royal purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like it is im thinking of trying it in my 2002 rodeo 4x4 and my 92 sentra on the next oil change

My opinion only. It's spotty.

Some cars chew the ---- out of it, it shears and doesn't protect as well as the $ shows. Other cars are just fine with RP. One guy used the 5W-40 in his Honda which requires 5W-20 and it did great, but it was a short run. Haven't seen many/any long drains on it to justify the cost.

Yep.... shears like crazy. If your looking for a high performance boutique synthetic oil, consider Amsoil. If your looking for a quality, widely available low priced synthetic oil, consider Pennzoil Platinum.

RP sheared on me and I had a lousy UOA. I agree with the gentleman above who recommends Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum. Both excellent, stable oils.....If RP was free I would pass.

Quote:

RP sheared on me and I had a lousy UOA. I agree with the gentleman above who recommends Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum. Both excellent, stable oils.....If RP was free I would pass.

The above statement could've been written by me, I completely agree with everything Sarge said and I too have had RP shear on me and show lousy wear numbers. Not only that, but I was given a free case of RP and I'm not even using it! So I literally will not use this oil even when given to me!
grin.gif

For just $5.99/qt after tax and with results like these, why on earth would I try anything else?

Also, there are numerous great UOAs of RP out there in different grades. Amsoil has had some bad UOAs, too, yet you dont see them getting painted with irrational generalizations. Everyone loves to hate the purple oil.

You haven't looked very hard if you don't see AMSOIL getting 'painted with irrational generalizations'. True, though RP tends to get beaten on, valid or not.

Indeed most all boutique oils get beat up when wear metals aren't all zero. To the point of some people making stuff up like conventional oil shows less wear, etc.

Most "bad UOAs" from Amsoil are in the 12K-25K mile range and typically there is something else going on. I won't say Royal Purple is a bad oil, it's just a variable oil - and when it gets rightly bagged the UOA's are the high metal, highly sheared UOA's in the 3-4K mile range. Yours and the guy running 5W-40 in his "5W-20" Honda seem to be the exception, but still those are 6K and 7.3K.

I`m running RP 15W40 currently (Walmart was out of my tried and true M1 15W50 silver cap at the time). So far it`s the smoothest oil I`ve ever run in my Z. So I`ll just say,so far so good.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`m running RP 15W40 currently (Walmart was out of my tried and true M1 15W50 silver cap at the time). So far it`s the smoothest oil I`ve ever run in my Z. So I`ll just say,so far so good.

I seem to recall RP advertising that their oil micro-polished engines. I had a new 2000 Civic that commuted at 3000 rpm. It buzzed like a sewing machine, and I could feel the vibration through the steering wheel. I put in RP and the vibration left rather quickly. Long term, I have no answer. I just use it once to remove vibration. I'm on a budget. I don't always have the cash for synthetics. I really like Chevron 10w30, but sometimes Wally-World has 5 qt jugs of 5w30 cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back