San Joaquin Valley, Agriculture, Water, and California

Well, you are driving through farmland and obviously they want to do everything they can to steer votes. They are not wrong but that's not the point. I'm sure if you drive through river deltas or park in front of a white water rafting company you will see the EXACT OPPOSITE signs there as weood or recreation

When I was younger and going to grade school we watched Interstate 5 being built behind the school. For years the giant earthmovers were at work removing a hill of homes and finally putting in the freeway.

We made several trips to Portland from Tacoma to visit relatives. That trip took a long time as the old US99 went through every town along the way. It was definitely one of those “are we there yet” trips. Now that same trip takes a couple of hours on a good traffic day. We can head down in the morning, shop and have lunch and be back by supper time if traffic is okay.
For a while I drove truck between the SF bay area and Los Angles and San Diego area . Back then certain freight companies would have semis that we would cruise I 5 at 75 to 80 mph to make some time.

Last edited:
The Central Valley of California is not and never was a desert. The southern end was home to the second largest fresh water lake until the last century (Tulare Lake) and the northern end is a huge Delta. Politics and population growth in other areas of California have undone efforts to continually provide surface water. The water in Central California is provided as snow in the Sierra Nevada but more infrastructure to manage it hasn’t been built in decades. Read the history of California aqua duct, Owens valley, Hetch Hetchy. Read about Delta Smelt and the Delta pumps and how much water is released to flow into the ocean instead of serving our population.

The Central Valley is home to some of the most fertile soil on earth and the climate to grow almost anything. That’s why it’s grown there.
I highly recommend you watch “My Job Depends on Ag” from Valley PBS.
Most people aren't so infiormed. They love to eat yet hate the farmers because their Tv tells them so.

Full capacity. Filled with desirable stores and restaurants. I was blown away how nice everything was. I know Fresno/ Bakersfield have issues, but overall, I was super impressed of the Valley, and have been every time I have worked in the valley. If you like fresh produce, working on cars for fun, and not congested- the Valley looks like a great spot. I guess if one wants a hard copy of the NYT or Washington Post on Sunday morning, maybe they better match in Silicon Valley. But if you enjoy open areas, dry air, and great weather in the morning and the evening- the Valley is hard to beat IMO in my limited observation.
Silicon valley and the east bay were wonderful before the silicon part destroyed it.

Too many people in the bay area.
This will make you cry, wpod. Santa Clara Valley and the orchards at blossom time. My family moved into the Los Gatos area in 1958 (when it was kind of podunk) and we were surrounded by orchards. My grandparents thought my parents had lost their minds by moving to the "country" like that. For 10 years we had no back fence and had an apricot orchard behind us. We played war with our toy guns and shot each other out of trees. It was AWESOME! And for those familiar with the area, the poor people lived in what is now called Monte Sereno. Poultry farms and shanty shacks everywhere. Mind blowing...

Scott

Santa Clara Valley orchard blossoms.jpg

Last edited:
Back