Seafoam works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled up my WRX at my local Hess. It's not the best gas, but it's either Hess, Sheetz, or wait forever at the crowded Exxon.

I headed down the interstate - I was going my usual 75 mph, and came to slight grade that really poses no challenge to my car what so ever. As I started to climb the grade the car started to stumble and jerk slightly and I could barely maintain 65 mph. It was like the difference between a turbocharged 4-cylinder and a [censored] 3-cylinder.

No check engine light, no nothing - just terrible performance. I pull over, check fluids, make sure I don't have a ton of blowby happening - all checks out OK.

Hmmm. I started to suspect bad gas. I'm only ~70 miles from home at this point.

I used my iPhone to find an Advance Auto Parts and stopped in - the guys behind the counter said that if I suspected bad gas I should try seafoam and toss in a bit of lucas octane booster just to be safe (since this car is turbocharged and requires premium).

Tossed in the Seafoam and Lucas and the problem was solved.

I had always wondered if Seafoam was everything that everyone talks it up to be, but this has made me a real believer and it's definitely going in my boxes of emergency supplies that I keep in the trunks of my cars.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone.

How many miles before you saw results? I can usually go about 20-30 miles before feeling the effects of an additive tossed into the tank.

Sounds like a case of stale gas, and the Seafoam helped make it a little more combustible.

Next time: Wait in line.
smile.gif

It's also not bad Idea to add it 3 way ones a year, before next oil change: 1/3 to gas, 1/3 to oil rest thru brake booster vacuum hose.Drive around till white smoke clouds are gone(usually 10-15 min), then drain.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
It's also not bad Idea to add it 3 way ones a year, before next oil change: 1/3 to gas, 1/3 to oil rest thru brake booster vacuum hose.Drive around till white smoke clouds are gone(usually 10-15 min), then drain.

Maybe to gas.

Definitely no to oil.

No to vacuum line.
//

What's the octane of Seafoam, I wonder? How many points of octane was the Lucas supposed to add?

Originally Posted By: JRed
It took about five miles of interstate driving.

JRed,

Last week you were runnin HC-W3...

This week yer runnin Lucas, and Seafoam.

What gives?

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Maybe to gas.

Definitely no to oil.

No to vacuum line.
//

Why not? Have you try it?
I've tried, and not ones, so far it worked for me.

Maybe to gas.

Definitely no to oil.

No to vacuum line.
//

Why not? Have you try it?
I've tried, and not ones, so far it worked for me.

I've been lucky (and picky) enough not to need to. Even on 10+ year old cars, oil seems to work just fine on its own. Even on a sludged up motor, I'd run oil and oil only.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
It took about five miles of interstate driving.

JRed,

Last week you were runnin HC-W3...

This week yer runnin Lucas, and Seafoam.

What gives?

Thanks, Jim

I'm running TC-W3 in my Mirage. This was in my WRX. The WRX doesn't get any additives of any kind aside from techron when I feel like it.

I'm running TC-W3 in my Mirage. This was in my WRX. The WRX doesn't get any additives of any kind aside from techron when I feel like it.

I would think with the Subi Engine that a top quality TC-W3 would be of a great benefit.

I also think that had you been running TC-W3, that you may have been able to push through the Bad Gas...

Just my opinion, Jim

I've been worried about running TC-W3 in a turbocharged engine that requires 91 octane. I suppose running 1oz/5gal can't really hurt anything any more than running an entire can of Seafoam and half a bottle of Lucas octane boost on top of bad gas.

I'll give the Mirage a few more tanks of the stuff and see how it likes it. If everything checks out OK I might start putting it in the WRX. I had wondered if it would've made a difference with the bad gas. Hopefully I never need to find out.

Last edited:
i have used alot of seafoam! its a good product no doubt. before i did the dreaded spark plug change on my 5.4 i ran it threw the vacuum line 2 or 3 times, ran it in the tank a few times (along with techron and gumout regaine) and when it came time to pull the plugs not one broke. carbon build up on the plugs was minimal. not a bad idea to smoke out the block once a year and its a pretty good injector cleaner!

I've been worried about running TC-W3 in a turbocharged engine that requires 91 octane. I suppose running 1oz/5gal can't really hurt anything any more than running an entire can of Seafoam and half a bottle of Lucas octane boost on top of bad gas.

I'll give the Mirage a few more tanks of the stuff and see how it likes it. If everything checks out OK I might start putting it in the WRX. I had wondered if it would've made a difference with the bad gas. Hopefully I never need to find out.

I'm on my third tank with ~ 5oz. of Redline SI-1 added per tank. I usually fill up when the low fuel light comes on, so hopefully that'll keep the concentration pretty consistent. A variation of a few dozen ppm won't matter much, I don't think.

Anyway, I don't think that adding such a small dose of additive will lower the octane much, if at all. I've got a full case of Redline to go through. I'm hoping I'll notice some difference, but I won't hold my breath. One thing I HAVE noticed after a few runs, though, is that my exhaust tips are now spotless
28.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Well, I used 1oz/5gal of TC-W3 in the Z4 which requires 91 for two years.

Didn't hurt at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Well, I used 1oz/5gal of TC-W3 in the Z4 which requires 91 for two years.

Didn't hurt at all.

I data log with the SI-1 and haven't noticed any knock at all. I'm running an off-the-shelf map designed for 93 octane, and it doesn't seem to notice the SI-1 at all. We'll see if mileage improves, but I'm guessing not. If nothing else, maybe it'll keep things a little cleaner. Or, maybe I'll just finish this case and forget to order the next when I run out...it may not matter, really.

Last edited:
I don't see it having any effect on octane. Putting a gallon or two, maybe more, in the tank? I'd say yes.

But at the ratio you use, I don't see how it could.

But keeping things clean, yep.

I'm on my third tank with ~ 5oz. of Redline SI-1 added per tank. I usually fill up when the low fuel light comes on, so hopefully that'll keep the concentration pretty consistent. A variation of a few dozen ppm won't matter much, I don't think.

Guess I'll give it a shot then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back