Still in the throws of buying a Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has an 01 and it's been a great van. I tried to buy a Pilot. Dealers would not deal. One told me that if I wanted a deal to buy some cheap piece of junk like a Toyota, which is what I did. The Toyota dealer and I worked out a great deal on a 4Runner and it's been great. Hondas are good vehicles, but it's too bad that you have to buy them from a Honda dealer, at least around here.

LarryL - I HEAR you. We were so close to dropping the Ody for a $20K or less Caravan. It just didn't seem worth it.

Funny thing - Most dealers were awash in hundreds of those silly Ridgelines. I went up to the sticker of a few. The fair dealer had no extra mark-up, some had a $5000 "popular Vehicle" mark-up. I think they do what they can get away with.

I am amazed at what some of the smaller Honda cars sell for. Not many under $20K. Most over $25K.

There is a reason I own HMC stock. The Lynnwood dealer was HOPPING!! Full service with all kinds of Honda equipment two waiting areas put Volvo to shame. You would think these guys wouldn't deal, but they did the best.

Yeah, Honda is big. I remember when I got my CR-V I almost had a stroke when I saw a Civic with a $22k window sticker. It had dealer "extras" My "extras" were outrageous but the wife wanted them so I couldn't argue.

The ridgeline is nice, but I think Honda was a little too paranoid about making it look tough. It looks pretty odd. I'm sure it's a great truck, though.

So-have you decided what brand of oil you're going to put in it...?
grin.gif

Well, at least you did some shopping around. I guess this board is good for something? But, I'm here to tell you, Honda upped their warranty to 5/60 on power trains. Maybe an old website. They did this to match some of the other manufactures that offer the 100K/5 year plan. Talk to the sales guy or service manager. It's one of those things that they don't readily avertise. Funny, I wanted an Ody but the wife over ruled and said that there is no way she'll be driving a minivan,hence the Accord. But, I'm loving it. I get to drive it for a couple of years until her car get's too old. I'll take what I can get.

Schmoe earlier in this thread I wrote:

quote:

Sorry yeah Schmoe - you are correct - Honda standard powertrain warranty is 5 year, 60K

The website did a terrible job on the warranty. Plus we got the free 7 year, 100K mile
fruit.gif

And Schmoe - thanks to YOU I got almost the exact Okrahoma guy price!! ($26618) Totally unheard of in the PNW as most pay sticker or above. So I think we did good.

Congrats! We love our 04 Odyssey, except for the tranmission leak which took 3 trips to the stealership to repair under warranty in its first year of ownership. MA lemon law applies if you have 3 failed attempts to repair problems within the first year. The stealership probably went all out the 3rd time... I just hope it holds indefinitely! So far, so good.

Hondas may be better than most quality-wise, but it doesn't mean you'll have zero defects. Although our 02 Camry has come the closest!

bigpaulo's family car quality ratings
best to worst

1. 02 Toyota Camry, 4 banger auto-trans
2. 02 Subaru Impreza, flat 4 stick shift
4. 97 Dodge Shadow, 4 banger auto-trans
3. 04 Honday Odyssey (EX? it has leather), V6 auto-trans
5. 95 Saturn SW2, 4 banger stick shift

Go 97 Dodge Shadow!
smile.gif
Rest in fitful peace, 95 Saturn SW2!

Well done Pablo!

This thread gives me the creeps....the thought of dealing with dealerships.

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

It's the only bad thing about cars....stealerships and salesmen. (of course I'm sure there's good ones...I just haven't encountered them yet).

Just say a new Odyssey with manual side doors. After my daughter's problems, I think the manual doors would be a good choice if you own your Odyssey beyond the warranty. If you've had automatic doors, I think it would be easy to lean how to open them manually.

One suggestion (and I'm not bashing Hondas because I own two Accords and like them): Please check to make sure that Honda has fixed the problem with their automatic transmissions. The 5 speed autos linked to V-6s in 2003 and 2004 were failing due to a problem with insufficient oiling. Perhaps they rectified this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back