San Joaquin Valley, Agriculture, Water, and California

"Using fewer than 1% of U.S. farmland, the Central Valley supplies 8% of U.S. agricultural output (by value) and produces 1/4 of the Nation's food, including 40% of the Nation's fruits, nuts, and other table foods. " https://ca.water.usgs.gov/projects/central-valley/about-central-valley.html

When the great earth quake hits ;) (or whatever) , all of our eggs in one basket are going to break. We absolutely don't learn from history.
Hetch Hetchy is currently doing an earth quake retrofit, which is how I am paying like $7/CCF of water today and about $70 / mo on water for a family of 4. I'm probably one of the most efficient water user I know of other than my parents (saving water in bucket to flush toilet whenever possible).

Yeah we spend a lot of money but most people agree you cannot skim on earthquake related work.

Full vacancy they were empty?

or Full Capacity?
Full capacity. Filled with desirable stores and restaurants. I was blown away how nice everything was. I know Fresno/ Bakersfield have issues, but overall, I was super impressed of the Valley, and have been every time I have worked in the valley. If you like fresh produce, working on cars for fun, and not congested- the Valley looks like a great spot. I guess if one wants a hard copy of the NYT or Washington Post on Sunday morning, maybe they better match in Silicon Valley. But if you enjoy open areas, dry air, and great weather in the morning and the evening- the Valley is hard to beat IMO in my limited observation.

Last edited:
Your observation is very limited.

Because of the density of the cold air in the winter, winds are not able to dislodge the fog and the high pressure of the warmer air above the mountaintops presses down on the cold air trapped in the valley, resulting in a dense, immobile fog that can last for days or at times for weeks undisturbed. Tule fog often contains light drizzle or freezing drizzle where temperatures are sufficiently cold.
This stuff is terrible. And the highs in Bakersfield will be in excess of 100 degrees every day this week.

It doesn't cool off at night like coastal California.

Solar rooftop power is a must-or $800.00 electric bills are the norm (according to my good friend that lives there) in the summer time-you can't sleep at night it's so hot. AT 2 a.m. it will 84 degrees this Tuesday morning. AT midnight it will be 87 degrees. Your hotel room air conditioner is no charge to you.

Again-from someone who spent 50plus years in So Cal-Bakersfield is a hole.

But yea-houses are cheaper for a good reason.

Last edited:
It doesn't cool off at night like coastal California.

Solar rooftop power is a must-or $800.00 electric bills are the norm (according to my good friend that lives there) in the summer time-you can't sleep at night it's so hot. AT 2 a.m. it will 84 degrees this Tuesday morning. AT midnight it will be 87 degrees. Your hotel room air conditioner is no charge to you.

Again-from someone who spent 50plus years in So Cal-Bakersfield is a hole.

But yea-houses are cheaper for a good reason.
Pulling somebody's leg are we, $800.00 electric bills, can't sleep at night it's so hot, your friend live in a tent, my electric bill was $275.00, my AC is set at 78* all day, sleep nice and cool with ceiling fans and Bakersfield is a pretty nice city, 69 yrs in Cent Valley. ;)

Pulling somebody's leg are we, $800.00 electric bills, can't sleep at night it's so hot, your friend live in a tent, my electric bill was $275.00, my AC is set at 78* all day, sleep nice and cool with ceiling fans and Bakersfield is a pretty nice city, 69 yrs in Cent Valley. ;)
You don't run your air conditioner 24/7 ( AC is set at 78* all day-and you use ceiling fans a night)-if you did it's $800.00. Again-at 2 a.m. Tuesday morning it will be 84 degrees.
Im not arguing about the perception/reality of your city.

Last edited:
You don't run your air conditioner 24/7 ( AC is set at 78* all day-and you use ceiling fans a night)-if you did it's $800.00. Again-at 2 a.m. Tuesday morning it will be 84 degrees.
You made your point. You hate the Central Valley. Not everyone agrees with your viewpoint, no matter how much you think they should.

You misunderstood, my thermostat is set at 78* and the AC cycles on and off during the day, it was 76* this morning, so we can agree to disagree.. ;)

People hate farmers and ranchers but love to eat. We have some huge Dairies in the neighborhood and I thank them for being the idiot dairymen that grow food for the people that hate them . They understand . They are great neighbors.

Last edited:
You made your point. You hate the Central Valley. Not everyone agrees with your viewpoint, no matter how much you think they should.
At 10 or 11pm I open the windows turn the ceiling fan on high speed and sleep on top of the covers . I live for summer !

People hate farmers and ranchers but love to eat. We have some huge Dairies in the neighborhood and I thank them for being the idiot dairymen that grow food for the people that hate them . They understand . They are great neighbors.

I noticed dairy milk is 1/2 the cost of almond milk and for God's sake oat milk, I mean this is ridiculous when you think about how much work it takes to keep a cow vs growing oat and almond. $4/gal of organic whole milk (or $3/gal of fat free) vs $4/ half gallon of oat milk, seriously what is wrong in the world?

Unless of course one is subsidized and the other is not, and one is given away almost for free otherwise have to be dumped into the ground due to over production vs the other just sit in the warehouse and is produced on demand.

I like the humor you put in the comment, but agricultural is always and will always be full of politics around the world, and often for good reasons.

I noticed dairy milk is 1/2 the cost of almond milk and for God's sake oat milk, I mean this is ridiculous when you think about how much work it takes to keep a cow vs growing oat and almond. $4/gal of organic whole milk (or $3/gal of fat free) vs $4/ half gallon of oat milk, seriously what is wrong in the world?

Unless of course one is subsidized and the other is not, and one is given away almost for free otherwise have to be dumped into the ground due to over production vs the other just sit in the warehouse and is produced on demand.

I like the humor you put in the comment, but agricultural is always and will always be full of politics around the world, and often for good reasons.

I’m surprised more milk is not UHT treated.

I lived 5 happy years in Hanford, CA and am regularly tempted to move back.

It was like living in the Midwest, as the people were friendly, and the crime wasn’t too bad. NAS Lemoore helped with that, as most of us were transient and leaned on each other. If not for a caring NAS family, I don’t know how we would have managed the birth of my son while managing my other 2 kids. It was a very helpful community.

I was there to farm. More crops than you can imagine are grown there. Broccoli, salads of all types, onions, garlic, cotton, and the list goes on and on. We started seeing the water shortages in the early 2000’s and started playing with drip irrigation. I moved on when my desire to live in the Midwest again took over.

I miss the mountains. Not so much the frigid coast, but you can’t replace the mountain experience in CA. It was great when in February, you could actually see the mountains from our kitchen window. Most of the year an inversion layer kept in all the dust and limited visibility.

Hanford is, and always will be, my adopted home town.

I lived 5 happy years in Hanford, CA and am regularly tempted to move back.

It was like living in the Midwest, as the people were friendly, and the crime wasn’t too bad. NAS Lemoore helped with that, as most of us were transient and leaned on each other. If not for a caring NAS family, I don’t know how we would have managed the birth of my son while managing my other 2 kids. It was a very helpful community.

I was there to farm. More crops than you can imagine are grown there. Broccoli, salads of all types, onions, garlic, cotton, and the list goes on and on. We started seeing the water shortages in the early 2000’s and started playing with drip irrigation. I moved on when my desire to live in the Midwest again took over.

I miss the mountains. Not so much the frigid coast, but you can’t replace the mountain experience in CA. It was great when in February, you could actually see the mountains from our kitchen window. Most of the year an inversion layer kept in all the dust and limited visibility.

Hanford is, and always will be, my adopted home town.
What do you think was the main reason of the water shortage starting in 2000s?

What do you think was the main reason of the water shortage starting in 2000s?
I’m afraid to answer as I don’t want to shut the thread down, but you get the drift.

Agriculture did need to modernize its water practices, as they were way behind the technology. The Water districts were forcing that to happen, though not perfectly.

Bakers field and Redding California are the armpits of California.
Well...I know Bakersfield is but apparently there are some who see things I don't even though I spent 55 years of my life in Southern California with many trips through the central valley.

Back