Survey says Italy best cuisine in the world

I grew up with best of two worlds... One grandmother whose mom came from Sicily during WWII and the other was French Cajun and both of them could cook like some of the best chefs in the finest restaraunts anyplace. I still have to give the edge to the French Cajun
dishes that grandmother put on the table.

We all know American Chinese takeaway is Number One. 😜 I rather miss Swiss food on this list as I could live on cheese and Rösti alone. Making a The-Best-of-List is silly when it comes to taste, much of which is acquired.

Ha...In an off-the-beaten-track restaurant in Oslo a conversation ensued which ended with me in the kitchen...making the joint's first cheeseburgers.
I told them USDA Angus beef and to not overwork the patties. The couple at the hotel where I worked told me I should open a burger restaurant in Stockholm. Not sure why Nordic countries have such a difficult time making great burgers.

I've had Mexican in Mexico and it was super bland, just a small sample though. Greek food in Greece was the best. Haven't been to Italy yet but Tuscany is supposed to be the ground zero of best tasting food anywhere (according to Steve Harvey lol). Italia is next on my vacation list.

In the mean time:

Not sure why Nordic countries have such a difficult time making great burgers.
I have a theory on that one.
Things are expensive in Scandinavia.
Wives and daughters team up, divide kgs of ground meat and make "Swedish Meatballs" by the score and freeze them. They are lunch box meals as well as dinners.
As a subsequence, they're not a relished dish.
Burgers aren't far removed.

Minard's Spaghetti Inn in Clarksburg, WV has delicious food. And an interesting story of two brothers who married two sisters, one couple beginning the business in their kitchen during the great depression, the other joining when it grew too large for just the one couple, and still family owned and operated over 90 years later. I'd love to go again but don't foresee leaving Houston.

Reactions: GON
Why's Germany so far down there? Do people not like sauerkraut and schnitzel?

French food is weird

I have always enjoyed eating a variety of ethnic foods and I'm not talking about chicken feet. My parents had for a while a Chinese lady who helped out with cooking and such. My mom told me when she got home one time, five-year-old me was sitting on the carpet with a plate of cooked chicken feet, happily nibbling around the claws. I don't remember this at all and like to think it never happened.

Besides the fusion slop I make, I can tolerate Indian, Japanese, and Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food for prolonged periods before I get tired of it.

I have always enjoyed eating a variety of ethnic foods and I'm not talking about chicken feet. My parents had for a while a Chinese lady who helped out with cooking and such. My mom told me when she got home one time, five-year-old me was sitting on the carpet with a plate of cooked chicken feet, happily nibbling around the claws. I don't remember this at all and like to think it never happened.
You only blocked it out, just like your first English words. "Mo China Takeaway!!"

I don't feel like I have to travel far to find great food.

We have a wealth of wonderful dining options these days in the USA. A couple of generations ago, in most of the country your options were greasy spoon, Americanized Chinese and spaghetti and meatballs style Italian. Now one can find anything from Nepalese to Ethiopian or Korean food in every major city.

How much poorer my life would be without Thai food or taco trucks or sushi?

Why's Germany so far down there? Do people not like sauerkraut and schnitzel?

French food is weird
Schnitzel is really Austrian but popular throughout Central Europe. It's also very popular in Japan. Chicken katsu, tonkatsu, etc is a cut-up schnitzel. Katsu = breaded deep-fried cutlet. Karaage is essentially chicken fingers. My guess is that the popularity of breaded deep-fried dishes in Japanese cuisine is due to Western influences. Traditionally, the Japanese didn't eat bread other than anpan which was more of a pastry, so why would they have breadcrumbs?

We went to Germany when I was 9. I'd never been a big eater. My mom often asked me to eat more and I said when I got hungry I'd eat. We went to a great restaurant in a small town named Marbach. I ordered the 1/2 chicken and wound up eating all of it. Then I ate part of my mom's giant bratwurst. Then I told her "See Momma, I told you I'd eat when I was hungry." Wish I could get that same exact halbe henchen (prob misspelled) again.

People in USA don't really know German cooking. There are some tasty dishes! Germans are a bit more adventurous with flavor than most believe.
My experience with German food is mostly limited to restaurants in Leavenworth (a Bavarian themed tourist town in Washington). I wasn't all that thrilled with anything, though who can hate a beer garden brat with a dozen mustard options.

Back