Driving in the South

On my way home, it rained, hard.

Yet drivers in TN were driving with their windows DOWN. Not cracked, but both, or all 4 down. 1 was a hooptie I assumed had no AC, but 2 others were nice SUV’s and another was a Nissan Frontier.

It was a fun trip….

Attachments

• 68BE53F6-0559-4162-8D4A-8D551C938AAC.jpeg
    68BE53F6-0559-4162-8D4A-8D551C938AAC.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 22007E28-149B-4D19-9CA2-34D5E8003EE9.jpeg
    22007E28-149B-4D19-9CA2-34D5E8003EE9.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 37AEA5C2-1E50-4AD8-A085-F0EFD88826BA.jpeg
    37AEA5C2-1E50-4AD8-A085-F0EFD88826BA.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 6
My personal favourite is passing and then getting passed a few minutes later by the same car while I’ve got my cruise control set. Then have this repeat itself with the same car 6 times over the next 3 hours of freeway driving!!!! I try to laugh at them so I won’t get mad.

People used to say Canadians drive slow. I am not sure where that came from. KPH or not, seems like your speed signs are for REFERENCE ONLY. :D:p:cool:
I stay out of the left lane in the US, but maintain my speed with the flow of traffic which is higher than I expect, much higher than in Canada, that's for sure!

Last edited:
We just made it to Gulf Shores, AL, and I have to admit, driving in the south is an adventure!

1. Cars in TN, GA, MS, and AL are sold without cruise control or turn signal levers.
2. The lanes have switched. I was able to utilize my cruise control at +5 like I always do, go faster than traffic, and pass everyone by staying in the right lane.
3. People are threatened by you trying to pass, and speed up, but immediately fade back when you eventually make it past them.
4. Nissan Altimas built before 2012 have a requirement that the driver front fender and front bumper cover be a different color than the rest of the car.

Now to enjoy vacation….
I can see you haven't driven in the New York Metropolitan area or any congested area of New Jersey and surrounding states :unsure:

I stay out of the left lane in the US, but maintain my speed with the flow of traffic which is higher than I expect, much higher than in Canada, that's for sure!
Depends where in Canada, in Alberta the main highway between Edmonton and Alberta has a posted speed limit of 110kph(69MPH) but if you have to drive 130-140kph(81-88mph) to keep up with traffic.

On my way home, it rained, hard.

Yet drivers in TN were driving with their windows DOWN. Not cracked, but both, or all 4 down. 1 was a hooptie I assumed had no AC, but 2 others were nice SUV’s and another was a Nissan Frontier.

It was a fun trip….
Hey, thanks for the tax dollars spent here! We take any and all we can get. Seriously, glad you had a good time.

I can see you haven't driven in the New York Metropolitan area or any congested area of New Jersey and surrounding states :unsure:
I have. I found it not all that terrible, at least where I was, especially compared to LA. I wouldn’t say it was easy, nor do I want to do it again, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe that is why I’m thinking it wasn’t so bad.

Hey, thanks for the tax dollars spent here! We take any and all we can get. Seriously, glad you had a good time.
We ended up making great acquaintances with a family from MS while hanging on the beach. He said exactly what you said, but added, “Keep bringing that Northern money down here!”

We would love to see them again someday, and traded info to make that happen.

We ended up making great acquaintances with a family from MS while hanging on the beach. He said exactly what you said, but added, “Keep bringing that Northern money down here!”

We would love to see them again someday, and traded info to make that happen.
I can't tell you the number of times my wife has done the same thing when we go to Gulf Shores (or Orange Beach).

On a different note, my wife has a best friend that lives in Mankato, MN and while we have flown up there multiple times to visit, I have always wanted to drive up there. Google Maps says it is right at 17 hours so that is a 2 day drive from where we are - Montgomery, AL. Not exactly sure my wife wants to be in the vehicle with me for 2 days straight!

Stereotyping people and regions is nothing more than the perception of the person stereotyping. Though I will admit to my own stereo typing after spending most my life born, raised in Metro NY. Now in the south for 16 years.

Native Southeast drivers are some of the most polite on the planet that I know of anyway. They still stop and wave/let you into their lane of traffic if you are trying to get out of a shopping center ect. They wont zoom past you by passing on the right at a traffic light.
If they know a lane merge is ahead, let's say the right lane in going to end, they will actually sit in the left lane even though they have a lot of time to pass on the right.

I have never in 4 decades seen this type of curiosity in the Metro NY Long Island area.

They still stop and wave/let you into their lane of traffic if you are trying to get out of a shopping center ect.

I think I mentioned the person who did that to me, completely unaware that the other 3 lanes weren't going to stop just because she did.

If they know a lane merge is ahead, let's say the right lane in going to end, they will actually sit in the left lane even though they have a lot of time to pass on the right.

Not what you do in heavy traffic. Zipper merge works best.

Stereotyping people and regions is nothing more than the perception of the person stereotyping. Though I will admit to my own stereo typing after spending most my life born, raised in Metro NY. Now in the south for 16 years.

Native Southeast drivers are some of the most polite on the planet that I know of anyway. They still stop and wave/let you into their lane of traffic if you are trying to get out of a shopping center ect. They wont zoom past you by passing on the right at a traffic light.

I have never in 4 decades seen this type of curiosity in the Metro NY Long Island area.
Letting someone turn right in front of me and out of the parking lot they are leaving is common courtesy (at least here in Charleston, SC). But if they want to turn left, that's a no-no due to the second and third lanes to my left. It took awhile for everyone to learn how to "zipper" and how to use a round about intersection but we have that figured out as well.

Back