Ruger SFAR

I have an Armalite SS T model and I built up a AR-10 using a Noveske barrel and upper/forearm. Both are really solid and 10 shot tack drivers. I personally shoot a lot of 30 cal rifles (308's, 06's my favorite, 300 WSM, 300WM, 300RUM) and for me the AR-10 is my least liked platform for 30's. Bulky and heavy with a much stouter recoil impulse than so many other cartridges in AR format.

This Ruger I'd love a chance to shoot as I'm all curious George to see how handy it could be and what the muzzle rise is for follow-up shots. Please come back and fill us in if you end up with one. Do you have an expected use? Or looking for a range toy with some pop? Will you be reloading for 308? Can't speak to the Ruger but AR-10 isn't difficult to load for and brass lasts longer than you'd think in a semi-auto.

Just to be a PITA ... have you played around with 300BLK? I have a Radian Arms 9" pistol upper (excellent quality) and oh my! Super light weight and small platform. First link. I also bought an upper for my girlfriend and went with an Aero complete ... really hard to beat for the price. So short and handy inside a home. I do not run the subs I run Hornady Black 110gr at times but mostly Hornady TAP 110 GMX. The 300BLK took the place of my 11.5 5.56. These guys are the definition of light and handy. I'm under 6lbs total weight with Scalawerks mount and a Holosun 507 green dot.

The cost of shooting 300BLK is a deterrent if you do not reload. That one is a bummer! Happy shooting to you!

I'm not a reloader(Yet), but my Dad a machinist for 40 years and has started getting into it.
I don't have any calibers that are expensive, but if I did I could head over on my day off to his shop.

Its barely worth it to reload 9mm or .223
He has a 30-40 krag he reloads for. Those are getting abit rare to find.

I think .308 under 1$ with sales now for basic ammo. I can get 18% off at Cabelas almost any day too.. also no tax in WV.(so about 25% off Cabelas OH website prices)

Just plinking and target have a few bolt actions.. looking for a semi-auto on next one
Have 76 acres to shoot on and am planning a longer range target setup hopefully over the winter when the Vegetation dies down.

I have a .223 bolt action already but was looking for something a little different.
Prefer less recoil than a 30-06 bolt action..
.223 recoil is nothing.

Disclaimer: currently sick as heck hopefully thats coherent.

Last edited:
Ruger makes excellent rifles, some of the best.
but I am very disapointed that they gave in to the current fad and changed the flash hider to a muzzle brake.
Think of a muzzle brake, as a"loudener" and flash bigger maker.
A muzzle brake will greatly increase the noise and flash from every shot making it easier to locate you during the chaos of a firefight. It does slightly lower recoil for competion purpsoes.
Flash hiders on the other hand are designed to lower your signature and are the thing to have.
Previous efforts from Ruger in this market came with a flash hider.

Since these are tactical rifles they should be set up as such and not as competion rifles

Whoever is next to you, on the range, will get ear damage from a single shot of 308 if their earpro slips, especially if its indoor.

I have an Armalite SS T model and I built up a AR-10 using a Noveske barrel and upper/forearm. Both are really solid and 10 shot tack drivers. I personally shoot a lot of 30 cal rifles (308's, 06's my favorite, 300 WSM, 300WM, 300RUM) and for me the AR-10 is my least liked platform for 30's. Bulky and heavy with a much stouter recoil impulse than so many other cartridges in AR format.

This Ruger I'd love a chance to shoot as I'm all curious George to see how handy it could be and what the muzzle rise is for follow-up shots. Please come back and fill us in if you end up with one. Do you have an expected use? Or looking for a range toy with some pop? Will you be reloading for 308? Can't speak to the Ruger but AR-10 isn't difficult to load for and brass lasts longer than you'd think in a semi-auto.

Just to be a PITA ... have you played around with 300BLK? I have a Radian Arms 9" pistol upper (excellent quality) and oh my! Super light weight and small platform. First link. I also bought an upper for my girlfriend and went with an Aero complete ... really hard to beat for the price. So short and handy inside a home. I do not run the subs I run Hornady Black 110gr at times but mostly Hornady TAP 110 GMX. The 300BLK took the place of my 11.5 5.56. These guys are the definition of light and handy. I'm under 6lbs total weight with Scalawerks mount and a Holosun 507 green dot.

The cost of shooting 300BLK is a deterrent if you do not reload. That one is a bummer! Happy shooting to you!
Yeah, .300 BLK is ridiculously priced. But the round performs so well, and my Daniel Defense is suppressed, and with subs, very, very quiet. It’s a 10.3” barrel, so even with the roughly 6” of suppressor on the end, still very handy.

A .308 AR is a great rifle, in my experience. The recoil impulse is les than that of a bolt gun, the capacity is excellent, the modularity allows a ton of options for stocks, accessories, hand guards, and you can go with a long range scope, LPVO, or red dot, depending on the intended use.

The latest magazine reviews of this Ruger were very positive. Of course, most magazine reviews are very positive, but if you’re interested, the March, 2023 issue of G&A features an article on the SFAR.

Ruger makes excellent rifles, some of the best.
but I am very disapointed that they gave in to the current fad and changed the flash hider to a muzzle brake.

Since these are tactical rifles they should be set up as such and not as competion rifles
As muzzle brake will greatly increase the noise and flash from every shot making it easier to locate you during the chaos of a firefight.
This of it as a"loudener" and flash bigger maker.
Flash hiders on the other hand are designed to lower your signature and are the thing to have.
Previous efforts from Ruger in this market came with a flash hider.

Whoever is next to you, on the range, will get ear damage from a single shot of 308 if their earpro slips
I am not a fan of muzzle brakes for that reason. So obnoxious when shooting next to a muzzle braked AR, or worse, a braked SBR/pistol. Had a guy next to me last week with a 10” barreled 7.62x39 with a brake. I finally leaned over and said, “Dude! You gotta’ get a can for that thing!” He laughed and admitted that it was obnoxious, and that his suppressor was still in BATF “jail”.

But man, it was loud…

Maybe the fact that I have about 100 of them has something to do with my preference.
Ah, OK, well, that certainly explains it! I’ve tried Lancer, Magpul, and a few other SR-25 pattern magazines, and they have all run great in my DPMS LR-308. Every gun store carries those SR-25 pattern magazines, so they’re easy to come by.

I am not a fan of muzzle brakes for that reason. So obnoxious when shooting next to a muzzle braked AR, or worse, a braked SBR/pistol. Had a guy next to me last week with a 10” barreled 7.62x39 with a brake. I finally leaned over and said, “Dude! You gotta’ get a can for that thing!” He laughed and admitted that it was obnoxious, and that his suppressor was still in BATF “jail”.

But man, it was loud…

10" 7.62x39 is for sure obnoxious! 6.8SPC is a pet for me since its inception. I have an 8" that was too much! I put a Noeske pig on it and it makes a big difference. It doesn't take the noise away but it funnels it forward quite a bit.

This is getting to be true with many calibers, as well as 12 gauge shotshells. Powder costs and availability are getting insane. So much so if I wasn't sitting on a large supply of shot, wads, and primers, I would cover up my shotshell presses, and simply shoot factory loads.

If you can even find shotshell powder, (the flake powders like Clay's, Red Dot, and 700-X, are all but impossible to find). And they're close to, if not over $350.00+ for a 8 pound jug when you do.

Add in primers and wads, along with shot at $50.00 @ 25 pound bag, and it isn't much, if any more expensive to shoot factory ammo.

I'm not a reloader(Yet), but my Dad a machinist for 40 years and has started getting into it.
I don't have any calibers that are expensive, but if I did I could head over on my day off to his shop.

I think .308 under 1$ with sales now for basic ammo. I can get 18% off at Cabelas almost any day too.. also no tax in WV.(so about 25% off Cabelas OH website prices)

Just plinking and target have a few bolt actions.. looking for a semi-auto on next one
Have 76 acres to shoot on and am planning a longer range target setup hopefully over the winter when the Vegetation dies down.

I have a .223 bolt action already but was looking for something a little different.
Prefer less recoil than a 30-06 bolt action..
.223 recoil is nothing.

Disclaimer: currently sick as heck hopefully thats coherent.
I save my .30-40 brass. And my 7.5x55 Swiss brass. I don’t reload, yet, but both calibers have become rather pricey. Reloading is definitely in my future.

I save any and all boxer primed, reloadable brass, in any and all calibers I shoot. I keep them in those big plastic tubs you can buy at Walmart. While some calibers like 9 MM doesn't pay to reload just yet, the way prices are going, that could change.

And even if it doesn't, it will always be worth scrap price. And even that keeps going up.

Read through the article on the SFAR. They liked it. Light weight. Modest recoil. Reliable. Close to 1 MOA. Good trigger. improved components for more durability. Adjustable gas system allows easy suppression.

I would buy it.

Back