Shipping oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some oil I am selling to a person over the internet. Is this stuff going to be a nightmare to ship? I hadn't even considered it when I put it up for sale. Will it cost me an arm and a leg to ship it since this is oil and not a birthday present?

These are unopened containers of Redline 5W20.

I've never had problems with shipping oil. Well, I never shipped any but the sender didn't have any problems. Amsoil also ships oil, I don't think they do anything special. As long as it's sealed and won't leak.

The post office always gives me a hard time and I have to end up arguing with them and talking to their manager before I can finally send any type of liquid through the mail, be it motor oil, engine flush, etc. So what I do, is I take it to the pay yourself machine and put it into the drop box, that way I don't have to hassle with the uninformed counter help.

Just out of curiousity does anyone have some documentation I could show to the shipper so they know this is OK? I'm shipping this from work and just want to be ready in case they ask me to prove this is OK and not going to get them in trouble. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Riptide
Ah so it is non hazmat? That makes things much simpler then.

As salesrep says, get a copy of the MSDS. In the Transport Information section, it will state something like this:

"The description shown may not apply to all shipping situations. Consult 49CFR.............for additional description requirements.............and mode-specific or quantity-specific shipping requirements.

DOT Shipping Description: PETROLEUM LUBRICATING OIL, NOT REGULATED AS A HAZARDOUS
MATERIAL FOR TRANSPORTATION UNDER 49 CFR
Additional Information:NOT HAZARDOUS BY U.S. DOT. ADR/RID HAZARD CLASS NOT
APPLICABLE. "

Just a suggestion: place all qt containers inside a platic garbage bag and seal good, prior to putting inside box, as an extra protection for leakage.

FWIW - I shipped some oil via USPS to a fellow BITOGer a couple of years ago. I didn't take any special precautions in packaging it, and apparently one of the bottles leaked. The package finally arrived MANY weeks later, in a different box than what I used for shipping.

Lastly, I sweet-talked the lady at the counter into letting me ship the oil via parcel post. I even told her it was motor oil, and she still let me have the el cheapo rate. She couldn't resist the charm of wavinwayne.

My post office never gives me a hard time about shipping oil in the mail.

You are going to get killed on weight though.

Yeah it cost me $21 to ship the 12 quarts out. 4 individual quarts and 2 4 quart jugs. Could've been worse I suppose. Hopefully it gets there without leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back