Stowing Snowmobile..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for handy tips to stow my Yamaha redhead triples...someone said add transmission fluid to the treated gas, work that into the carbs/engine..then a table spoon of TF straigt up in ea. cylinder.

I usually put Sea Foam in the gas and make sure it's mixed up good, let them run a while so it gets into the carbs, and shut them off. Then I don't touch them again until it's time to get them ready again for next winter.

on a 2-stroke carbed sled? I've been using non-ethenol fuel treated with marine stabil all season..just want zero problems next winter..stowing outside in the shade (factory covers)

Fogging oil sprayed into the carbs of a warm engine. Once you've heavily dosed it through the carbs, spray some in the cylinders.

Also I like to mix in some 2 cycle oil or SeaFoam in the last couple of gallons of fuel. I leave as little fuel as possible, then top off with fresh once I'm ready to ride again.

Edit: I'd only mix some oil in if your injection system doesn't have lines that go into the carb bowls. My old sled had lines going into the bowls, my new sled dumps the oil into the carb boot.

Last edited:
I think you are already doing well with the non-ethanol fuel & marine stable. With a 2-stroke I think I'd leave the rest alone. Our 2-strokes start up well after sitting, Skidoos.

One other thing is to keep the mice out, partially dependent on where it is stored. I usually keep a 'bait house' nearby with pet proof poison inside. Mice can get in about anywhere & mess things up.

On my red-head I use non-ethanol fuel, Stabil & Seafoam. I have done the oil-in-the-cylinder thing but have stopped in later years. Starts up really well each following season. Of course it's probably one of the greatest two-stroke engines ever designed & makes me lament Yamaha's chosen development path for it's sleds, but I digress.

Steel wool in the stingers is a good idea for the varmints.

John.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Looking for handy tips to stow my Yamaha redhead triples...someone said add transmission fluid to the treated gas, work that into the carbs/engine..then a table spoon of TF straigt up in ea. cylinder.

so here's what I wound up doing...The marine stabil had been applied heavy toward last part of season so didn't feel a need for any more..syphoned out as much fuel as I could then added a couple oz. ATF..ran ea. machine maybe 1/3 mi. (I was smelling the burnt ATF)..parked them added a oz. ATF to ea, cylinder, cycled and added another splash, removed the handle bar pads, hung up moth discs and covered..after the snow melts I'll prop up on logs and plug exhaust with steel wool..they sit away from any food source pretty much out of the wind and sun all summer..will revist them 11/20/13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back