Particular brand/type of grease

All, I have purchased a bunch of Moog suspension parts for a front end rebuild on a Tahoe and am struggling with grease selection.

The parts came with some bright blue translucent grease in them that looks a bit like a blue version of red n tacky. This isn't the milky blue color of marine grease or curelean from valvoline, this is much bluer and brighter, like a royal blue. It's actually about the color of the blue in the blue and yellow Moog branding.

Moog can't tell me what grease they put in the parts, just that I need an NLGI #2 GC-LB that is lithium or synthetic. I have been told that Paragon 3000 is the hot ticket, but am also told that it is a calcium-lithium grease that may not play nicely with other grease. I don't want compatability issues, but I definitely want long service life. Any idea what the factory blue grease may have been, or suggestions on whether I will be good with Paragon 3000 or if there is some safe alternative that is nearly as good or better? I am open to suggestions from the experts.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can make!

the blue grease from factory could be any brand,just switch to any brand you like,grease it a few times to flush out the blue grease,over time,myself you could use Schaeffers #274 aluminium complex would be a excellent grease as al. complex is water resistant, or if you want a lithium complex,Mystik JT-6 high temp (red) grease would also be fine.,,,Mystik also markets a blue synthetic grease (SX-6) ? that is excellent is what i have in my grease gun. (the new mystik is called syn-blend jt-6 ) its blue colored..

Last edited:
the blue grease from factory could be any brand,just switch to any brand you like,grease it a few times to flush out the blue grease,over time,myself you could use Schaeffers #274 aluminium complex would be a excellent grease as al. complex is water resistant, or if you want a lithium complex,Mystik JT-6 high temp (red) grease would also be fine.,,,Mystik also markets a blue synthetic grease (SX-6) ? that is excellent is what i have in my grease gun. (the new mystik is called syn-blend jt-6 ) its blue colored..
Moog says lithium or synthetic, so it sounds like I can just grease it with Mystic and be good? I take it the Paragon 3000 is a no-go then?

the paragon 3000 is made by TRC (texas refining company),,this grease is more of a industrial grease,could not find specs on chassis gc-lb,,,the low temp performance maybe a concern,never saw a calcium/lithium base before,,i would stay with Mystik syn-blend or schaeffers #274,,or if you can find Kendall 427 lithium complex super blue,,check auto parts stores,is a good route to go also (its gc-lb approved)

Last edited:
I don’t know if my grease is magical or if my Chevy 3/4 ton ball joints are well designed, but I have over 250,000 miles on them and have been using synthetic grease, first Mobil ( which as everyone knows is very runny ) and then Motomaster which for a long time was supplied by Citgo and was identical to Mystik synthetic grease. One hallmark is that the vehicle has been used a lot in freezing conditions and perhaps that’s where the synthetics shine. Although it’s a synthetic the description still says it is a lithium complex and is GC-LB approved.

604D92E7-0C15-4EE3-8AA4-0C94717723B8.jpeg

Last edited:
the paragon 3000 is made by TRC (texas refining company),,this grease is more of a industrial grease,could not find specs on chassis gc-lb,,,the low temp performance maybe a concern,never saw a calcium/lithium base before,,i would stay with Mystik syn-blend or schaeffers #274,,or if you can find Kendall 427 lithium complex super blue,,check auto parts stores,is a good route to go also (its gc-lb approved)
Okay, I will give it a look! Everything I read about Paragon, which was a recommendation from another grease aficionado was that it was superb for this application. He just couldn't confirm if I would have compatability issues or not. Sounds like I should avoid it.

I have used Kendall SHP for years with excellent results. It's a calcium sulfonate product which is compatible with lithium and is extremely water resistant. It works well on boat trailer wheel bearings.

I had almost 230000K on my balljoints with Royal purple grease, and they were still tight. 3500 truck

either the Mobil synthetic grease or the Mobil Delvac is my go to. i used to run the green lucas grease but ever since the shortage of base stocks i’ve moved on.

Back