Stellantis idling Belvidere Jeep Cherokee plant indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought there was another thread on this subject already. Anyway, I do not see this plant closure as a forever thing.

If Stellantis is going to want to capture EV market share in the U.S. then they are going to have build them here instead of using re-badged variants from Europe. IMHO they will not be able to compete using that strategy. Given the small arsenal of available plants to choose from here in the U.S., the Belvidere plant I think will have to come back on line in some capacity to complete that initiative.

Plant closing. I guess that's the end of the current Cherokee as well? Quite sad, that plant made a lot of cars over the years.
Our industry has been adversely affected by a multitude of factors like the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the global microchip shortage, but the most impactful challenge is the increasing cost related to the electrification of the automotive market, Stellantis spokeswoman Jodi Tinson said in a statement.

That's some first rate corporate BS. :rolleyes:

This one is kind of sad for me. Belvidere was one of the customers when I used to work as the lab supervisor in a seat belt plant. We had a good relationship with Belvidere.

That plant has been in unstable territory for awhile. Even the last time I went by there, it was obvious as only 25% of the storage lot was even being used. Probably just 1000 vehicles there. The North Central region of IL (Freeport, Rockford, Belvidere, and I'd even throw in Beloit) have really had a downturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back