Shop Air Compressor Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogwood1300

The other is that not sure where to get the filter replacement if you ever want to replace.

I found a US made screw-in air filter with replacable media at Grainger. Works great.

Not sure how "standard" the intake port is, but I didnt have an issue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dogwood1300

The other is that not sure where to get the filter replacement if you ever want to replace.

I found a US made screw-in air filter with replacable media at Grainger. Works great.

Not sure how "standard" the intake port is, but I didnt have an issue.

Have a link or part number for that? Thanks

It was made by Solberg. The compressor inlets are NPT thread, so you just need to figure out the thread size.

Great suggestion! Didn't know such an animal existed: small, oil, big-bore, Makita. My 12 yr. old pawn-shop CH hot-dog squeals like crazy sometime so it may go Tango Uniform soon. The Makita would be a great replacement.

I have one of those 39$ models I needed oilless for a maintenance job that came up out of town and had to snag one.

I'm expecting it to die soon and will get a better one.

Its fine for tires but pitifully slow.

sears has one for about 79$ thats 3-4x faster.

I'd avoid any of the evol cheapies as thats similar to what I have now (.4cfm@90psi?)

The main problem with mostcheapo oilless compressors is they burn up fairly quickly if used which a high duty cycle.

if its just for tires sears also has a tankless that has decent spec for under 50$ when on sale.

Last edited:
I have a 4 gallon 125 PSI craftsman pancake compressor I picked up a few years back. Hadn't used it much since the past 2 weeks when I realized one of our car's tires was very low. I couldn't believe how stiff the PVC hose was in the cold so I ended up picking up a rubber hose, what a difference!

It was then that I discovered the bins of fittings especially the quick connect couplers. I picked up an inflator gauge tool to use so I don't have to switch back and forth between a the gauge and inflator. I'm also looking into an air gun to clean up the mower, etc. Now all my tools are on quick connect fittings.

I have a feeling I'll eventually move up to a 30 Gal but for now this one has been fine.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I have one of those 39$ models I needed oilless for a maintenance job that came up out of town and had to snag one.

I'm expecting it to die soon and will get a better one.

I have a bunch of Thomas oilless compressors for some sensitive analytical equipment.

They are designed for 100% duty cycle without oil, and are US made. High quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back