Service facility banished my Dex-cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the system flushed and tech replaced my Dex-cool with universal (yellow) coolant. 03 Impala 3.8 Should they have asked first or did they do me a favor??

What "universal" coolant is it? I don't generally like "universal" anything, but some of them are better than others.

Universal=Prestone? As long as they flushed it 100% clean you will be fine. Just find out what it is so you can top off with the same thing when necessary.

Last edited:
I believe the 2-EHa is the plastic eater in Dexcool and some other brands sold. I flushed Dexcool out of my GM vehicles as soon as I drove them home from the lot.

The new prestone and supertech coolant is universal, it is yellow in color.

I have been using it for a few years in two previous orange dexcool applications with no problems.

Don't sweat it.

I'm glad the stuff is being recycled, hate to think of the stuff going into the water supply. We already have the most polluted rivers in the U.S.

If I'm reading that spec sheet correctly that's a G-05 'hybrid' coolant. It's also possible that it's a 2-EHA coolant that contains silicates for aluminum....in other words a Dexcool-hybrid. I wouldn't worry too much as your GM calls for Dexcool and if it's a true G-05 that's even better.

Actually, it's the glycol that is recycled and reused to make new anti-freeze....

Last edited:
yeah, I wouldnt be worried about recycled glycol at all. It is not like a motor oil where there can be significant oxidation, burning and other byproducts. If the glycol is properly distilled, and the additives are all removed, then re-applied, it is more or less a virgin product.

You can shoot chromatograms to determine if there is other junk in there, and so QC is fairly easy...

I understand that the company is owned by Siemens and they recycle over 2 million gallons of glycol per year so the product likely finds its way into other brands of coolant as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back