ monthly range and then maybe have a million dollar plus mortgage and that's about it. Over a 3 year lease, typically around 40k or so. But over the last 3 years, 85k in the bank and paying 1k monthly lease payments probably did better than just paying 85k. But if 85k is in the low single digits of your net worth, then you mind as well just spend it and not worry about it.

Being from Canada, I would think you would know that tires, and/or chains make all the difference in snow and especially ice.

Stock, low-bidder all-season tires will give a nice ride on dry or wet roads, but will be sorely lacking on pretty much anything more challenging.

True, but the first stop for an expensive SUV especially in Colorado, shouldn't be the tire shop.
Studded Toyo CT or Nitto EXOs would smarten up any serious winter vehicle.
Studded Hankook RW-11 275/65/20s are my winter set. Goodyear Duratracs are popular in deep snow around here.

Cooper ST Maxx looks like a good deep snow tire, prolly a little hard for ice, but studs would fix that problem.

Last edited:
True, but the first stop for an expensive SUV especially in Colorado, shouldn't be the tire shop.
Studded Toyo CT or Nitto EXOs would smarten up any serious winter vehicle.
Studded Hankook RW-11 275/65/20s are my winter set. Goodyear Duratracs are popular in deep snow around here.

Cooper ST Maxx looks like a good deep snow tire, prolly a little hard for ice, but studs would fix that problem.

I had the stock, low-bidder highway tires that came on the '17 Dually I bought a few months back, swapped out for Toyo Open Country C/T tires before I took delivery. They ride nice and surprisingly quiet for an aggressive, commercially rated A/T. I chose those for better traction on dirt roads that I might pull the toy hauler on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dblshock
F' it, buy both.

One of these days I'll have that YOLO mentality.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The whole thing is a Toyota Land Cruiser is so blah. An sun is no more a status symbol than a mini van it;s a tool. A Vette or a Porsche yes Landcruiser no $85,000 can be better spent vehicle wise.

I hate status symbols. I grew up in wealthy suburbia of Cherry Hill, NJ but own 2 farm homes in WV and WI and drive a 20 year old 4runner, go figure.
Instead of a Rolex, AP, JLC, et all that I often see my co-workers wear, me, a g-shock and I spoiled myself with a couple of Grand Seikos while I was in Japan for a conference but wear a Citizen GPS watch mostly.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Yeah, if you can afford it, theres probably much worse ways to spend the money. I'm a big fan of G Wagon too, although the flashiness puts it in a very different category than the LC.

I prefer under the radar.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: spk2000
Have you looked at the Porsche Cayenne. Best of both world's Sports SUV. May not have the best off road capability so depends on your off road needs. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face. That is if you are not making payments on it.

If I get a porsche it will never be a cayenne nor panamera....only a 911. I'm a purist at heart.
A 911 would be money better spent that a Landcruiser.

One of these days.

The good Doc said; "Talk me out of buying an $85K SUV". Not; "I have $85K to blow on hookers what should I do?".
4x4 crew cab pickup trucks are the new SUVs on the block. I don't feel that $85K is too much to pay.
I just spent $200k on my daughter's nursing degree and now she's pregnant. Again!

Yup see plenty of them throughout the Midwest. You're a good father...hats off.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Spend another 40k, get the G500. You're Welcome.

Will cross-shop a G-wagon.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've considered the LC before as well.

The latest one has re-sparked my interest. Before that it was a matter of liking the late 90s model.

But there are so many other cars that are excellent and I could buy two of for the same money...

Maybe I should be looking at restored FJ cruisers as well. Always been a fan of the old FJs.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
GenSan I get where you are coming from. You've earned it and you are old enough to want what you want - end of discussion
laugh.gif

I recently did what I wanted. A 1993 F-150 extended cab 4x4 that my wife tested long before I got there and said it was OK. Only 83K on the ODO (was a garage queen). And that's my point. You could drop $85K on a brand new one, or you could seriously shop for a real nice used one out west where it only went to the mall in Phoenix or LA ...

No rust, it is the actual legend they are talking about, not the 2017 incarnation ... And the money you save could buy that nice cabin up in the hills, or a decent boat to tow behind it
smile.gif

I'm not trying to be cheap. I have a Big Bronco - why, because of the turning radius and the soft ride off-road. It's not a Toyota, but it's been more than 10,000 miles off-road and it has needed little. And in the nasties it'll give your Toy a run for it's money with electric windows, A/C. cruise and all still working at 218K. Yeah, I over maintain too
laugh.gif

There are essential goodies for real off roading like high lift jack, shovels, come-along or winch, saws, etc. And WV has real off roading opportunities to enjoy. Some pretty country out there. I'd just hate to put some brush burns on $85K ...
frown.gif
I'd rather scratch say $35K (a real fine used one with some add-ons)
laugh.gif

I'm not knocking a L-C in any way. My BIL has one and loves it. He also has an Infinity QX and they both go off-road (MOAB).

While you are cross shopping, I'd like to relate a story. Was maybe five years ago. Was returning from a business trip in my little Ford Ranger 4x4 company truck. Coming through Jamison Canyon when it was two lanes. Lady in a BMW X5 stopped at a light on my left. Light went yellow, then red as I was stopping. She started across and get tagged hard by a Kenworth tractor trailer running the red.

Completely tore the front off the KW and put the radiator into the fan. Spun her around more than once. When the dust settled, she jumped out to see if her kids were OK in the back seat. She actually opened the rear tailgate to get a fire extinguisher. She could drive home in a mangled 4x4. They towed the KW. I was there the whole time as prime witness. Do not discount BMW X series. They are tough. May not be my cup of tea, but I was amazed ...

The Escaleds and Tahoes and all are OK. But if real off roading is in your future, the list gets shorter quick. A Hummer H2 is a decent off road piece and surprisingly comfortable inside. Good towing capability, etc. Someones Big Bronco Eddie Bauer that sat in the garage most of it's life would be cool (sort of like finding that nice air cooled Porsche
laugh.gif
). A four door Jeep Rubicon is good solid vehicle and quite capable
smile.gif

From there, the repair to miles off road ratio starts to look a lot worse ... I have friends in a Land Rover club. They love them as oddities, and they tinker on them a lot. Only the Defender will slog you through w/o a trip to the dealer
frown.gif
They are a legend too, but not the SUV versions ...

Thanks for the insight man. Even then I don't act like some of the pretentious fakes whose material status is more important than their character.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: khittner
I'm finding it pretty difficult to believe that a 6-7-figure MD (in uh, WV, no less) gives actually gives a rat's rump about what the econo-misers on BITOG think about his prospective vehicle choices.

should I take that as a complement? btw I do my own oil changes on a 97 4runner.

It is. Actually I do credit checks on doctors, seems like what they mostly do is lease a car in the 1k+ monthly range and then maybe have a million dollar plus mortgage and that's about it. Over a 3 year lease, typically around 40k or so. But over the last 3 years, 85k in the bank and paying 1k monthly lease payments probably did better than just paying 85k. But if 85k is in the low single digits of your net worth, then you mind as well just spend it and not worry about it.

Wolf sounds like my friend from Wheeling, WV who is a fam med doc from Nepal and his wife is a nurse. He bought a $500k home 5 years ago in Pittsburgh and then recently moved to Winetka, IL and picked up a $1Mil "fixer-upper" that should really sell for $100K. The kicker is he hasn't off-loaded the Pitt. property yet and he told me in the past that he still supports his family back in Nepal. He drives a range rover and the wife a 5 series beamer. I feel any day now that guy will overburden himself with too much debt and he will never see the end of the tunnel the way he spends. Some docs want to live like they are ballers but I prefer to live within my means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back