Stupid driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only worry about the things I can control. Moronic driving from other people is not something I can change, so why bother getting mad?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't treat solid or double yellow lines as "hard medians" if I'm driving in an area where I know the traffic pattern. I have to travel a lot of windy "rattlesnake" roads and the state double striped all the backroad highways araound here. How am I supposed to take a fast straightline thru a corner with that slippery stripe in the middle? I must ignore them If I have to pass a slowpoke.
To make matters SUPERBAD for me, the very Not-Wise GVT nannies somehow got funds to dig a rumble strip on the 2-lane RT-111 centerlines solely (thru coincidence) because a woman hit a tractor-trailer head on at full combined speed due to inattention(or ?) and her crossing the double yellow on a wide open road section with perfect visibility.

Stats ~35,000 highway deaths/year in the U.S. sounds Crazy. But now I read in CR about 1/2 million deaths due to Hospital malpractice per year.

That's Outrageous.

Typical. You are the one breaking the law but it is the other guy causing a problem and is the dangerous one.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in people sitting at stop lights, totally unaware the light has turned green? I've never used my horn so much.

ALL THE TIME! I have even sat through stop lights a few times because of this.

I won't beep ... afraid of what the person would do.

Oh, I'll tap the horn. I'd want someone to let me know if I didn't notice.

But Then there are people stopping in a dedicated right-turn lane with NO "yield" sign because the turn lane becomes its own lane. They'll sit looking over their shoulder for an opening they don't need while traffic stacks up behind. That's a situation where I'm not at all bashful about laying on the horn and holding it till they move.

Recent shenanigans that really [censored] me off,people who SLAM on their brakes at the first hint of the light turning yellow,and the ones who feel it's somehow uncool or unhip to use turning signals. They'll sit there and kind've drive along beside you (on a road where they have the option to either turn in your lane or exit to the right) with no signal on,and sit there and wave their arms in the air because you're not slowing down to let them in. USE A SIGNAL to let others know,we're not mindreaders.

We live in a society that encourages stupidity, and we have a legal system that rewards it. Why are we shocked to see stupidity increase?

I agree that many people just seem to be getting dumber behind the wheel, phone or not. Many people just have a lazy approach to driving and don't seem to care if their driving is bad and impacting traffic flow.

Phones and other distractions amplify the issue, but definitely are not the sole cause. A lot of the time when I see someone on the phone while driving, they are all over the place, not signaling, not really paying any attention to what they are doing. A lot of these people would still be bad drivers without the phone though. Also, not everyone who uses a phone while driving is driving poorly, it's just that many people are unable to pay attention to more than one thing at a time. How do you decide and control who is or is not capable of using a phone while driving?

I've also noticed people not going on green, or taking off at an unreasonably slow speed, almost like they are idling through the intersection. This is really annoying when it causes others to unnecessarily sit through another light cycle.

I think there are two social trends beyond simple phone distraction that are the root cause. One is that many people are simply self absorbed and not concerned about others. Impeding traffic does not concern them, because they are the center of the universe. Secondly, a lot of people have extremely short attention spans, and with cars becoming more isolated and more automatic in operation, they feel no real need to pay attention to what they are doing. Driving used to be a more involving activity for the driver, now it's almost as numb as laying in bed.

I think the growing trend of blind spot monitors, lane departure warnings, etc. actually make the problems worse because they give bad drivers a false sense of security. "I don't have to pay attention because the car will do it for me." They may not be treating these features as a second line of defense or a backup for catching things they may miss while otherwise paying attention. Rather, they pass all responsibility off to the electronic monitors.

The solution, if there is one, probably starts with licensing and tests. A lot of driving instruction in this country is from a different period in time. People are taught things like parallel parking and what a rail road crossing sign looks like, but not to be fully aware of their surroundings and what they are doing. I think driver education needs an overhaul, with more focus on paying attention and driving in a cooperative manner.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Has anyone else noticed a drastic increase in people sitting at stop lights, totally unaware the light has turned green? I've never used my horn so much.

ALL THE TIME! I have even sat through stop lights a few times because of this.

I won't beep ... afraid of what the person would do.

I don't beep. I've always felt my horn was something to be used in emergencies only, and not as an FU. However, I don't beep, I give them a shaming horn. I used to beep. But its like every other red light. The horn of shame which comes after about 2 seconds of absolutely no movement, is a constant horn until you decide to get outside of your own self involvement and realize other people have to live with you in this world. It is most annoying when there is a line of cars at a light and the 2nd or 3rd car back is the one not paying attention. Then the road sensors don't see any cars moving and turns red immediately. That works out great for that person so they can finish updating their facebook status or texting his girlfriend about what he wants to do to her later. So the rest of us wait. Because what you have going on at the moment is more important that the task at hand...driving. I don't honk because I'm in a hurry, I honk because of the selfishness and inconsiderate behavior.

And I'm not afraid of what the person might do. Usually that person realizes what they're doing and that they're wrong. Or they just go back to doing what they were doing in the first place.

Last edited:
As I bounced of the snowbank this morning for the second time, I thought to myself, I should just hit this guy, the car is headed that way, he deserves it. Don't know why I didn't--it's not that I'm better than that, it's just not the right thing to do. Luckily he finally saw me, and as I headed up a third time he took off.

No damage, but I'm drinking decaf for the rest of the day.

I probably took the intersection too fast; there are big snowbanks, so it can be dicey. Well, not really, if you know to inch out *for the direction that doesn't have the right of way* like this moron. His way has a pair of 90 degree turns, mine was the straight-shot, coming off a 50mph main road, the on-ramp to get onto the highway. He whipped through the last 90 at about 30, which actually was impressive given the dusting we got last night.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't treat solid or double yellow lines as "hard medians" if I'm driving in an area where I know the traffic pattern. I have to travel a lot of windy "rattlesnake" roads and the state double striped all the backroad highways araound here. How am I supposed to take a fast straightline thru a corner with that slippery stripe in the middle? I must ignore them If I have to pass a slowpoke.
To make matters SUPERBAD for me, the very Not-Wise GVT nannies somehow got funds to dig a rumble strip on the 2-lane RT-111 centerlines solely (thru coincidence) because a woman hit a tractor-trailer head on at full combined speed due to inattention(or ?) and her crossing the double yellow on a wide open road section with perfect visibility.

Stats ~35,000 highway deaths/year in the U.S. sounds Crazy. But now I read in CR about 1/2 million deaths due to Hospital malpractice per year.

That's Outrageous.

Typical. You are the one breaking the law but it is the other guy causing a problem and is the dangerous one.

I'll selectively ignore bad highway planning for my own safety and driving satisfaction. 2 lane Roads are over burdened by 50% or more and moron slowpokes just turtle on down the lane causing 20 irate drivers behind them. Impeding efficient traffic flow is illegal. Wake up and drive at a safe but brisk commute speed.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
hehe, OP, you didn't ever been to Chicago? or around ORD?

I drive these areas daily and I would put these drivers up against any in the country as the worst in the country...

Originally Posted By: whip
We live in a society that encourages stupidity, and we have a legal system that rewards it. Why are we shocked to see stupidity increase?

I almost fell off my chair when I read this post and realized I agree with it!

Or he was one of the drivers that can't stand to follow people. I have seen it and rode with people that do it. They will pass someone, just to go the same speed as they were before but they "can't be behind someone"

This is a sickness with IL drivers....they all think they must be driving 20 MPH over the speed limit, and they can't stand to be behind another vehicle...and if you can manage to get a glimpse of them as they go speeding by you, they're usually on a cell phone too...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
GA has just passed a "Slowpoke" law making it an illegal, ticket-able offense to impede left lane traffic.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/state-house-member-pass-slow-poke-law-heads-senate/ndmKF/

Frankly, I don't think the law goes far enough, but it's a start. For a long time excessively slow drivers have been getting a free pass despite how dangerous, inefficient, and discourteous their driving can be.

They need to make this a nationwide law, and it ESPECIALLY needs to apply to semis...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Or he was one of the drivers that can't stand to follow people. I have seen it and rode with people that do it. They will pass someone, just to go the same speed as they were before but they "can't be behind someone"

This is a sickness with IL drivers....they all think they must be driving 20 MPH over the speed limit, and they can't stand to be behind another vehicle...and if you can manage to get a glimpse of them as they go speeding by you, they're usually on a cell phone too...
Yes. Yes it is. Seems like at least once a day I'm cut off by someone coming off of a side street who suddenly forgets why they were in such a hurry and cause me to tap the brakes to make sure I don't hit them. The kicker is that there's usually *nobody* behind me and they know that, so they could have waited a second or two and neither one of us would be ticked off.

I live right by ORD. Daily I coast in neutral towards a RED light. People get clearly upset and do whatever in their power to get around me only to brake for the light.

It's comical.

Originally Posted By: opus1

Yes. Yes it is. Seems like at least once a day I'm cut off by someone coming off of a side street who suddenly forgets why they were in such a hurry and cause me to tap the brakes to make sure I don't hit them. The kicker is that there's usually *nobody* behind me and they know that, so they could have waited a second or two and neither one of us would be ticked off.

That's just it...IL drivers refuse to wait for anything...they all drive like they're trying to make record time...

Being as I'm out in the country, and drive a lot at night, I like following another driver at a safe distance. They're the ones to hit the deer first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back