Spark Plugs - is there a "Best" one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me throw an opinion in:
1. NGK
2. Denso
3. Anything other than Bosch, unless Bosch is OEM, since many on here have reported bad results with Bosch plugs in applications where they weren't OEM.
Personally, I installed Bosch plats in an '86 Civic years ago.
IIRC, they were fine wire plugs that were supposed to be the correct reach and heat range for the car. They were also on clearance at Kmart for ~.25 each. Yeah, there was a time when Kmart had a real automotive department.
Anyway, they overheated to the point that the insulator on the nose of one of the plugs disintegrated.
Maybe the Bosch applications guide was a little too broad as to what plug would work in what app?
The not especially powerful '86 Civic 1500 CVCC did call for a fairly cold plug.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
I disagree that the best is OE spec,
I also disagree on a plug brand being "the best"

Spark plugs are like oil, depends on your application.

My 4.0 WJ (and every body else's) only works good with any kind of life span with the cheap CHAMPION copper cores.

My ZJ 5.2 on the other hand works best with BOSCH platinum.
No,man.The oem spec plug is the best plug. Because in, your own words,it's known to "fit your application".

Well thats your opinion and thats fine,but the fact is
several years ago I drove a 98 grans-am GT for a while and replaced the plugs with OE AC-DELCO's and I lost performance, took them back to NAPA and got replacments saying they were fualty equip. the new ones acted the same way, I pulled them put in BOSCH plat. and they worked great, better MPG smoother idle quicker starts. So apparently the BP's were better for my application.
Originally Posted By: FZ1

My 4.0 WJ (and every body else's) only works good with any kind of life span with the cheap CHAMPION copper cores.

No,man.The oem spec plug is the best plug. Because in, your own words,it's known to "fit your application".

How do we determine which plug is the best though? The only way I can think of is by how long they last, but that's pretty hard to compare since the condition of the engine, the type of engine, the type of fuel used, driving habits and many other factors will contribute greatly to the life of a plug. So just because one person got 150k out of one set of plugs in his car doesn't mean you'll get 150k out of them in your car.

I'm running NGK Iridium-ix plugs in my Corvette and the new Champion Iridiums in my Civic. I'm hoping to get 100k out of the plugs in both cases. I've got 4 years and 48k on the Corvette's plugs right now, and the Civic's plugs were just changed on August 1st.

There is no "best spark plug" only the ones that work best in your application.
For the old 460 i would go with Motorcraft, they are guaranteed to be the correct heat range and will function properly with the rest of the ignition system.

49.gif

I'm running NGK V-power plugs in my '04 Subaru. My car doesn't spec platinum, so I decided to play it safe and stick with copper core plugs. Some motor's don't like platinum plugs.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I can't speak for Ford 460's, but for the small block Fords, plain cheap copper core Motorcraft or Autolite are best. The engines really don't like platinum plugs. Not saying it won't run, but the best performance for the engine type comes from a copper core plug with a wider gap from a hotter ignition coil.

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of platinum plugs, but in some applications they just don't work.

Weird, I've had no issues with platinum plugs in 302's......

There is no one plug.

Heat ranges, driving cycles, head designs.

I've used Bosch Platinums in Hondas with great success (certain engines - does not apply to all Hondas) and lousy results in a Ford 2.3.

Motorcraft or Autolite (who makes Motorcrafts for US/Canada) double plats work best in those. Strange, but true.

Karts - certain engines like Autolites, some NGKs.

Racing cars - depends on the engine. My old Ford 1.6L Formula Ford liked Champions best.

The " best one " is the one that install to your engine from factory.

if it stock car, every day drive, stick with what ever they install to your engine from factory, u can find the spark plug info and part # under your engine hood

All my car run best on what ever they install to my engine from factory. That wat I alway use and never let me down.

STAY AWAY FROM BOSCH !

Japenese NGK denso
Dodge champion/ optional their is no optional
Ford Motorcraft/ optional Ngk/autolight
Chevy Ac Delco/ optional Ngk/autolight
german car, what ever they use, no clue
grin.gif

I really like copper plug, it cheap and it burn the best. It will out performing the plaitum plug, just not last as long like the platium plug. Usually it go for 30k miles, platium can go 100K, but who ever think or leave their plug 100k would never own a car.

Last edited:
The CHEAPEST plug for the application will be from the factory!

Except for special limited production models, they will always choose what is cheap.

The only time they use a nice plug is when they're forced to.

A lot of cars come stock at least the japanese ones do with NGK's. They have a strong reputation behind them. Unlike cheap-o ones like Autolite that are only $0.50 less than the cheapest NGK plug.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The CHEAPEST plug for the application will be from the factory!

Except for special limited production models, they will always choose what is cheap.

The only time they use a nice plug is when they're forced to.

Not really nowadays, especially for Japanese cars, due to the emission compliance, many cars comes with exotic plug (Denso SIP) from sport sedan to minivan

Well thats your opinion and thats fine,but the fact is
several years ago I drove a 98 grans-am GT for a while and replaced the plugs with OE AC-DELCO's and I lost performance, took them back to NAPA and got replacments saying they were fualty equip. the new ones acted the same way, I pulled them put in BOSCH plat. and they worked great, better MPG smoother idle quicker starts. So apparently the BP's were better for my application.
Originally Posted By: FZ1

In that case try to find Denso Iridium power and gap according to your engine spec, then voila.. you will notice somthing different
smile.gif

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed the read
35.gif

One thing I didn't mention earlier - I use the "lead" additive from Redline cuz I've never had a valve job and replaced the valves/seats for unleaded fuel. So my plugs are not going to last as long.

Based on all the inputs:
1. I'll leave the brand new Autolite Platinums in 'till they need to be replaced - right now it's running great.
2. I'll probably replace them with NGK Iridium's that have the small little anode (is that what it's called?)

Later all!

Don't get all the Bosch hate around here. They work great on European cars, where most likely they were OEM to begin with.

Get an extended tip, if possible.
Actually, steel is a very good conductor, but will wear faster than the modern precious metal types. It flows better than platinum - less resistance. Iridium is better.
If this is a toy/plaything with only light miles every year, stick with steel and change/file/gap them more often..

The only spark plug I've had bad experiences with are the Bosch +4s and +2s.

I pretty much do not stray outside of Motorcraft, NGK, or Autolite. Consistently good spark plugs in every application I've used them in.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Don't get all the Bosch hate around here. They work great on European cars, where most likely they were OEM to begin with.

Not everyone drives a European car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back