Using Impact Sockets only for 3/8” and 1/2” dr

As the title states, is it sensible for a tech to only use impact sockets for the 3/8” and 1/2 dr sizes?

This was a recent discussion over on GJ:

I have found impact sockets from Sunex, Snap-On and Koken to be fairly thin-walled. I cannot remember a recent situation where I had to use a chrome socket due to an issue with the impact socket’s wall thickness. However, I do prefer the feel of chrome sockets (over impact) with manual ratchets.

As someone who is currently outfitting the essentials for a daily-use roll cart, I am very tempted to only keep impact sockets for the 3/8 and 1/2” dr sizes. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very rarely have I had clearance issues with the thicker walled "black" impact sockets. It always pays to have both types as we are not talking a lot of money.

When I was in the business I used almost exclusively 1/2" impact, and 3/8" chrome (all metric). That was working on European and Japanese cars of 1980-2005 vintage. And it was before 3/8 battery impact became so popular, but I frequently used my chrome 3/8 sockets on my air gun and only broke a couple of them.

If I was starting over today, I'd probably keep 3/8 impacts on the cart, along with 1/2 impact. Chrome could stay in the box unless needed.

Never had any use for 1/2 chrome sockets except a couple specific ones for clearance reasons (I have a 30mm 12 point that was for something VW, though I can't remember what).

No, I run into clearance issues enough that I have sets of both chrome, impact, deep, normal, and the super short Astro sockets.

sockets can't be compact enough at times, though if there's room I prefer deep sockets to save my knuckles from shaving. And weight matters if you have to work above your head for the whole day

Although I have a set of 3/8" impacts, I tend to not use them. It could be something as simple as not being able to read the size as well, or being "unfamiliar" such that I grab a chrome I can spot from a yard away and have it be the right size.

For 1/2" I use almost exclusively impacts though I have some chrome 12-pointers that get a little use. This with a 2-foot long flex head ratchet, breaker bar, or impact.

How far will your cart be from your main storage? I suspect a matter of not many feet. Thus the need to sneakernet the right tool isn’t a huge issue.

I don’t have any issue using impact sockets for manual wrenching, and I have. Sometimes they do get a bit sloppy.

If you were to go with impacts for some size groups, I’d personally go all proto. They’re high quality with a better in hand feel than other smooth impact sockets. The textured finish is really nice.

I’d probably propose the following:

Use 1/4” as your primary underhood wrenching tools. I would recommend the snap on 1/4” semi-deep, and an extra long and short handle ratchet. When access is an issue, can’t beat 1/4” and getting them up to 15mm means you can do most things.

Your call on 3/8. Id say use what you’ve got. Do you find yourself using 3/8 impact a lot? Then there’s the answer. Get some 3/8. I have sk semi deep that are pretty useful. But again, I prefer the proto in hand feel of their impacts.

I don’t see a good reason to have anything but impacts in the 1/2” drive side. If you’re doing something really sensitive and need the tightest, best socket, walk over and grab the nice 1/2” chrome socket from your other box. But having 1/2” for that will facilitate all the big stuff that needs impact to get off.

Remember that you’re filling a cart that has stuff you’ll grab for convenience. I’m still assuming you have both and other wrenches somewhere to access just a few more steps away.

Last edited:
Then only time you'll run into an issue is if you have need a sockets too big for a 1/4" but the 3/8 impacts aren't compact enough. Which I could see happening quite often actually. I need more compact way more than I need more impact. But I have a mix of both.

Since I bought the small 3/8 impact I use the 3/8 long and short impact sockets and 1/4 chrome mostly for under the hood, I use chrome and impact torx and e torx on many cars. 1/2 use are mostly short impact and long when needed but they get beat up pretty bad, if I am going to use a ratchet I use chrome. I have everything in chrome and impact so I use what I need.

Back