Help me choose between 2 air compressors

Hi. I'm looking for a bigger air compressor to run my tire maching better. I narrowed it down to 2 on Facebook marketplace.

1st one Campbell hausfld 20 gallon $150
2nd one is a craftsman 25 gallon. $200

Both are belt driven, look in great shape and have close to the same cfm.
I'm leaning towards the Campbell but I have read good things about the old craftsman compressors.

I'm pretty sure belt driven means they are oil instead of oiless. I'm pretty sure they're both bade in the USA.

Thanks everyone

I have an old 25 gallon oiless compressor and it did pretty good with my particular machine. I'm pretty sure I can rebuild it and put it back into service. It's just so dang noisy.

Yes they're both horizontal tanks. The vertical ones are nicer but I can shove it order a workbench or leave it outside.

Hi. I'm looking for a bigger air compressor to run my tire maching better. I narrowed it down to 2 on Facebook marketplace.

I'm leaning towards the Campbell but I have read good things about the old craftsman compressors.

I'm pretty sure belt driven means they are oil instead of oiless. I'm pretty sure they're both bade in the USA.

Thanks everyone
Without year of mfg and model of each, and either pictures or mfg of motor and pump, impossible to answer this question. The more recent production of both brands is awful. The older stuff was good, might be lower-end or mid-market models though, and might be lightly used or worn out.

You can ask how high a pressure each can achieve, how long it takes to get there, and how long it will hold it (without use) before cycling on again.

Thanks everyone
Do you have the space to go bigger or will you be moving this around? I upgraded from 25 gallon to a 60 gallon 240v. No regrets here.

Without seeing the condition of the compressor and to make sure it was maintained, it would be hard to give you an honest opinion.

The 25 gallon coleman I had the PO never drained the tank. When I got it home, i removed the seized petcock and watched as a couple of liters of rusty water that looked like gravy poured out. I installed a ball valve and spent half a day getting all the old rusty water out. Never had an issue with the compressor. Sold it when I bought the 60 gallon one.

I have an old 25 gallon oiless compressor and it did pretty good with my particular machine. I'm pretty sure I can rebuild it and put it back into service. It's just so dang noisy.

Yes they're both horizontal tanks. The vertical ones are nicer but I can shove it order a workbench or leave it outside.
Depending on available room, you could make a small enclosure around the compressor and put some acoustic foam on the inside to dampen the high frequencies. You’d obviously have a couple holes for the air line and electric, but it should make the overall experience much more pleasant.

@MrTruckDriver what is the intended use? I have a ~40 Gallon vertical 2 stage. It is nice for sound over a single stage, but many times I wish I had a bigger tank especially if I want to spray paint or do heavy air tool maintenance. IMO, bigger is usually better...

Just my $0.02

Thanks everyone. I was surprised to see those compressors for that price. I assumed they were better then they probably are.
I have a 10 year old 5 gallon craftsman that is my go to for just about everything.

I know with compressors it's usually best to buy one a size bigger. My drawback is I only have 110 volt power to run everything.

I'm currently planning to buy a new piston and sleeve for my oiless one. It looks pretty easy to change out. I only use it for my tire machine and it lives outside.

It's a craftsman with a GE motor built in 1992 by the way.

Back