VR1 conventional. Good as synthetic?

Around 3:10 minute mark, LSJ mentions that this lube "doesn't belong in any daily driver, any type of direct injection engine ..." and yet seconds later he then states the lube additive package has "changed because of the API SP and making the oils compatible with direct injection engines ..."

Further, I'll note that VR1 isn't even licensed for API SP; I don't know where he gets off even mentioning SP:
These VR1 oils are all only licensed to SN and lower.

So if the point of VR1 isn't about using it in a DD or any DI engine, then why even bring up the compliance and compatibility of VR1 with SP?

To be fair, he does mention that generally this oil is for racing engines; OK, fine.
But it's just plain silly IMO to be mentioning DI engines and API SP as if those were significant criteria in this formulation. So why does he keep mentioning it?

The Valvoline product sheet even states this: "VR1 .... is not recommended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters ..."

So VR1 is basically a racing pedigree oil, and it's not intended for modern street vehicles. And yet he claims that the add pack was updated for SP concerns, even though it's actually only SN licensed ...

The more I watch his videos, the more I realize he just talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's educated and seems reasonably smart, but his YT content is just junk and doesn't fare well when you really dig into his statements. He's the more polished version of PF ... just another clickbait channel.
He cross posts on 3 different channels peddling his wares. Not going to publicize any further, but agree on all points. He is essentially a salesman in sheep clothing.

I'll have to tell my cam guy to stop sending me break-in lube with a new cam and tappets. Man They must be stupid.

Zinc blended at the refinery? Wow, I never stop learning stuff here.
Got me there, my bad.

Is motor oil blended at the refinery? 🤯
Sometimes …

IMG_2126.jpg

Break-in oil and other oils with zinc blended with the oil during production is not the same as a separate zinc additive. Smart ass.

Got me there, my bad.
What additive?

What's the issue? ZDP and some Ca sulfonate EP surface competition? Too much FM in ILSAC lubes? ZDP plays well with other in the playground.

Would prefer a blend of warmed quality ND SAE 30 SA and 10W30 Farm and Fleet with the BIL to knock the FM % down. but latest cars have been near stock rebuilds w/moly rings and just grab "whatever" near current or current 10W30 stocked in the shop. It's outta there after a couple hours runtime.

Complete your thought, what are you trying to say? Specific products to avoid and why?

I don't know who you are or what your experience level is.

Last edited:
Back