All the same, Rixxer all the same, little variations between the manufactures

But a ball dealy at the end of the axle

Wiper seals

A wheel joint of some sort

and full of goop or oil,

A Closed Steering knuckle, unlike you I do not see a Toyota,

I just see a Closed steering axle that is filled with oil or goop,

Never a #2 grease,

A long time ago at a tranny seminar the instructor , the first thing he said, is I do not care what it says on the hood, and what they say about it,

You go with what you know,,,,

Heres a photo (not the greatest) of the inside of the bushing being discussed earlier.

spindle.jpg

Originally Posted By: 93Chewbacca
Heres a photo (not the greatest) of the inside of the bushing being discussed earlier.

spindle.jpg

Good enough picture, the lower arrow pointing to the champher is normal,
This allows the lubrication up into the bushing, Now this support is critical,

There are No # from Toyota for max allowable wear, but I feel anything over .008 is excessive,

Also be sure to check axle end float, again no # from Toyota so I came up with .075 Max .015 Min, just by researching what other manufactures speced for end play,

And notice the lube groove entry point is at the lowest spot,
This ensures lubrication even if the level is not maintained for the longest possible time,

Just sort of "Nice Engineering" but if you look at this from the Toyota sales end of things, "Not So nice" this also ensures the most possible lube flow out to the bearings to "Attack and Invade" a incompatible grease if introduced in a wheel bearing service, as per Toyota Sales FSM

There isn't SUPPOSED TO BE any lube flow "out to the bearings".
That bushing is obviously NOT meant to pump grease.

Originally Posted By: Rix
There isn't SUPPOSED TO BE any lube flow "out to the bearings".
That bushing is obviously NOT meant to pump grease.

Rixxer

The whole idea of a lube groove or grooves in this bushing at to allow lubrication thru it

It is a pump, no, but grease will "Worm" or work its way through there,

Everyone knows this,,,

cruiseroutfit RME Vendor!
Cruizah!

"So lets go to the land of make believe and pretend for a minute that the felt and rubber wiper seals Toyota used are actually capable of holding a fluid like lubricant (which they are not as proven by the many that have tried). What would prevent the any viscous lubricant from working its way right down the spindle, and filling the hub full of lube, then leaking from one of the seals at the hub that were never designed to keep in anything but a light smear of grease?"
Kurt Williams,

Toyota Steering knuckle leak Thread , Utah Rock Crawler,.

Well Kurt your dead on about the "viscous lubricant from working its way right down the spindle, and filling the hub full of lube,"

And the seals at the hub, OIL seals,

Contain the viscous lube just fine, actually at these seals 140 W oil can be contained,

Oil seals, even listed as such,,,

Everyone knows this Rixxer, cept you I quess,,

Now a "Master of the Obvious" can look at that bushing and see that it is intended to allow lubrication thru it

But if you want to get fancy we could enter in all the data needed for a fancy computer test,

"Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems that involve fluid flows."

Yikes,

Computational fluid dynamics

1st off: The grooves in that bushing DON'T CONNECT. There is no path for grease to be pumped around in there.
2nd: The hub dial was NEVER meant to hold much of anything in.
It's not much more than a dust seal. If thinned out grease gets through the spindle, the hub dial will start to leak. And the thinned out stuff will sling all over the hub dial, the wheels, the side of the car, etc.
3rd: the spindle and hub design is VERY OBVIOUSLY NOT meant to move grease around. What facilitates the movement? Nothing.
4th: You've NEVER SEEN factory grease. I have. You're wrong about what came in them.

1st off: The grooves in that bushing DON'T CONNECT. There is no path for grease to be pumped around in there.
2nd: The hub dial was NEVER meant to hold much of anything in.
It's not much more than a dust seal. If thinned out grease gets through the spindle, the hub dial will start to leak. And the thinned out stuff will sling all over the hub dial, the wheels, the side of the car, etc.
3rd: the spindle and hub design is VERY OBVIOUSLY NOT meant to move grease around. What facilitates the movement? Nothing.
4th: You've NEVER SEEN factory grease. I have. You're wrong about what came in them.

What do you mean they dont connect, they go all the way thru ?????

Now this hub dial can contain gear oil 140w No problem this 30 year old Wally axle full of 140 not a trace of leakage at the hub dial ?

None,

Time to Wise up here Rixxer, what is leaking from the hub dial is a thin separated base oil,

I know the Toyota sales guys have you in deep, but you have to understand the conclusions your drawing a incorrect

Hopefully you can see the gear oil in the wheel hub in this pic measuring axle end float ?

No leaks at hub dial

004_WallyRig_AxleEndfloat.jpg

What facilitates the movement?

Rixxer

Well now that "Computational fluid Dynamics " course,

We have to get you up to speed on the Grade of grease,

Get you to understand somethings , level 3, "Master of the Obvious

But the spinning of the axle has something to do with it

It WOULD have something to do with it, if the grooves were set up to move grease.
They aren't.
Sorry.

Well they are Rixxer,

The whole reason why they are there !

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Lubriplate has a product that "says" it is good for all types of bearings. Buttttttttttt, I was under the delusion that moly grease was not optimum for wheel bearings.

Having said that, I believe Ford does/did recommend moly grease for their wheel bearings. Go figure.

http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/3_39 SYN-3002_and_SYN-3001.pdf

Doitmyself, thank you for this info!

Side note: The reason I need a moly grease with wheel bearing approval is because this grease is for the Birfield joints (front universal joints) on a 93 Toyota Land Cruiser. The Toyota service manual calls for a lithium based grease with moly additive. The birfield housing also (sometimes) shares grease with the wheel bearing cavity, and thus the greases mix together eventually (sometimes). I (and many other Land Cruiser owners) have been looking for a grease that could be used in both places without any issues.

This could be exactly what we've have been looking for. Thanks!!
smile.gif

Do you know of a good place to order this stuff in regular tubes?

So 93 Chewbacca, can we add the "Uber Super Duper Secret Moly Backwoodsgoop" ® To your Birfield grease list on Mud ??

Funny they wont let me back in says they have a ongoing "Anti Spam policy"

Well Your benevolent Dictator over there allows Toyota Sales Spam all day long,,

Kick it around , if your doing a axle over haul now or soon, I will send you a sample,

I have not had a close look at these until now but it is my opinion that this bushing is designed to move lubricant into the bushing, and keep it in there.

spindlebushing1.jpg

This is the new updated replacement design bearing. I think this is a superior design.

spindlebearing.jpg

The Thrust portion is exactly the same, The caged Roller bearing, ah maybee but keep in mind 93 Chewbacca, this bushing style has lasted since the 1950,s and worked just fine

The upgrade bearing is actually from the Independent Frt suspension set up, where they had problems with squealing noise when cold,

This upgraded part for the IFS calls for a Toyota Chassis grease to lube this part (Spindle bearing) it is a #1 grade lithium soap synthetic oil grease,

Available at the dealership for about 15 bucks a oz

I ordered a tube of this to check it out, #1 grade,,,

but back to the bushing, While you see the design intent to lube to move into the bushing and stay there, Well the spindle opens up , the axle I measured had .060 open area for the grease to move thru the spindle,

As far as what direction,? how much,? grease,, dont know have to do some Computational Fluid Dynamic studies,,

But what I do know in relation to this is , If a incompatible grease is introduced, the factory semi fluid will mix with it then thin, travel back thru the spindle and leak from the wiper seal,

This is the only area where the Fluid Dynamics, comes into play for me, and what I know for sure,

Chewbaca, just for your info. CAT makes an Ulta Moly 5 grease in all three grades 0, 1 and 2. Its a calcium sulfonate complex with %5 molybdenum disulfide. I use both the 1 and 2 grades in a 14 oz tube. it's about $5.00 to $6.50 per tube depending on grade. It's very good grease.

Originally Posted By: IH8mush
Thanks Auburn, I discovered that a while back. CAT makes good stuff.
smile.gif

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105995

Well 93 chewbacca, I did a thread on the Ranger Station Forums, using this fluid lubricant in a wheel hub of a 95 Ford Ranger, but the "Super Sasquatch Moderator" did not agree with me so deleted the thread and banned me,

Felt this grease was not Okay for Wheel bearings, asked him why but no answer,

The Dodge Brothers seem to think it Okay, The Willies Overland Company, Ford, International, but these are old greasy geasers that no one listens to any more,

Well I will hopefully explain this situation here the best I can

Now it was Import Vehicles that I first noticed a liquid type lube in the Wheel hub, but then got to looking into it and it was real common 50 years ago,Domestically,

This way of going about lubricating a wheel hub has several advantages, the main one simply longevity,

Why the change? I will touch on this a bit as well as showing 93 Chewbacca this form of grease Toyota showed me, that the old boys used,

So heres the Milt Rig

PICT0444-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back