What's everyone's take on the 2023 Honda Accord?

I'd stay away
Not only because it is a first year vehicle, but because of the 1.5 and the CVT.
In addition, I'd pass because it looks like it was beaten severely by the ugly stick.
If I were buying right now, I'd go Camry.
Not because it is any less ugly, but because it is doesn't have a 1.5 turbo or a CVT.
This is from someone who has owned many Hondas, three of which were Accords.

I'd stay away
Not only because it is a first year vehicle, but because of the 1.5 and the CVT.
In addition, I'd pass because it looks like it was beaten severely by the ugly stick.
If I were buying right now, I'd go Camry.
Not because it is any less ugly, but because it is doesn't have a 1.5 turbo or a CVT.
This is from someone who has owned many Hondas, three of which were Accords.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of CVTs. My dad has it in the 13 Accord. It's been flawless as of now. That's because the fluids been changed 3 times (94k miles on it). Knowing my sister, I doubt she'd care to change the fluid. It's either a CPO accord with the 2.0T, a CPO/new Civic, or a Camry.

A bit off topic and just my opinion
I always expect way too much from HONDA and that's my fault. They caused me to have these expectations back in the late 80s when we bought our first Honda Accord and they improved upon them with each generation until ~2008(GFC). This is when I watched Honda slowly slipping. Toyota too!

Now I watch as other car companies climb up the ladder in terms of quality, reliability, design, fuel economy, driving enjoyment etc.
Years ago when we looked for car companies with the best reliability we would just look at Honda & Toyota as they seemed to go back & forth for who was on top. If you wanted something different, you bought Nissan, Mazda, Subaru etc., and still received decent reliability.

Even though Toyota still statistically comes out on top(most of the time) world wide in terms of reliability, IMO, this doesn't mean that other car makers are unreliable. YES, there is a least reliable but they're probably more reliable than the reliable brands back in the day.

Personally, IDK if you can really buy a bad vehicle. Sure you can get a bad example with less than expected reliability for that vehicle. But for the most part, you almost can't go wrong. The only caveat is picking the wrong vehicle for your needs.

I take exception when people tell me that for example: "Honda(or any car company) isn't as good as they used to be". That may have been true of the car industry in the 70s-80s. But, I tell these people that Honda's(as all vehicles) are better than ever in terms of build quality, power, fuel economy, reliability etc. I think that there are some features or opportunities that can be missing. But overall, vehicles are better than ever.

Here's a comparison even if it's a bad comparison
Say your favorite football team from Oh IDK, 35-40 years ago who were always in 1st place & in the playoffs and a Super Bowl or two over a decade. But today, that same football team has been near or in the basement for several years. These new generation teams could kick the $#!+ out of yesterdays 1st place team just because they're better educated & coached in the game, they're stronger, faster new(er) strategies etc. Almost every football(or any athlete, men & women) look like a body builders today compared to the past, they just looked like they were just in good shape...compared to most of us.

Same with baseball players. Very few players are under 6'2" and even fewer are 5'10" or less. And there are more & more players 6'4" or 5" and taller. Years ago, 5'10" was the norm and 6' was tall. And I'll catch #$LL for this but I don't thing that Babe, Joe or Mickey could have made the majors today! 🥱

Last edited:
Update: As of right now, I talked my sister into a 2019-2022 Accord. Man, these dealers are a pia to deal with and I sell cars. Some won't send a bill of sale. Others won't move on pricing even if the car is x over market value. I won't drive hours to look at a car if there is no price agreed to. This is why I feel like buying a new car is easier. Email a bunch of dealers near you and get an otd price. Then send it over to a couple of other ones. Whoever gives you the best deal, go there.

So, I'm helping my sister buy a car (she's getting married in August). She wants to get a car in June/July so I started researching. She really wants the new 2023 Honda Civic Sport sedan/2023 Honda Accord LX. So, I am asking dealerships in my area and Wisconsin for prices, etc, and asking for a bill of sale listing their best price and stuff.

I had a dealer not too far from me send me a bill of sale. The GM had the audacity to send me a bill of sale with a base Civic marked up $5k over sticker. I emailed him back and told him to shove that $5k up his back end. $5k over on a Civic is outrageous. Oversticker or even sticker is stupid on some new cars.

I mean, the dealer group I work for has a Honda dealer in the group (Honda City Chicago). I don't really want to ask them what kind of deal I can get from them yet. Rather see what kind of deals are out there before I hit Honda City Up. Honda pays dealers 2%~ on the holdback and stuff. Plus, bonus for units sold.

I got another quote on a base Accord. GM is giving me $2,200 off MSRP but adding a "protection package" and wheel locks I didn't ask for. So, I am back at $27,000~. Used Accord are going for roughly the price of a new one(maybe $1500 less). But, the used ones are a higher trim levels(Sport, EX, EX-L. Toruings are under $30k). Year ranging from 2019-2022. So far, the best deal I've gotten on a 2023 Honda Civic Sport Sedan is $500 off MSRP. The best deal I've gotten on a 2023 Honda Accord LX is $2,200 off Sticker. If the dealer takes off the protection package. Which, if I go in person, I am pretty sure they'll knock off. hat's a $100 difference between the Accord and the Civic

I don't really like buying the first gen of any car. Usually, there are bugs in the first gen that doesn't get taken care of until the 2nd or third model year.
Keep in mind that this isn't so much a new model as it is a light refresh of the outgoing generation.
The mechanical elements are carried over and for those who don't like CVTs the hybrids don't have them, or much in the way of a transmission at all.
My Gen 10 hybrid was similar in that while it was a new platform (stretched Civic) the mechanicals had been developed for and used in the Gen 9 hybrid, which was also true of the CVT used on the 1.5Ts.
Not much to fear here in terms of first model year unknowns.

Keep in mind that this isn't so much a new model as it is a light refresh of the outgoing generation.
The mechanical elements are carried over and for those who don't like CVTs the hybrids don't have them, or much in the way of a transmission at all.
My Gen 10 hybrid was similar in that while it was a new platform (stretched Civic) the mechanicals had been developed for and used in the Gen 9 hybrid, which was also true of the CVT used on the 1.5Ts.
Not much to fear here in terms of first model year unknowns.
2023 vs 2021 1.5T

Same bare short block so same size headstuds. Head gasket kit minor number change, may or may not be significant. Different cylinder head.

BLOCK ASSY., CYLINDER
Part Number: 11000-59B-010

GASKET KIT, CYLINDER HEAD
Part Number: 06110-6A0-A01
Part Number: 06110-6A0-A00

CYLINDER HEAD ASSY
Part Number: 12100-6NA-A00
Part Number: 12100-6A0-A00

hopefully increases reliability

IMO this is the worst the Accord has looked since the 1994 & 2003 model years. Between this completely anonymous design and the lack of a 2.0T, I don't see the value proposition anymore. Honda seems to have willingly arrived at the place Toyota has been trying to fight their way out of for several generations of the Camry.... Appliancetown. I used to live and breathe Honda and Acura. Now they've just blended into the wallpaper

Actually driving a 2023 ex right now.

I’ve never wanted a CVT ever, but it isn’t hateful actually. I also didn’t even realize it was in eco mode till this morning, so I’ll turn it off and see how much it wakes up. Averaging 35-36mpg the same way I drive my 2017 mazda 6 (get 33-34 in my 6). But I did idle the accord for a long time (45 min) the other night waiting for one of my daughters at dance class.

Being an ex it has 17” wheels and Michelins, so it handles noticeably sloppier than my mazda. But it’s got everything I’d want for a daily driver. Lack of rear seat AC vents is bothering my kids though, for that reason and leg room, they like my 6 better.

Reactions: hrv
The new Accord has a ton of legroom in the back. Are you saying your Mazda 6 has even more?

Or were you referring to front leg room?
Rear. I’m not sitting in the rear, but I max out my driver seat rearward (6’4”) and my daughter behind me said they have less legroom than in my 6.

I'm driving a '23 Accord Hybrid while wife's Pilot is in the shop. I had a '22 Accord Sport a month ago when CRV was in shop.

One big thing for me was that the '23 has a narrower center tunnel/console. Seat all the way back on both and not high. On the '22 my knee was resting/pushing on the hard plastic the whole time. It was also where I had surgery so was painful in the short time I had it. The '23 is a lot closer to my '17 Accord with the room there and first thing I noticed sitting in it after the '22.

Also the Hybrid has a 2.0L ICE and calls for 0W-20 oil. The transition from EV mode to gas is very smooth and quiet. Haven't tried the paddle shifters in it, but in sport mode it's pretty quick. Car is very quiet overall but only has 3500 miles on it. It also has 225-50-17 tires on it so some sidewall for better ride IMO. MPG for whoever had it before me showed over 45mpg average. The only thing that would take a bit for me to ignore or get used to is the Jetson's EV sound. My son said it was perfect intro for a foggy night, scary movie suspense part of someone getting killed intro. I'd miss the 3rd pedal in my '17 but as an overall replacement I could probably do it. I would need to drive one more as well as competition.

2023 Accord Hybrid
IMG_2728.jpg

2022 Accord Sport
accord knee.jpg

2017 Accord LX
accord knee 2.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

Back