Since Amsoil is so good, why doesn't every1 use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: resslera
I have tried in the past to buy Amsoil. The one time I called a dealer to buy some motorcycle oil they tried on the phone to get me to sell Amsoil. That deterred me so I use mobil1 in my bike and its cheaper.

About a month ago I was at the gas station. My car was ticking because it is an Isuzu with a SOHC 3.2L that is inherant to this problem (sticky valve-lash adjusters). Usually Mobil1 ow30 clears it quick though. Had a guy walk up and ask me to pop the hood so he could find out where the ticking is coming from. I politely said "no thanks, well aware of the ticking and what the cause is". He then proceeds to give me his business card "Amsoil" and tells me he has something that will cure that instantly. I tell him no thanks and he then begins to tell me how I can sell Amsoil. At that point I merely smiled, said no thanks and got in my car. He was still talking as I started my car to go.

Maybe it is the greatest oil in the world but that is strike 2. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are working just fine for me.

your two strikes are simply lack of understanding honest buisness practice.
you said you tried to buy Amsoil. NO you didnt!
Mobil1 only 1 best blend oil is good up too 15,000 miles and royal purple is good for 12,000 miles as advertised by the companies.
how is mutiple oil changes with M1 and RP cheaper than Amsoil?
RP cost more than Amsoil and M1
and by looking at all the M1 and Amsoil UOA I will stick with Amsoil cause it is better not cause I was deterred...
35.gif

Yes I did try to buy amsoil. I was ready to put it in my bikes. I called a dealer so I could find out where they were located. Mom AND Pop were on the phone telling me how great it was and started asking about me selling it. Deterred me from going to their business to buy it.

Read you loud and clear on what you are saying and not arguing. I too am guilty of also liking the convenience of going down the street to buy my oil. Yes, I am a little caught off guard by honest business practice and that is probably all it was. Not writing it off, still am curious about the product and may one day go down that road when it is covenient, and cost effective.

Originally Posted By: Forest
Somebody said this is a dumb thread???.......They're right.

x100

The moderators here,let topics get too far out of hand,the result ends up being filled with unrelated information then was originally asked for.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: resslera
I have tried in the past to buy Amsoil. The one time I called a dealer to buy some motorcycle oil they tried on the phone to get me to sell Amsoil. That deterred me so I use mobil1 in my bike and its cheaper.

About a month ago I was at the gas station. My car was ticking because it is an Isuzu with a SOHC 3.2L that is inherant to this problem (sticky valve-lash adjusters). Usually Mobil1 ow30 clears it quick though. Had a guy walk up and ask me to pop the hood so he could find out where the ticking is coming from. I politely said "no thanks, well aware of the ticking and what the cause is". He then proceeds to give me his business card "Amsoil" and tells me he has something that will cure that instantly. I tell him no thanks and he then begins to tell me how I can sell Amsoil. At that point I merely smiled, said no thanks and got in my car. He was still talking as I started my car to go.

Maybe it is the greatest oil in the world but that is strike 2. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are working just fine for me.

your two strikes are simply lack of understanding honest buisness practice.
you said you tried to buy Amsoil. NO you didnt!
Mobil1 only 1 best blend oil is good up too 15,000 miles and royal purple is good for 12,000 miles as advertised by the companies.
how is mutiple oil changes with M1 and RP cheaper than Amsoil?
RP cost more than Amsoil and M1
and by looking at all the M1 and Amsoil UOA I will stick with Amsoil cause it is better not cause I was deterred...
35.gif

M 1 might make 25,000 miles just as easily as Amsoil might not make 25,000 miles.

you are reading and posting!!!

Originally Posted By: DragRace

x100

The moderators here,let topics get too far out of hand,the result ends up being filled with unrelated information then was originally asked for.
You are reading and posting!!!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, if nothing else, this thread proves that there are no sacred cows here on BITOG. I've kinda left Pablo here taking everything on the chin (shamefully)..but the bashing has been free flowing ...like a good synthetic.
In -35*F temps.

Thank you Pablo. That makes a lot of sense. I for one, can't dismiss the fact that Amsoil wrote the book on synthetic oil, and it continues to thrive on word of mouth alone for the most part. These things alone speak very loudly. I may not try an annual OCI on my 3.0, but I still intend to try Amsoil, along with one of your EAO filters. It sure can't hurt, and my engine is worth it.

Most people who have never used Amsoil have opinions based on just that, opinions. I think the majority of people would agree that Amsoil makes a good product, and if it weren't for the MLM, a lot more people would use it. I myself am using Amsoil, and have the SSO and ATF installed right now. I will be getting more products as needed. I don't like that I have to pay preferred customer charge, but that is the way it is. If I have to do that to get a good product, then that is fine. I believe the product is overpriced if you aren't a preferred customer. I also think that if Amsoil wasn't a boutique oil, you would pay less for it, but they would also have to dumb down to formulas to cut costs.

I will probably never use anything but Amsoil from now on even though I don't like the preferred customer deal.

I also have an Amsoil wharehouse about 10 minutes from my house, can't go wrong there. Not much different than going to NAPA, AAP, or AZ.

Also, if you go to any of those stores, you will see a very very large price increase in the last year. Amsoils prices have stayed pretty much the same, and I like that as well. Most GIII syns are getting pretty close to Amsoil prices for the regular price even though most of us BITOGer's will never pay regular price. But, I noticed at AZ that M1 EP is over $7...maybe $7.19 or something like that and regular M1 is $6.99 I believe. That is really really close to Amsoil prices.

For any of the Amsoil bashers. How about using the product and then make comments, or don't use Amsoil and shut up.

Last edited:
"but they would also have to dumb down to formulas to cut costs."

Not necessarily.
By reducing the 'nitch' products, you'd increase production runs, reduce inventories, streamline ingredient stockpiles, etc., etc...
It might reduce the profit margin a bit as well, but the increase in sales volume would off set that.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
.....or something like that and regular M1 is $6.99 I believe. That is really really close to Amsoil prices.

For any of the Amsoil bashers. How about using the product and then make comments, or don't use Amsoil and shut up.

I buy Mobil 1 for a bit over $4.30 per quart. Sorry... Did you read my posting about why I do not use AMSOIL in the above thread?? I guess I don't really have to "shut up", as my opinion of why I avoid AMSOIL products is as valid as yours for using it. To each your own, but please don't tell me to "shut up", it usually has the opposite effect.

True.

For the discerning BITOGr Amsoil is like a fine steak (and perhaps a fine cigar). A steak that is the pursuit of culinary perfection. Where the chefs are have pursued excellence with a disdain for cost cutting shortcuts. An uncompromised pursuit of the ideal. The thing I like about Amsoil is I believe they pull out all the stops in their pursuit of perfection.

That being said, my own judicious palate has led me to a different chef and a different trim of meat -

Schaeffer and their 9000 line.

Well, have we figured out why Al Amatusio has not saved us all from using panther pi$$? I'll bet that if we could get Pablo to stop riding bicycles and participate in more BITOG threads we could get more people on board with Amsoil.

If Mobil 1 is so good, why doesn't everyone use it?

Oh wait, they do! Great marketing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back