Shop Air Compressor Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a smallish air compressor for general garage/shop duty, mostly filling tires. I'm not planning to run air tools. Ideally the unit would be portable and about the size and stance of a cooler.

My preference would be to get a used one with a reputable name (in other words, not Harbor Fright). What should I be looking for? Porter Cable? Campbell Hausfeld?

Any other specs I should be looking for particularly? For instance, belt-drive, duty cycle, serviceable compressor, etc.?

Thanks for any input.

Filling up car tires is as low duty as you can get - I mean a hand pump would work. If you get a decent one, you will probably find yourself using it more and more. I like to blow my mower off before I put it away for example.

I bought an American made Jenny air compressor a couple years ago for installing some hardwood flooring in the house. It has been working great for medium duty jobs since I got it. My only complaint is that the maintenance kits for it is a little expensive.

Thanks guys. The Makita looks like a nice unit. Where did you purchase the Jenny compressor?

I got a makita many years ago and love it. I'd love to have a Chicago pneumatic belt drive, but just don't need it. The low speed, big bore makita works great.

Not sure if an oiled compressor is a consideration for tires.

You can find some nice pancake conpressors that would fit your desired usage at stored such as Home Depot or Lowes. They are on sale fairly often and are not too pricey. Good luck

I know you said not HF, but they have one on sale for $39, that should meet your needs. True its not a IR, but for $39 I'd give it a try. I actually have a HF compressor (not that one) and its a decent compressor. Light enough to carry places. I do have a much larger one if I really need a large amount of air.

If I wanted a name brand, I would buy one from Northern. Get a brand whose main business is air compressors, like IR.

Might want to check out the pawn shops in your area. Where I'm at pancake compressors are always available at a good price.

Bigger, more expensive air compressors give you more flow and have bigger reserve tanks for painting and power tools. For just tire service, I'd get a small compressor and an aluminum portable tank. Keep the tank charged up and you'll have plenty of air for tire maintenance.

Thoughts about the Senco brand? I like the fact that this one has a little more tank volume than the Makita.

I also have two Thomas oil-free small compressors, just single tank. They are actually rated for a high duty cycle and last a very long time. I'm not sure they are us made anymore.

Originally Posted By: Rand
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAC700-Big-...=air+compressor

for 199$ not too bad.

If you monitor the price, it may go down to $175 from time to time Mazon price monitoring
It is actually very good, can even handle impact wrench (to take of lug nuts)

One thing is that it's heavy.
The other is that not sure where to get the filter replacement if you ever want to replace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Thoughts about the Senco brand? I like the fact that this one has a little more tank volume than the Makita.

Senco is big into air nailers and staplers. They were used two shifts a day at a place I worked at in the summers in the mid 1970s. They took a beating. The place probably had 20 of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JZiggy
I'm looking to get a smallish air compressor for general garage/shop duty, mostly filling tires. I'm not planning to run air tools. Ideally the unit would be portable and about the size and stance of a cooler.

My preference would be to get a used one with a reputable name (in other words, not Harbor Fright). What should I be looking for? Porter Cable? Campbell Hausfeld?

Any other specs I should be looking for particularly? For instance, belt-drive, duty cycle, serviceable compressor, etc.?

Thanks for any input.

I have a porter cable pancake compressor that I've owned for about 9 years with no problems. I've installed bamboo flooring with it and done lots of trim work and builing of stuff with an 18 gauge nailer as well. It does a good job to inflate tires. It's noisy but maintenance free. At Home depot now they sell it with the nailers for usually under $200. I bought a used 27 gallon compressor for cheap ($80) to run air tools to work on my vehicles since the pancake doesn't cut it.

Rigid or Dewalt makes a heavy duty compressor which you might be able to pick up cheap online at Craigslist or Kijiji.

Regards, JC.

I have a Portor Cable pancake comerical compressor that has a 3 gallon tank. The 3 gallon tank is good if you ever want to use an air tool. The compressor runs to 150 PSIG and was bought a HD or Lowes' for ~ $217

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I also have two Thomas oil-free small compressors, just single tank. They are actually rated for a high duty cycle and last a very long time. I'm not sure they are us made anymore.

Thomas makes really good stuff.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Might want to check out the pawn shops in your area. Where I'm at pancake compressors are always available at a good price.

Only problem with pawn shops is you don't really know what you're getting. Of course that applies any time you buy something that's used. That being said, I've found great deals on lots of stuff at pawn shops, including my air compressor.

Mine is a CH 30 gallon, 6.25 HP. I wasn't really looking for one this big, but when I saw it at the pawn shop for $75 I wasn't going home without it. Glad I got the bigger one now, as it runs air tools much better than a smaller one would.

(This isn't mine, just a pic of the same model I found on Google)

6467_37.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back